Unexpected downsides of losing weight

Replies

• RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    JennJ323 wrote: »
    The only downside I've found so far is not being able to fit into a lot of my old clothes. I hate having to spend the money to buy new stuff, I also hate that cute things I have can't be worn anymore. I bought a dress on a good sale in February, it's far too big on me now and either I have to pay for alterations or get rid of it.

I've definitely been hitting up goodwill daily to save some money. I also check out final-call sales at places like Macy's and JCPenney. They've got some good deals, although I suppose it would depend on your style.
  • RelCanonical
    Terytha wrote: »
    My bras don't fit anymore. My back pain is starting to become crippling. But I can't afford replacements. The only place that carries my size is both pricey and overseas.

And honestly I'm probably worse to fit now. My band size is down but not my cup size, and it's hard to find a smaller band with a big enough cup. :(

I might try to switch to cheap sports bras for a while. They aren't flattering but tend to be easier to find.

Figures my weight came off my ribs first.

I did the sports bra thing for a bit. Definitely helped with the comfort, but not as flattering under clothes. It didn't bother me too much so I stuck with them until I found a really good sale.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,343 Member
    @Terytha check out uniqlo.com. Their basic bra is inexpensive, and low maintenance. I wash and dry them in dryer with no problem. They are pullover style so don’t have hooks, but they look like dressier bras. I’ve worked out in them and even run in them a couple of times and was surprised at the support.

The reviews in the site aren’t good, but that’s because buyers (including me) were mad they changed the design earlier this year. Still, like them better than any other bra I’ve ever worn.

The only thing I don’t care for is that they are cut higher in the front so they show if you are wearing a V neck. On the plus side though, the straps seem to fit reasonably well under my tanks and sleeveless shirts. No peekaboo straps, which makes me mental.

Incredibly comfy bra.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    thanos5 wrote: »
    i dunno how you skinny people can sleep on your sides. my knees kill me now if i do, the bones keep rubbing together.

I use a pillow between my knees, a holdover from pregnancy sleep habits.
  • RelCanonical
    pinuplove wrote: »
    smantha32 wrote: »
    I've lost all the fat on my butt. My tailbone hurts whenever I sit.

Mine still hurts, after a few months at maintenance. My husband laughed at me, but after a 3-hr Uno game spent sitting on our hard dining suite chairs (all right for the duration of a meal, but not Uno, apparently) I bought a seat cushion.

Added bonus, it makes me taller :lol:

3 hour UNO? Holy cow. (BTW, there is going to be a BTS-themed UNO game coming out. KPOP UNO.)

My elbows are the annoying bony holdouts. I just can't get used to chair arms anymore.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    pinuplove wrote: »
    I've lost all the fat on my butt. My tailbone hurts whenever I sit.

Mine still hurts, after a few months at maintenance. My husband laughed at me, but after a 3-hr Uno game spent sitting on our hard dining suite chairs (all right for the duration of a meal, but not Uno, apparently) I bought a seat cushion.

Added bonus, it makes me taller :lol:

3 hour UNO? Holy cow. (BTW, there is going to be a BTS-themed UNO game coming out. KPOP UNO.)

My elbows are the annoying bony holdouts. I just can't get used to chair arms anymore.

We were playing by some vicious rules. Stacking Draw 2s and Draw 4 Wilds makes for a lot of reshuffling the deck :lol:

I have bony elbows too. It's the bony shoulders I really can't get used to!
  • rickdkitson
    rickdkitson Posts: 86 Member
    I'm a corrections officer and my duty belt rides right on my hips and digs into my hip bones. I'm constantly trying to hike it up or else it hurts.

I'm a construction engineer and lots of trades guys also have heavy belts. They usually get straps for them that go across the shoulders and take the weight off the hips and place it in the shoulders where it really belongs. Think a Sam Browne type of belt.

