WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2019

Options

Replies

• trucker743
    trucker743 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Renee, i have hada weight loss surgery, and have lost a total so far of 80 lbs. I lost 39 before the surgery with the help of their dietician, going from 262.2 to 233 before my surgery January 2 of this year. Today I am 180.2, with a goal of 130-145, depending on when I feel “done”. I know it will never truly be “done”, since for people like me, even with my new tiny stomach, I’ll always need to be careful. So far I’m establishing healthy eating habits, like eating plenty of protein, and healthy veggies. I go very easy on potatoes and rice. Sweet potatoes are my usual now and very little brown rice. I love quinoa and ancient grains of all sorts. Funny fact. Scientists have now determined that Washingtonians smoke more cannabis than folks in Amsterdam. I know your city is different. What is unique about where you are living?

Sharon Near Seattle
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Machka: I turn 70 next month. I don’t feel old. Why should you? I’m guessing you’re much more fit than the vast majority of people who consider themselves athletes. :flowerforyou:

Lisa: I broke both of my wrists in separate falls on unseen black ice, a few years apart. Both wrists are doing fine, as is my overall bone density. I take alondrate weekly for the bone density. Weight bearing exercise is one of the things that leads to strong bones. That includes walking, dancing, yoga, and many other things. My sister in law and brother in law are quite a bit older than me. He’s past ninety and she is past 80. Both go to the gym regularly to stay strong. :flowerforyou:

Karen: Your grandson is so lucky to have you in his life!!! :heart: I love the CBS Sunday story you shared. :star:

Heading up stairs to hang out with DH unless he irritates me again. :grumble:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,676 Member
    Options
    LisaInAR wrote: »
    Morning, afternoon and evening, all,

Just in my happy place this morning, and the house Internet is working, so happier than yesterday at the same time. :)

Corey didn't want to go out last night for his 50th birthday (he is not fond of ambient noise, hates crowds, and once it gets past 6 p.m., every restaurant is crowded) so we'll go out tonight, but earlier. We were talking last night about aging and what's changed about us. His comment was that the older folks who eat at 4:30 p.m. are the smart ones, as they avoid the noise and the hustle-bustle of the crowds. But then, neither one of us was ever fond of the bar/nightclub/crowded restaurant thing after we got past our early 20s. My exception was a stretch of my 40s, when I lived close to a number of my family members, and we went out to sing a lot. Even then, I was always the designated adult. :)

But it got me thinking... By every standard of our society, when I turn 60 next year, I will officially move into the category of "old." (No offense meant to those who already are 60-plus--it's not a bad thing, it's just a thing.) My husband may be nine years younger physically, but our maturity and thought levels are at the same space 99% of the time, so he's the perfect partner for me. I know this, because my ex-husband was five years older than I was physically, and already speaking longingly of assisted living facilities when he was in his 40s. Not a good fit for me.

I don't have any conclusion to this... just thinking about what "old" means, and how I fit within that span. I'm certainly not young, and OK with that. Just not sure that I know what "old" means for me. And my stated philosophy for years has always been "labels are for pickle jars, not people," so there's that.

Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR

I just turned 60 and around my area and circle of friends 60 is not yet considered “old” around here “70+” is thought of as “old”
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    x1. weigh in
    x2. log all yest
    ✔️3. 30 min exercise
    x4. five minutes meditation
    partly 5. Take care of at least 3 shorter (1 pagish) writing or administrative task/bill, (union work doesn't count) yest
    x6. At least 15 min cleaning
    x7. At least 5 min day filing
    x8. average 1100 calories net

• Overall Feeling : ok
    • Log all yest: yes
    • Exercise : 1 walking
    • 1100 calories net average : NO!!!!! about 850 over!!
    •3 Short term writing/admin per week: 1?
    •cleaning : no
    •filing: no

Grateful :
    1.interesting afternoon
    2. summery weather
    3. able to relax some

4 days in a row going way over!
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    @Machka9 looks beautiful!
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    v3bw3ktdlsxo.png
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,085 Member
    Options
    Karen love Steve Hartman stories. He originally did these stories here in the Twin Cities before moving to the national stage. Always good to see him. His stories seems to always make things better.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,383 Member
    Options
    Did Cathe Friedrich’s Lower Body Pyramid DVD today. The plan for tomorrow is to do some balance games on the Wii

Bananas – I love reading your “updates”.

About this group: I really like that I can vent and get good advice but no one judges you. Also, the hints from other people are fantastic.

Speaking of hints: has anyone used a silicon egg poaching cup? What did you think?

Lisa – Jess likes to go out to dinner late. At this point in our lives, having dinner late means it just sits on our stomachs. It’s really interesting to see how our bodies change as we get older. When I was in my 30’s, I could handle having pizza and wine at 9:00. Not now.

