WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2019

Replies

• bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    good nights sleep, weight is back up after not tracking much this week, but above all, eating a pack of rice cakes Thursday and similar yesterday. I have been getting exercise.

I'm invited to a 50th birthday party of a guy who used to organise a sort of unofficial research discussion seminar a few years ago. i've been invited a few times before to his bashes. they are very trendy and hip with lots of people. He's very kind and slightly a mover and shaker in his creative field, doing interesting creative research. I usually meet a few nice people, always run into a few I know from studies, and often, not always feel "less than"many of the people there - less trendy, less accomplished, less young (I think his longterm girlfriend - a beautiful dancer- is at least 10 years younger and so are al of her friends).

He's not rich but bought his home in a poor part of town decades ago at rock bottom prices and now he has this big place in the city which has become more gentrified.

A few years ago he asked me to give tips to his girlfriend on something, on something in my field. He was so generous with his time to us all, I felt obliged. I really didn't want to, but felt in view of his constant generosity to us all I couldn't refuse to help his girlfriend who was nice enough but with whom I didn't have a strong connection at all. I met her in a café and she truly had forgotten/lost her credit card and so I had to pay for her coffee and snack, as we didn't realise to til the bill came. (and she was stressing about having possibly lost the card) And the waiter, not so very young, came over and asked if she was an actress, saying she was so beautiful, hovering around a bit. She was ill at ease about all this and so was I. I'm very often giving people little tips when asked, but here don't know it was a bit forced.

last week I was invited to a birthday party of someone I know pretty well who always has big b-day parties and I always know at least half the people. I ended up not going.i think I was so stressed about the lawyer thing, and it was pouring out (and I go either by scooter or by subway) and I really thought I SHOULD go and would like it, but just COULD NOT bring myself to go.

I'm afraid I might do the same this evening, OR that I go and once again feel myself less trendy, less this less that. I don't feel that usually , but he tends to know quite successful people in his artsy field.

I'm gonna try to have a good and normal day after this high stress week.

• bananasandoranges
    ✔️1. weighed in 59.5 up !
    X 2. tracked
    ✔️3.30 min exercise yest
    ✔️4. five minutes meditation yest
    X 5.Spend at least 2h on long term writing project yest
    X 6.produce at least 7-finished pages per day average long term yest
    X7. Take care of at least one shorter (1 pagish) writing or administrative task/bill, (union work doesn't count) yest
    X 8. At least 15 min cleaning yest
    X9. At least 15 min filing/paperwork yest
    X 10.average 1100 calories net yesterday

• Overall Feeling : relieved but concerned, slightly hopeful and also discouraged
    • Tracking : no
    • Exercise yesterday : 15 min elliptical + walkng to gym and back plus another thing
    • 1100 calories net average : no
    • Long term writing 2h west : not 2 h
    • produce at least 7-finished pages per day average long term writing project yest (from May 25 to June 10, minus Sundays) yesterday : 5 pages reread and sent, not great work but progress
    • Short term writing/admin :no
    • Bright Spots : sorted out lawyer thing after a few more very tense days, some decent people at work, met this very nice friend's out of town brother at an event

Grateful :
    1.lawyers coming through for me
    2. one of the correctors is really on the ball and communicative
    3.met a friend's brother at a function and we had a really nice little talk
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 17,924 Member
    Heather: So sorry for your loss. Celebrate your friendship by continuing to live your life well. It's what a friend like her would want for you. (((Hugs))) and (((Prayers))) for you, her family, and herother friends over the days ahead.
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 17,924 Member
    I just wrot a long post which disappeared because I got timed out. I have been reading and catching up for 2 days now but don't have time now to redo my post. More later.

☘️Terri
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Still catching up but just read the news about your dear friend Ros Heather, so sorry for your loss <3<3

Viv UK
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    <3B)
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Morning, afternoon and evening all,

My wishes go out for a safe and sane Memorial Day weekend to my American counterparts--Corey doesn't get the holiday, as landscaping crews are in full swing this time of year, and breaking things is the nature of the job. He's the fixer, or as he chuckled when they gave him the title, the "Asset Reliability Manager." I'm looking forward to a Monday that's mine, all mine!

My weight is back down to where it was the day of my knee replacement on Feb. 5, 183.5, which makes me very happy. The iron isn't gumming up my system too badly, and the Crohns-type symptoms have completely disappeared after the week of antibiotics, so I'm grateful for my health today, as the respiratory thing that started three days after the antibiotics is also almost cleared up.

After I finish talking to y'all, I'm out to find my grubbing hoe and gloves and start the process of clearing the front flower beds in preparation for putting down weed-stop and mulch. I'll have to channel my mother for a while - she loved gardening, which I honestly do not, but many of my memories involve my mother, head down, butt up in the air, even in her early 70s, evicting weeds from one of her many flower beds. We have an odd genetic trait that, no matter the age, the women in my family have always been able to bend over and put their hands flat on the floor, so bending double for long lengths of time is easy. This is a good thing, because all of us also have bad knees.