If that can go with your uniform then it would be good, if not then perhaps put it forward as an idea for a health and safety issue. (A well supported belt would be harder for an inmate to remove and would keep your items in place where they can be easily deployed without having to search for them in a situation but on the other hand the shoulder straps would be a means for an inmate to grab you and control you.)
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    I can relate to the thing about people trying to shove food and desserts at me. Same since I quit alcohol. Also quit smoking a couple weeks ago and have people pushing nicotine replacements on me even though im already completely nicotine free. Some people are just really dumb and that will never change because it's a whole 50% of the population.
    But about the food thing, I used to get seconds and thirds at family meals, and now they tend to take offense if I stick to just one portion and say no to dessert, as if their cooking isn't good enough for me anymore just because I'm not an absolute pig about it these days.

I have never had friends or family pushing food on me. Ironically my family will sometimes randomly ask what foods can I eat or not eat, which I find funny because they know I just eat regular food.
  • OhMsDiva
    debraah66 wrote: »
    Not that I'm trying to put a negative spin on it or anything, but I'm thinking "forewarned is forearmed." Better to expect these things and be mentally prepared when they happen. I'm seeing a few. Be it known, however, that the benefits are far greater and make it worthwhile.

So, the unexpected downsides:
    1.) You may feel cold a lot, even when nobody else is. I never did like wearing heavy fabrics and layers. But I have to. It's late May, I'm in long sleeves and jeans with socks on, and I'm chilly. I feel more like it's late November.
    2.) That infamous Shar Pei sag. Your body shrinks, but your skin doesn't. Your stomach hangs down in front of you like an apron, and you develop "bat wings." If I wave hello or goodbye to somebody, my upper arm flaps will keep waving five minutes after I stop. I even have mini bat wings on my *lower* arms.
    3.) People will, not may but will, "concern troll" you. Some with good intentions, and some with malice because they're threatened by your success, will try to coax you to "live a little" or "not be such a fanatic." You're not even out of the "obese" category yet, and they warn you not to "get too skinny." They act like they're afraid you're going to develop anorexia if you keep losing weight. You will have people shoving desserts at you, having difficulty taking "no" for an answer. I, for one, find I'm not experiencing nearly as much of this as I used to. I don't know why, for sure, but I'm thinking it's because I finally got mad enough that I made it clear I won't be putting up with that anymore. So, for the most part, it stopped.

And probably the one that bugs me the most:

4.) When you've made a lot of progress, but you've still got a way to go, this will start happening. Someone who didn't know you when you were heavier will see you making healthy choices, eating vegetables, passing up that dessert, and exercising. They don't know about the weight you've lost already. They only see the weight you still need to lose. So they assume you're just beginning, and here comes the unsolicited and completely unnecessary advice. They'll inform you that you need to "start" doing things you've been doing for a good year now. Or they'll tell you you're doing it wrong, and you should be doing something else instead. Try to tell them how long you've been at it, and how many pounds you've lost, and it doesn't register. They don't even care what your doctor or your dietician says. They'll straight up argue with your results.

Does anyone have any others? What should I prepare myself for?

Personally, I think the good will outway the bad. I can deal with wings if I can fit into a booth and walk about with being out of breath. I'm also working on toning so hoping that will help.

Related to number 4. I had a coworker who really did not know me indirectly ask me why I was the size I was and she sees me eating so healthy. I showed a picture of when I was 200 lbs heavier. She was taken aback
  • OhMsDiva
    I'm practically gaunt in the face and upper body, but still fat in the lower body. People tell me you even out after a couple years but ugh ugh ugh.
    I can also see why people comment and think you've lost too much weight when parts of you are all bones.

I think this kinda happened to me, but I was so big that of course my face got smaller. You can see my collar bone and I can feel my ribs now but the bottom part is a different story.
  • adotbaby
    adotbaby Posts: 199 Member
    I have had great luck at thrift stores and consignment shops, and Goodwill, as long as I focus on high-end brands and classic styles.
  • aprildawn81
    aprildawn81 Posts: 668 Member
    I apologize in advance if this has been discussed further than the op adding it to her list of frustrations but, as far as loose skin, is there anything that can be done while losing weight to prevent that from happening? I have only lost 15 lbs so far (without exercise, but that's about to start), but I still have another 55 to go to be where I want to be. I JUST had a discussion about this with my husband a few days ago. Has anyone successfully accomplished this, without surgery? Thanks!