As far as “old” – there’s a lady on our bowling league, she’s 93 (by now maybe 94). She drives herself to bowling twice/week. Admitted, she isn’t fast. But she’s there. Vince feels “old” but I don’t. To think that pretty soon I’ll be going on Medicare. Doesn’t seem possible. I don’t lie about my age, I just don’t announce it.

Gardening – I’m very religious – if God means for it to live, it’ll live.

Lanette – what exercises for your hamstrings did your doc give you? I have such tight hamstrings, even tho I stretch them daily, it isn’t even funny. I didn’t see anything in that article about stretching hamstrings. Maybe I missed it.

JR I’ve asked Jess to buy me these small (about 8oz) cartons of almond milk. They come in a pkg of 4. What I like about them is they’re only something like 30 calories but they don’t require refrigeration so they’re good to take on a car trip. Have you ever tried the Chilly Cow ice cream pops? Yesterday a friend gave me a real good idea. Why not take one of those silicon mats that you use when you make cookies and cut it to the size of a cake pan? I never thought of that. Would certainly save on parchment paper and/or spray oil

Pip – happy anniversary

Welcome everyone new

Katla – you’ve been taking aldronate for quite some time. Have a question for you. I think I may have thrown out one of the pills by accident. Fortunately, I switched from getting the prescription filled at WalMart to Aetna home delivery. WalMart wouldn’t have filled it until the 23rd, so I wouldn’t have had any to take tomorrow. I did have some from Aetna. Here is my question for you: do you know of any way that I can get an extra two pills. Do you know if the MD has samples?

Usually when I go over on calories, it’s not by much. I’m lucky in that regard. Tonight I did find that eating less meat is having less calories

Was in the pool but it started thundering. Wish I’d gone in earlier today when the sun was out.

Lector at the church tonight.

Michele in NC
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    PIP ~ Happy anniversary! :)
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Michele NC - When I buy shelf milk I grab vanilla soy from silk didn’t know about the almond milk one I’ll keep my eye open. We buy from SamsClub so usually grab refrigerator one there in a big box or at Walmart a quick grab lasts us months.
    Still haven’t had chilly cow they only had skinny cow again! We did see 3 chilly cow but they were 350+ calorie ones! I know that chilly cow has less calorie ones I checked their website! At Sams Club grabbed 18 for $9 Healthy Choice fudge pops 100calories each their huge. Walmart $3.40 skinny cow 100calories sandwich,with coupons got Halo 😇 top 2 flavors 50&60cal their small bars plus Mexican Paletas 40 cal y fudge ones 40cal sugarfree popsicle brand.Our grocery stores here get hit hard by tourists,military personnel,families from neighboring towns etc so we couldn’t find the popchips we wanted to try either. I got myself a soup treat but they only had the on the go containers sold out of the can! So bought only 1. Sometimes I buy grocery online have it shipped to the house since it’s there but not in store for JR he’s a picky eater.
    We found 0 cal Pam cooking spray so using it but other times nothing. Margarine a tab if needed for a recipe. I’ve never figured out those silicon stuff Daughter told me about it but I couldn’t figure it out she bought me a silicone candy mold.
    Amber Tx
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Michele: I have no idea whether you can get alondrate directly from your doctor. It wouldn’t hurt to ask & they may have a sample. The RX is very inexpensive. There are two versions, one is daily and the other is weekly. I prefer the weekly version because I only have to wait half an hour after taking the pill & water before coffee or breakfast once a week rather than every day. :star:

Kate UK: You look fabulous, & you both look happy. :bigsmile:

The weather is a bit cool today and I’m having a challenge staying warm enough.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • pipcd34
    Options
    as far as my age goes. someone asks, I tell, ain't no thang to me
  • pipcd34
    Options
    4kwreflzyax2.jpeg
    With a baby floydy
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,408 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Kate - that photo of you and your husband is just adorable! Two cuties. I don't think I've ever seen a photo of you with such a big smile like that. <3

Pip - Wishing a Happy Anniversary to you and Kirby and many, many more. Learning about your strength and resilience with all you've been through in your life has been such an inspiration. Some guardian angel had been looking out for you and I think he materialized as Kirby, don't you think? You two remind me of newlyweds, lol. <3 Maybe you two are the reason "get a room" was coined, lol.

Michele - here's the "Hamstring Rehabilitation" from that website. Some of these are what I'm using: https://www.thephysicaltherapyadvisor.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Hamstring-Rehabilitation-Exercises.pdf So nice to do squats again without getting a big old pain searing through my.... sit bones, lol. >:) That piriformis stretch helps a lot... who would have thought? I need to put some air in my exercise ball and work it in as well.

You'll find these on the "Resource Guide" page about halfway down. They have some for Morton's neuroma too... I don't have that but the podiatrist said my foot is close to it, so why not try to head any more damage off at the pass?

Lanette
    SW WA State
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    Heather, Thanks for the info on the instant pot, I want to shop around and see which size works best for us. Absorb all the info out there on them. It should make dinner making less hectic. .👍
    💖Rebecca