Want to get the hard work in before it gets up in the 90-degree range this afternoon, as the whole weekend is supposed to be hot and dry. Honestly a relief after months with rain every single week - and the Arkansas River is supposed to crest at over 41 feet, highest ever recorded, on Sunday. A significant portion of land near the river is under water, but as we live at significantly higher elevations, about six miles up in the foothills, it's not an issue for us. Just feel for the people who are struggling, and it's not even yet as bad as it's going to get.

Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,706 Member
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    Femfleur and other new girls- We are a large group; but a wonderful and caring group! Some try to respond to everyone and some (most) of us do a fair amount of skimming the posts. Please do not feel put out that some one didn't respond to you. Not intended to ignore or exclude. I just think most of us are at that age where it is near impossible to keep everything in our heads. Remember to log every bite/sip, keep moving daily, and come visit often! Tell us about your selves and what you wish to be called. Welcome!

Well said! :)

If I've got time or if something grabs my attention, I'll respond to several. If not, I'll pretty much just post my exercise or I'll skip a day here and there. Or anywhere in between. :)

Sometimes there are topics going ... like a recent one about fridges. If I've got something to contribute to the current topic, I'll throw my 2 cents in without responding personally to anyone. But when it came to fridges, I didn't have anything to say. I've owned one and only fridge, the one we've got, and I couldn't even tell you what brand it is off hand!!

M in Oz

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,120 Member
    Ros 's funeral is set for the 12th June. I can get to it, but am waiting for a few more details. It will be very emotional.

Feel very achey today, for no special reason. Hips, legs etc. .......???

Have I ever told you I HATE Bank Holidays! ?! :laugh: Went out to a local fete this morning, but didn't find anything to buy. Wandered back via our local shops and found some goat meat in the butcher's. I will cook a goat and sweetcorn curry on Monday. It's supposed to be Goan. :o Delicious, anyway!
    Tonight is chicken curry that I previously froze, so I'm going to cook a cauliflower baji to go with it.

Newspaper to read. I have my bank holiday mood on. :s

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • Machka9
    Have I ever told you I HATE Bank Holidays! ?! :laugh:
    Love Heather UK xxxxxxx

Why?

Any stat holiday is a good thing!! Gives me a break from the usual chaos and often a chance to get a little bit extra sleep.

Machka in Oz

• Machka9
    I was on another thread with about 8- 10 people a few years ago and used to read all and respond to all, and it could take an hour a day to write a thoughtful response. I find with this group we are so numerous that it's beyond me. I occasionally write to many and try to read any personals to my intention. I see most gals on this thread do not respond to personals when I do write them.
    so then I don't bother that much with writing to them after a while.

A couple tips ...

If you're talking to a certain person, try quoting them. That way they know who you're talking to and the rest of us do too. Then we might join into the conversation. :)

If you want to attract the attention of a particular person use @bananasandoranges ... that's the @ symbol and your user name. For me it would be @ Machka9 ... without the space in between the @ and the Machka9. When you use @ and the person's user name, it sends that person a notification.

That way, if we're busy and only have time to skim, we can go directly to the post where our name is mentioned. :)

M in Oz

• bananasandoranges
    got exercise and cleaning in today, and have tracked breakfast and lunch.

already that. feeling like napping.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I was on another thread with about 8- 10 people a few years ago and used to read all and respond to all, and it could take an hour a day to write a thoughtful response. I find with this group we are so numerous that it's beyond me. I occasionally write to many and try to read any personals to my intention. I see most gals on this thread do not respond to personals when I do write them.
    so then I don't bother that much with writing to them after a while.

A couple tips ...

If you're talking to a certain person, try quoting them. That way they know who you're talking to and the rest of us do too. Then we might join into the conversation. :)

If you want to attract the attention of a particular person use @bananasandoranges ... that's the @ symbol and your user name. For me it would be @ Machka9 ... without the space in between the @ and the Machka9. When you use @ and the person's user name, it sends that person a notification.

That way, if we're busy and only have time to skim, we can go directly to the post where our name is mentioned. :)

M in Oz

This.

Karen in Virginia

• sparkle43
    sparkle43 Posts: 19 Member
    I would like to join your group. Right now I am in process of a Rotar cuff but do exercies two which thereapist has given me and a needle to help the pain be less. I have been on the fitnesspal filling out my daily food eating. My dr has been discussing what I eat for me being 77. Long story but I am here.
  • Patchworkperson
    Patchworkperson Posts: 151 Member
    Hi Ladies, I'm so pleased to have found you again (I was here some years ago). Allow me to re-introduce myself - I'm Geri, live in UK with OH Derek. We have 2 gorgeous grandsons that are my world. I have yoyo'd for years but am now at my heaviest & my knees have been slowly getting worse so I have a hospital appt to discuss knee surgery next month. I'm pretty sure the advice will be loose weight before surgery is contemplated so once again, its time for me to get serious.

Looking forward to getting to know you.

Best wishes

Geri
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Kate UK <3
  • lcharpentier2
    lcharpentier2 Posts: 331 Member
    Today marks my fifth day of healthy eating. Now to stay with it. I read all thirty two posts from the time I was here yesterday. But to post to every one would take hours. I did that years ago but know the group got to big.
    So good luck to all of you trying to lose those extra lbs.
    Working the garden is supper healthy and great exercise.

Move more eat less. the only way to get to where we want to get.

Linda in Northern Ontario.