Over 60 still trying

Replies

• daklock
    daklock Posts: 54 Member
    @Longing4Maui
    Keep it up. You are doing great. Working on my next 30 pounds down to get to the 200 mark. We can do this together.
  • Longing4Maui
    Longing4Maui Posts: 51 Member
    @21RelentlessOne , add me as a friend if you would like. I cannot relate to the weight loss surgery, but did have recent surgery for diverticulitis that was not responding to meds. SO GLAD that is over now, and I am feeling so much better and enjoying my loved strawberries, nuts, popcorn and so much more yummies that I had to avoid for a few years. This thread is good, so many helpful ‘friends’ that keep you encouraged and inspired.
  • Longing4Maui
    Longing4Maui Posts: 51 Member
    @alteredsteve175 , I see so many referenced of HITT for fitness exercise, guess I am old as I don’t know what that means?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,953 Member
    @alteredsteve175 , I see so many referenced of HITT for fitness exercise, guess I am old as I don’t know what that means?

HIIT = High Intensity Interval Training. It means alternating periods of very high intensity (max effort) with lower effort. It's really trendy right now and

1. It's being oversold as to benefits, especially for beginners, and
    2. Many things are being described at HIIT that don't actually qualify as HIIT in the form that was researched to identify those benefits that it actually does have.

Steve's right: A couple of times a week max would be sensible for real HIIT.

HIIT (like rowing machine Tabata intervals) is something I've done as part of training for racing in the past, and it does have some useful benefits. But doing it every day is really not a great plan, and many things people describe as HIIT aren't HIIT in the classic definition (though they're still good & useful exercise modalities on their own). Steady state (slower, consistent pace) cardio for longer durations is also helpful, and so are regular intervals (moderately higher intensity alternated with easy intensity for multiple repetitions).
  • skytuner
    skytuner Posts: 11 Member
    edited April 2019
    Inspirational 72- year old in a cross-fit gym... I have never been this fit at any point in my life!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OUdO2Y_Mm8
  • megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    I am 64 and also looked into getting surgery. When I lost 56 pounds pre surgery diet I realized I could do this. Lots of starts and stops but I am 84 pounds lower then I was there and still losing, slow but steady. I came to realize I love foods and would not have been happy being so restricted with the surgery. Now I can have all my favorite foods, just not often and in small portions. Anyone my age want to add me as a friend I can always use them.
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

HIIT = High Intensity Interval Training. It means alternating periods of very high intensity (max effort) with lower effort. It's really trendy right now and

1. It's being oversold as to benefits, especially for beginners, and
    2. Many things are being described at HIIT that don't actually qualify as HIIT in the form that was researched to identify those benefits that it actually does have.

Steve's right: A couple of times a week max would be sensible for real HIIT.

HIIT (like rowing machine Tabata intervals) is something I've done as part of training for racing in the past, and it does have some useful benefits. But doing it every day is really not a great plan, and many things people describe as HIIT aren't HIIT in the classic definition (though they're still good & useful exercise modalities on their own). Steady state (slower, consistent pace) cardio for longer durations is also helpful, and so are regular intervals (moderately higher intensity alternated with easy intensity for multiple repetitions).

Thank you, Ann. Great synopsis on HIIT. Really just another way to get a workout in.

Recently I have been doing sled sprints. The sled has a low crossbar and upright pipes so that you can push it from either end. I load the sled with 50 lbs. Push it as fast as possible 25 yds on the turf - low bar one way - upright the other. Every minute on the minute. I've done 12 without stopping. I've done 18 with a couple of one or two minute rest periods. My legs and lungs are burning when I finish. But I can't imagine doing that more that once or twice a week. My goal is twenty reps without a long rest period.

• alteredsteve175
    skytuner wrote: »
    Inspirational 72- year old in a cross-fit gym... I have never been this fit at any point in my life!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OUdO2Y_Mm8

Thanks for sharing this, @skytuner. That woman is an inspiration!
  • AnnPT77
    skytuner wrote: »

<excellent video snipped, for reply length, see it in post above>

Very inspiring!

Major fitness progress is achievable at any age, with patient attention to sensible, gradual progress, assuming we don't fall prey to "a tyranny of low expectations".

At least that's what I keep hoping, and counting on. ;)
  • rscott1571
    rscott1571 Posts: 5 Member
    I’m 57, I lost 35.6 lbs in 58 days! I wanted to quit every one of those days! All you can do is take it one day at a time and rely on small victories to keep you going. Good Luck and stay busy😉
  • alteredsteve175
    Major fitness progress is achievable at any age, with patient attention to sensible, gradual progress, assuming we don't fall prey to "a tyranny of low expectations".

