Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Keto diet = good or bad

Options

Replies

• mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    Fat is the new fiber? :)
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    Phirrgus wrote: »
    zeejane03 wrote: »

I stopped reading at "repetitive bowel blowouts"

I also can't remain unbiased when I see anything from that outlet..so excusing myself here...

Yeah...Fox News...
    Btw, it goes on to list side effects for other diets, like vegans and deficient b12 and gas from eating too many greens.

Re: the runs...It's not the lack of fiber in many cases, I don't think. If you put an oil-slick in your coffee or sauces, what do you expect to happen? :smirk:
    Some keto folk research before beginning or get advice from those who are veterans (who actually did research before jumping in) and figure out that drinking oil and overloading the fat is not necessary. Many keto gurus on YouTube and around tell people they have to gorge on fat. Keto for weightloss is not about the fat in as much as it's about the lack of carbs and getting enough protein. Fat naturally fills in for the lack of carbs (calorie-wise), but slathering butter and cheese all over everything isn't the way to do things. Sure, cook veggies in some fat for the NOM factor. But beyond that, the fat in your meat and dairy, and modest fat for cooking and sauce, are sufficient.
    I always advise people this macro priority:
    • Carbs are a ceiling in grams.
    • Protein is a range based upon your height, weight, and activity level.
    • Fill the rest of your calories with fat.
    The right level of carbs keeps you in ketosis, which helps suppress appetite in some, and can help with blood glucose management. The right protein keeps you from losing too much LBM. The fat keeps hormones balanced and helps with those fat-soluble micros. Too much fat though is just going to make you live in the bathroom. Why do that? Those that don't count calories and depend only on satiety signals can get into trouble by exceeding calories with too much fat as well. Those signals aren't always very reliable for some. I'm one of those. Fat is just not that satisfying for some people.

And also from that link:
    Sure, “Keto Crotch” is stealing the spotlight recently — but let’s not forget that smell can drift upwards, resulting in some seriously stank breath.

So stank crotch makes your breath smell bad? :joy: Say what, now?
    Keto Crotch sounds like a good supervillian. Stealing spotlights and what not...with her dastardly minion, Keto Breath. Looks like we need Carb Man (suitably dressed with his unders over his unnecessarily tight pants) to rescue us from this menace.

Well ... Oh, how easy it is to misunderstand, perhaps even intentionally. The idea would be that smells based on a problem can manifest in other areas.
    Now, per the analysis a gynecologist gave, this would indeed be a misunderstanding. Keto crotch is proposed to be based on vaginal pH changes, while Keto breath is a result of acetone production and elimination. I have a hard time thinking someone is going to inform people about how a low carb diet should be done but be utterly unfamiliar with the acetone breath as a possible result of it. I've never read a low carbohydrate book that didn't mention the acetone smell as something possible, including advising hydration to help reduce it.

Naturally.
    How the writer expressed that idea (smells based on a problem may additionally manifest elsewhere) didn't come out quite right though. :joy:

I don't disagree with the gyno. It's entirely possible for pH changes. The female system can get upset quite regularly by a great number of things. Keto is also accused of disrupting the cycle due to hormone release during weight loss as I understand things. The weight loss can possibly make the cycle worse or better, often after about 3 months worth of complete wonkiness. And that's largely a YMMV. However, I've read doctors and keto folk alike claim that those going from higher-carb diets to low-carb or keto have less issues with various womenly infections if they had them chronically up till then. Of course, I don't doubt the reverse may be true of some subset. We human females are complicated. Many variables.

Though I am slightly suspicious that this may be a case of the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Many things attributed to keto, both beneficial and detrimental, are also side effects of weight loss. Telogen effluvium, improved metabolic markers (cholesterol and diabetes), cycle disruptions, and many others. Could the keto crotch thing be another? Maybe. I mean, few people desire crotch discussion of that type. Maybe it's a weight loss side effect for some people, they just don't feel comfortable talking about it? Or it could just be a keto thing. I'm open to legitimate evidence to the contrary of my uncertain stance on keto crotch. Jury is out for me pending better data than interweb n=1 and clickbaity articles, IMO. But like I said, I concede it's possible. The breath thing...well. That's probably just keto.

Personally, if my body responded with both those 2 villains I mentioned, I'd likely have fled from keto myself after giving Carb Man a call.
    I had the breath issue temporarily only. It was worth it to stick it out as I was able to a consistently maintain a calorie deficit pretty easily.

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

I also can't remain unbiased when I see anything from that outlet..so excusing myself here...

lol...oh my goodness....i must repeat that " repetitive bowel blowouts "

You're missing out. If you continued reading, you got this gem of a sentence: "Not eating enough fiber — or eating too much fiber — can leave your booty backed up."

Gah.

Yup, inane content, very poorly written, and on the fox news site . . . it's kind of a tridefecta, innit?

And they didn't even write it! It was originally published in the New York Post. If you're going to borrow content, why not shoot for the well-written stuff?

Maybe they no longer know the difference...

Maybe they never did...
  • lleeann2001
    lleeann2001 Posts: 412 Member
    Options

lol...oh my goodness....i must repeat that " repetitive bowel blowouts "

You're missing out. If you continued reading, you got this gem of a sentence: "Not eating enough fiber — or eating too much fiber — can leave your booty backed up."

Gah.

lol
  • alisonpinnell
    alisonpinnell Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    keto is great for weight loss but not a sustainable diet
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options

I'm four years in now, so we know it can be sustainable.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options

@alisonpinnell how long did you do Keto full time before you decided it was not a sustainable diet in your case. One MD claims he has been in nutrition ketosis for 40 years which is a while.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

I'm four years in now, so we know it can be sustainable.

Perhaps sustainable was not in reference to the individual.

What does "sustainable" mean, on a group/population level? Or are you just talking "for the majority", in a general way?

Not trying to be confrontational; it's just that I've always thought of sustainability (in a "can a person/people keep it up" sense, not the ecological sense) as an individual thing, so hard to generalize about . . . so curious.
This discussion has been closed.