Options

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Just saw this on the site of a trail race I was looking at and I'm dying :D

k9ztv2bmn376.png

Seems very reasonable. Which race?

It's the Mountain Madness 50k, but I am NOT looking at the 50k distance! Lol. There's 25k and 7 mile options as well and I'm looking at the 7 mile one - I'm trying to do more trail running but I've only ever done 2 trail races - a 4 miler and a 5k.

https://sites.google.com/site/njtrailseries/mountainmadness

Here's another funny snippet -

f9ahdo9ugouo.png

Sounds like a great group of people based on what you posted so far. By September you can easily be ready for a 7-mile race if you are already reaching in the 4-mile range. I mean you could probably reach the 25km distance by September if you decided you really wanted to.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Summer has definitely arrived here. I spent at least 5 minutes this morning trying to scrub the grubby line off the middle of my thighs before it dawned on me that oh, I'm getting a tan line from my running shorts. D'oh.
    In other running related news, I got overexcited and went 11km on my long run on Tuesday instead of the 10km I was planning, and instead of taking the river trail I made up a route along the seafront promenade and then back round the back of town so it was all pavement and included some hills towards the end. Knees felt really heavy afterwards and yesterday, and although they loosened up nicely after a couple of gentle miles this morning they started out as stiff as hell. Luckily I was due to see the evil twin physio this morning anyway for a massage. She got a kind of twinkle in her eye when I mentioned the knee/heaviness thing and oh boy did she go to town on them. One leg was the bottom of my quad (usual suspect) but the other she spent about 20 minutes really digging into the outside of my knee area and has left it very red and swollen (but admittedly feeling better than it did).
    I'm praying this is just my legs getting used to it again as I increase the mileage. I'm praying that 5 miles isn't really as far as my legs will ever let me run without kicking up a fuss. I guess only time will tell.
    Anyway, no more long runs until my 10km race on the evening of Saturday 15th, will make myself stick to 3 miles at a time max.
    After that I'll see how the legs are feeling and either go back to the 15km plan I was doing or stick to my current mileage for a while before I start the HM plan in August.

June goal: 75km. Run so far: 19.46km

You will just have to see how it goes, listen to your body and all that but I would encourage you to keep at it. It will take time to rebuild milage. Little by little, easy does it and all that. :)
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options

k9ztv2bmn376.png

It's the Mountain Madness 50k, but I am NOT looking at the 50k distance! Lol. There's 25k and 7 mile options as well and I'm looking at the 7 mile one - I'm trying to do more trail running but I've only ever done 2 trail races - a 4 miler and a 5k.

f9ahdo9ugouo.png

Sounds like a great group of people based on what you posted so far. By September you can easily be ready for a 7-mile race if you are already reaching in the 4-mile range. I mean you could probably reach the 25km distance by September if you decided you really wanted to.

Oh yeah, I'm not too worried about the distance in general. But, it will be in the midst of my marathon training for Marine Corps Marathon at the end of October and I don't want to do anything too technical or risky since I keep injuring myself during marathon training, lol.

Although.....if this race is around the same time this year as it was last year I might actually consider the 25k distance, since according to my marathon plan I'll have an 18 mile long run on 9/22 and 14 miles on 9/29. Hmmm......things to ponder!

I do need to do some research on good trails near me to use for regular training runs. Fun stuff!
  • PastorVincent
    Options

k9ztv2bmn376.png

f9ahdo9ugouo.png

Oh yeah, I'm not too worried about the distance in general. But, it will be in the midst of my marathon training for Marine Corps Marathon at the end of October and I don't want to do anything too technical or risky since I keep injuring myself during marathon training, lol.

Although.....if this race is around the same time this year as it was last year I might actually consider the 25k distance, since according to my marathon plan I'll have an 18 mile long run on 9/22 and 14 miles on 9/29. Hmmm......things to ponder!

I do need to do some research on good trails near me to use for regular training runs. Fun stuff!

Trails are soooooo much nicer to run on. I wish I had some closer to me.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    I have a sick child thwarting my running plans (quickly googles how long you can legally leave a 5-year-old at home alone for...)

I'm not advocating for or against leaving a kiddo... But something like this if you were to say run laps close to home might be "not really left alone"

Just in case i messed up the hyperlink
    Eh I'll have to come back from the iPad and embed that long *kitten* link. -ETA ✅
  • PastorVincent
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Date...........Run.......Walk
    06/01........12M.......0.0M
    06/02........12M.......0.0M
    06/03........00M.......3.5M
    06/04........00M.......0.0M
    06/05........11M.......0.0M
    06/06........11M.......3.5M

---MTD: 7 miles walking, 46 miles running, and 0KM resting

Upcoming Races
    Hell Have No Hurry 50k Trail Race - June 29th
    Fleet Feet Liberty Mile - August 9th
    Howl at the Moon - Nighttime 5k - August 10
    EQT Pittsburgh 10 Miler - November 2nd

(a few more races yet to register for)

202? - Disney World Dopey! (if can raise funds)

2019 GOAL: Knock a full hour off my 50k time at Hell Have No Hurry
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    I have a sick child thwarting my running plans (quickly googles how long you can legally leave a 5-year-old at home alone for...)

LOL that's annoying and yeah I know you wouldn't do it.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options

Not to scare you... but we had child protective services called on us on time because my son at like 6 or 7 was... playing in our front yard, while my wife was just on the other side of the window. *shrugs*

Meanwhile, I grew up under "I don't want to see your face again till the street lights come on" :smiley:

Oh sure, until you’re a teenager and it becomes, “where do you think you’re going?” Haha!

5 is young, but I only half suggested it because different areas/cultures may have different rules. And maybe it’s okay in @ContraryMaryMary ‘s world. In our parts I think 10 is the norm, but that isn’t that all 10 yo’s can be left alone. My oldest boy was a heathen. I couldn’t leave him alone at 13... 14. Then he got mad that he was punished for joyriding with older boys when they decided to shoot people with a BB gun. I came down too hard, daddy saved him.
  • PastorVincent
    Options

Not to scare you... but we had child protective services called on us on time because my son at like 6 or 7 was... playing in our front yard, while my wife was just on the other side of the window. *shrugs*

Meanwhile, I grew up under "I don't want to see your face again till the street lights come on" :smiley:

Madness. Not that bad here... yet.

The NZ law states you can leave a child for “a reasonable amount of time”. All very vague. Me, I will leave her to drop the other at school (about 10 minutes total), but with the TV or iPad which pretty much guarantees she won’t move. Her older sister (7) I left alone while I went for a 20 minute run a few weeks back but she’s so good there’s nothing to worry about. She spent the whole time doing homework (the nerd).

Yeah, it all depends on the kid really. Some kids are fine for hours, others you fear to turn your back on to grab something from the counter. :)
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »

Oh sure, until you’re a teenager and it becomes, “where do you think you’re going?” Haha!

5 is young, but I only half suggested it because different areas/cultures may have different rules. And maybe it’s okay in @ContraryMaryMary ‘s world. In our parts I think 10 is the norm, but that isn’t that all 10 yo’s can be left alone. My oldest boy was a heathen. I couldn’t leave him alone at 13... 14. Then he got mad that he was punished for joyriding with older boys when they decided to shoot people with a BB gun. I came down too hard, daddy saved him.

Not where I grew up. I literally rode my bike for miles, taking over an hour each way to a friend's house before I was old enough to drive. At 10 I was babysitting my newly born sister. *shrugs* different times I guess.