That is a great insight, Ann. I need to remember that phrase.

• AnnPT77

That is a great insight, Ann. I need to remember that phrase.

I stole the phrase from CSARdiver here, though he was talking about something entirely different from aging (but it's a phase that's been used by speechmakers for decades, it turns out).

But I find the concept really meaningful and important when it comes to activity and aging. Too often, so little is expected of us, and we even come to expect little of ourselves, "because I'm getting too old for that". Very low ultimate goals are set for us (sometimes by ourselves).

There's nothing we're too old to try, and - absent true roadblocks (age is not one) - to improve at.

I'm not saying that there are no roadblocks. Injury (or clear and present vulnerability to it) can be a roadblock, body mass can be a roadblock, disease or disability can be a roadblock, weakness or lack of flexibility can be a roadblock, and more. Some of those may be more common with age, or risks of them loom larger, but those things are not synonyms for aging, and they're all experienced by young people, too. And some of those "roadblocks" are things we can chip away at, and improve at, or find ways to work around, if we choose to do so.

I'm not saying everyone needs to try everything, or do everything, or risk everything. That would be silly.

I'm saying that we can be clear-eyed about what issues and limitations we personally actually have, decide what we'd like to work on or achieve, figure out how to work around or through personal roadblocks, work persistently and patiently . . . and surprise ourselves with what we can achieve. At 60+, we're often better at some of those things (clear-eyed self-assessing, planning, persistence, patience) than a lot of younger folks.

Low expectations - our own or others' - shouldn't be a roadblock. That would be silly, too. :drinker:

Sorry about the sermon. :flowerforyou:

P.S. I think this post by one of my MFP friends is a stellar example, and there are many others here as well.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10296584/18-months-and-going-strong-w-pics

(and she still keeps going!).
  • 1martinimomma
    1martinimomma Posts: 11 Member
    Hi everyone. I am 63 and would very much like to join in the over 60 group. I just restarted my weight loss journey after taking a year off and gaining back all 20 lbs I lost. So, back to it. Started at the end of March and it's been slow going even eating below my allotted calories and riding my recumbent bike. Look forward to sharing in our weight loss journey.
  • alteredsteve175
    Sorry about the sermon. :flowerforyou:

Preach it, Reverend Ann! I enjoy reading your posts. They are always insightful and well-reasoned. Don't ever stop!
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,299 Member
    I lose more weight during the nice weather too like mkcuts13 & it's coming quick. I did lose a pound. Been doing alot better not eating after dinner. Today I worked at my part time job then went out for 2 walks with the dogs, saw a friend & got to talking so I just finished dinner. I have to admit I did lower expectations of myself as I got older & now that I hit 65, I lowered them still although I think I did actually go down a notch the past year but I honestly don't know if it's in my head or if I really did physically. I'm at a cross roads as what to do with Eleanor dog. She's a stray I found on December 19. We put her in our daughter's back yard because we have 6 dogs & didin't know how she was with dogs. Found owner after almost a month, gave her back then owner gave her back to our daughter when she saw how sad her & kids were. I started taking her out for walks & dog park so she jumped the fence between our houses to be with us all the time & didn't want to go back to her. This is where the age thing comes in. I don't know if I feel up to having a young dog around. Also I wanted to volunteer with the animal rescue i'm involved in some mornings & not walk the dogs on those mornings since most of my dogs are seniors so if I keep her I feel responsible to take her out every day. Today the friend I ran into was her former owner. She can walk her every morning & wants to take her back if I decide I don't want to keep her. We have a quiet home with our dogs & I like it. Eleanor is like having a child around again. I don't know what I want yet, I do want what's best for her but also have a little more freedom.
  • mkculs13
    mkculs13 Posts: 599 Member
    @Evamutt, wow. I'm struggling with a dog I don't want, too. A student said she didn't have time right now (in December), so I took him to hold for her. Now she cannot take him back. He was not socialized and became reactive when I started to do things with him--like a walk. GSD and big. I'm looking for help from GSD rescues but may have to surrender him to a shelter. I was not in a position to take a dog permanently and did not have that intention--and esp. not one who will be so much work. I have my Aussie and while there are a lot of similarities, there are a lot of differences, too. And, most importantly, I raise my pups right so they haven't had any serious behavior issues. I've done my best by him and have gone to training, vet, etc.

Someone said to me, "Companion animals are supposed to add joy to our lives. Don't let one ruin it." That helped--plus the fact that he would be a great dog for anyone wanting all the work that comes with owning one of this breed.