June 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Replies

• KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    girlinahat wrote: »
    Tramboman wrote: »
    noblsheep wrote: »
    0614-5k total-23.5k, goal-80k

Not doing very well in keeping up with plan or thread. Is summer over yet?

I don't think it's even started...

Depends on what country you go by. In the USA the first day of summer is June 21, but some other countries use different days:

https://metro.co.uk/2019/05/30/first-day-summer-2019-uk-9738658/

If you're in the UK it is rumoured to start at some point in July or August and last approximately 45 minutes, during which 16 hosepipe bans will be enforced and 784 people will need treatment for heatstroke. Foreigners will be forced to remove a layer.

This is sadly true. You can always tell a Brit abroad as they will be the ones stripping off the minute the sun comes out (and then the ones scarlet from sunburn). They will also be the ones on the beach wrapped in all the clothes when it is bucketing down and blowing a hoolie, because they are on holiday and THAT IS WHAT YOU DO.

We had a hot day in February (I was ill in bed). Since then I've got back out the winter jacket, and haven't needed a t-shirt yet.

Astronomical summer officially starts on 21st June, meteorological summer on 1st June. All I can say is that there's no sign of it yet, and all we have out there is wetness.

I'll trade you, lol. Honestly, I am really not a fan of heat and really the HUMIDITY. Just ugh. I love cool, rainy days, they make me happy. And I only live in NY. As much as I love Walt Disney World I could never live in Florida b/c I would just be miserable for most of the year :D
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    zeesparrow wrote: »
    @kgirlhart - Wow the heat really makes a difference, doesn't it?

Totally. For summer running I have to adjust my pace a couple of MINUTES per mile slower and I find myself constantly reminding other runners to lower their expectations as the temperature climbs.

Also, watch Dew Point, as that climbs during summer heat the more you will hate your run.

You mean it's possible to hate it MORE??????
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    6-1 7.5k slow
    6-2 11k easy
    6-3 rest
    6-4 7k moderate
    6-5 7k easy
    6-6 rest
    6-7 7k slow
    6-8 9k slow
    6-9 7k easy
    6-10 rest
    6-11 7k intervals
    6-12 7k moderate
    6-13 rest
    6-14 7k easy
    6-15 7k moderate
    6-16 9k slow
    6-17 rest
    6-18 7k intervals
    6-19 7k easy

June Total: 106.5k
    June Goal: 150k

January Total: 131k
    February Total: 159.5k
    March Total: 183k
    April Total: 126k
    May Total: 128k

Monthly average: 145.5k

Next year when you pop in here claiming your December 2019 mileage, what accomplishments will you have made?
    Run at least 4 5k races.
    Get under 30:00 and a PR for 5k.
    Average at least 135k per month, which would put me over 1,000 miles for the year.

Run the Year Team: Five for Nineteen

Partly sunny, near 70 degrees F today with little wind. My legs usually tell me how I trained the previous day, and today they said I had a pretty good training day yesterday.

2019 Races:

4-13 Shine the Light 5K - 31:12 chip time; First Place male 65 and older
    6-30 Strides for Starfish 5K
    7-27 Solon Home Days 5K
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    girlinahat wrote: »
    Tramboman wrote: »
    noblsheep wrote: »
    0614-5k total-23.5k, goal-80k

Not doing very well in keeping up with plan or thread. Is summer over yet?

I don't think it's even started...

Depends on what country you go by. In the USA the first day of summer is June 21, but some other countries use different days:

https://metro.co.uk/2019/05/30/first-day-summer-2019-uk-9738658/

If you're in the UK it is rumoured to start at some point in July or August and last approximately 45 minutes, during which 16 hosepipe bans will be enforced and 784 people will need treatment for heatstroke. Foreigners will be forced to remove a layer.

This is sadly true. You can always tell a Brit abroad as they will be the ones stripping off the minute the sun comes out (and then the ones scarlet from sunburn). They will also be the ones on the beach wrapped in all the clothes when it is bucketing down and blowing a hoolie, because they are on holiday and THAT IS WHAT YOU DO.

We had a hot day in February (I was ill in bed). Since then I've got back out the winter jacket, and haven't needed a t-shirt yet.

Astronomical summer officially starts on 21st June, meteorological summer on 1st June. All I can say is that there's no sign of it yet, and all we have out there is wetness.

I'll trade you, lol. Honestly, I am really not a fan of heat and really the HUMIDITY. Just ugh. I love cool, rainy days, they make me happy. And I only live in NY. As much as I love Walt Disney World I could never live in Florida b/c I would just be miserable for most of the year :D

sorry to disappoint, but we do muggy pretty well here too, so if humidity is a problem, that won't help. When it's cold, it's also DAMP cold. The kind of cold that gets into your bones and the only way our is a long hot bath. This makes minus 14 degrees C in Canada cold feels less cold than zero degrees C British cold.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    @MobyCarp The more I hear about those you help train, the more sure I am that I would never have the patience for it!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    hanlonsk wrote: »
    Totally. For summer running I have to adjust my pace a couple of MINUTES per mile slower and I find myself constantly reminding other runners to lower their expectations as the temperature climbs.

Also, watch Dew Point, as that climbs during summer heat the more you will hate your run.

Along these lines... could whoever shared that’s heat index/dew point chart last summer do so again? I have my 2nd week of this summer traveling to terrible places to go in the summer. My first venture to hot Andy humid this month was more of a drinks with the girls trip than a running trip so I didn’t worry about it. But I probably need enough knowledge to decide if I will die while running in Kansas City next week, BEFORE I do it. This square state girl who finally saw 70 degrees today did not think that chart was relevant last year and didn’t pay attention to it.

This article has one and a lengthy discussion about it that I only glanced at:

https://runnersconnect.net/dew-point-effect-running/
    (scroll WAY down)

If you just want a chart, this one works, but it is a bit optimistic, IME, and that would especially be so for you since you have not trained much in these conditions:

8oqv0dmbze2i.png
    (scr: http://througharunninglens.blogspot.com/2012/07/dew-point-and-runners-what-is-it-and.html )