March 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    OMG I'm actually excited I found this! Not a super awesome runner but I would like to get in at least 3 miles daily. I've done a few 5ks in the past 2 years and I absolutely love it. I have one coming up next month. Hopefully a 10k by the end of the year for the Resolution Run. *crossing fingers*

Welcome! And yes, love the avatar!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    @shanaber aww I hate it that Hobbes the Vizsla is so traumatized by that attack. Glad it all worked out. Do you plan on any desensitization type work with him?
  • Butterchop
    Butterchop Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Happy belated to @amirahdaboss and @ContraryMaryMary .

@7lenny7 hope you're not too sore today!

@Elise4270 hope you're upcoming visit goes well.

1 mile and change before PT circuit training this morning, little over 6 in yesterday. Pick up the new trail shoes tomorrow and going to try them out/break them in right away. Hope is for somewhere between 12 and 18 tomorrow. Then easy runs next week, and taper the following culminating in a trial trail marathon on 3/30. I am still not sure what snack to bring for the aid station, any suggestions?

Also have signed up for a 10K in Rainsville, AL, that looks like a load of fun. this one . If anyone else in the group is running it please let me know, I will be in town Friday evening and all day Saturday before the race, and would enjoy putting faces with names usernames, :D

I live 10 minutes from this race and have been debating doing the 10 k. It is the only "big" race we have close. All the money raised stays to local charities which I usually know. It is just going to be so hot then I am hesitating but I can come cheer you on if nothing else.
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    Rest day today. Spent 4 hours in the car getting to Virginia Beach. Several annoying stretches of construction and traffic, but much less stressful with plenty of time built in. I'll call the plan of taking 2 days to get here a winner.

I actually got to the expo before it closed, picked up my bibs, and went to talk to the folks at the registration desk. J&A Racing had sent me an ad to upgrade my half marathon to the Dolphin Challenge (8K + Half Marathon). But I was already registerd for the 8K. Question: Am I in the Dolphin Challenge for running both races, or am I not in it because the USATF Masters 8K is technically a different race than the Towne Bank Shamrock 8K? Turns out I can't be counted for Dolphin Challenge standings without messing up the USATF bib. But the nice lady traded my half marathon bib for a Dolphin Challenge bib, so I can get the Dolphin Challenge medal for running both races. Which is why I need two singlets, since I won't be able to do laundry between the 8K tomorrow and the half on Sunday:
    xm88mkdajhu1.jpg

And speaking of multiple races on the same weekend . . . I thought of @PastorVincent when I was at the expo. I saw an oval magnet with 48.6 inside. The caption around the margin said, "This was a Dopey idea." If I were contemplating the Dopey Challenge, I would have bought one.

Have fun @MobyCarp! I know 2 people who did the whale challenge last year. They loved that race. :)
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    On another note. I won $150 to spend on Nike products. @ContraryMaryMary if you aren't already, jump on iconic sport challenge @orphia and other aussies/kiwis you too.

I'm getting some winter gloves and sleeves thanks to your recommendations. It's fun having a browse. Not sure what else I'll get. It's kinda fun!

@Avidkeo Hahaha, jealous! I've been doing the Nike challenge over and over and haven't won anything. :smiley:

I think this is the third year I've done the Iconic Sport Challenge. I completed every challenge both times. Can't remember if I won anything last year, but IIRC I won a couple of things in 2017. This time I'm just going for Nike till all prizes go, then see how many others I have time to do.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @shanaber aww I hate it that Hobbes the Vizsla is so traumatized by that attack. Glad it all worked out. Do you plan on any desensitization type work with him?
    @elise4270 - It is weird because he goes to daycare once a week and plays with all kinds of other dogs as well as the pups he sees in our classes and at agility and he is just fine with all of them. I am thinking maybe it is because he is on leash and these other dogs are not... I don't know but he just cowered. With the dog that jumped him a few weeks ago, he wanted to play and the other dog went after him. So I guess cowering is better than attacking or being aggressive but I would have liked to see him react playfully. He may also have been picking up on my initial fear as well.
    It did make me wonder if the dog had been coming after us, what I could have done. I guess kicked at it because other than my phone I had nothing. I could go back to carrying my little air horn but it is kind of a pain in the butt.

Ya poor Hobbes. He definitely could have pick up on your anxiety. Least he understands the difference in daycare dogs and stranger-danger dogs. If a dog comes after you, you know you can always (try) to use the leash as a weapon and restrain (strangle) the attacking dog. I hope that never has to happen though.

Thanks to @Butterchop and everyone else for the well wishes. It’ll be a long road, I’ll try not to fuss about it too much more (outside the cathartic injured runners thread).
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    And speaking of multiple races on the same weekend . . . I thought of @PastorVincent when I was at the expo. I saw an oval magnet with 48.6 inside. The caption around the margin said, "This was a Dopey idea." If I were contemplating the Dopey Challenge, I would have bought one.

Maybe if I ever do raise the funds you can come join us! B)
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Interesting read.... if you like reading and are a runner or something :)

Kara Goucher Shares Why She’s Leaving Roads for the Leadville Trail Marathon
    The two-time Olympian will make the high-altitude event her trail running race debut.
    http://www.runnersworld.com/news/a26755214/kara-goucher-runs-leadville-trail-marathon/

If you hit a paywall (I did not) try THIS LINK instead.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Might dreadmill later, not sure... GI issues right now. Do not like running with GI issues...