Unexpected downsides of losing weight

Options

Replies

• RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    I apologize in advance if this has been discussed further than the op adding it to her list of frustrations but, as far as loose skin, is there anything that can be done while losing weight to prevent that from happening? I have only lost 15 lbs so far (without exercise, but that's about to start), but I still have another 55 to go to be where I want to be. I JUST had a discussion about this with my husband a few days ago. Has anyone successfully accomplished this, without surgery? Thanks!

Don't worry, it is a common concern worth repeating. Loose skin occurrence is based on many factors, some of which are out of your control. The slower you go, the less likely you are to have loose skin. Keeping the skin moisturizer and healthy can help improve the appearance of loose skin. Two big factors out of our control are age and genetics (skin type and also where you carry your fat). The older you are, the more likely you are to have loose skin due to less elasticity in the skin. The more weight you carry in one area, the more likely you are to have loose skin in that area (e.g. Apple-shaped people are more likely to have loose skin in the stomach compared to those who are pear or straight up and down). The more overall weight you have to lose, the more likely you are to have loose skin. Generally, the people who have obvious loose skin from weight loss have lost over 100 pounds, although that doesn't mean those who have less to lose won't suffer loose skin.

Most important to note, it is all likeliness (no guarantees of good or bad results) and very individual. You may fare better or worse than others of similar shapes, so focus on the things you can control, like losing slowly and keeping your skin healthy.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    aes1219 wrote: »
    smantha32 wrote: »
    I've lost all the fat on my butt. My tailbone hurts whenever I sit.

I had this experience and it was horrible for a couple weeks. My weight loss has slowed down now and while my tailbone hurts from time to time it is so much better than before. I hope yours gets better also!

This has been going on for months now. Does anyone know if there are any weight lifting exercises that are good for increasing the muscle down there? I figure squats probably but that can't be it. I can literally feel my tailbone and pelvis.
  • smantha32
    Options
    I apologize in advance if this has been discussed further than the op adding it to her list of frustrations but, as far as loose skin, is there anything that can be done while losing weight to prevent that from happening? I have only lost 15 lbs so far (without exercise, but that's about to start), but I still have another 55 to go to be where I want to be. I JUST had a discussion about this with my husband a few days ago. Has anyone successfully accomplished this, without surgery? Thanks!

Generally, the people who have obvious loose skin from weight loss have lost over 100 pounds, although that doesn't mean those who have less to lose won't suffer loose skin.

I got loose skin after 30 pounds. When I was younger it always snapped back. Now it isn't. I'm told keeping the weight off for a few years will improve it, but obviously I'm not going to have the same results I did 20 years ago.

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    bjkoziara wrote: »
    One downside I've noticed is that recently I got sick and had a stomach bug and people seem to only be able to say "Oh, at least you're losing weight!" No one would say that to a thin person. Makes me feel like I'm nothing but a weight to people.

That sucks. People can be so cruel.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I still find my face odd. I noticed the only pictures I have of myself since losing weight are gym selfies, I feel really comfortable there. I need a headshot for work and I'm somehow uncomfortable with it.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    the hurts to sit thing is a huge. seriously, i even still have a "booty" but man it hurts to sit.

I don't think it's all related to weight loss but the last year i've been struggling with lots of aches and pain in various parts of my body. In fact i've rarely been this inactive (other than walking) due to physical issues. I've been to a number of doctors, chiros, sport doctor, physios. xrays. and still bleh. Knees, hips, legs in general. and recently lower back and major coccyx pain.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Those of you complaining about your rears... I was massive fat and my padding back there NEVER increased. Sometimes it felt like I was sitting with all my weight directly on my coccyx.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    NOTHING FITS, AND I CAN'T BUY CLOTHES UNTIL I REACH GOAL WEIGHT.

I have lost 50 pounds, and i have 20ish to go. None of my clothes fit anymore. It sounds like a humble brag, but it's legitimately an issue. I wear suits to work, and the pant's all look like tents so I have to wear more casual pants along with the rest of the get up.

And there's no point in buying anything yet, as the way the weight loss has gone has left a great deal of it on my belly and chest. Everything I lose moving forward is making a pretty dramatic difference to my size, so I feel like I'll be like 4-5 inches smaller at the chest and tummy by goal. Sigh.

Well you have to have clothes. It takes a long time to lose that much weight. I went through several "Goodwill wardrobes" while losing 150. And buy things with stretch and a flexible fit so they last awhile.

Wrap dresses seem to last longer than other clothing. I am wearing a lot of dresses now since I can wear them through more weight loss than I can a pair of pants. I don't know how you have made it that far without having to get anything yet. I only have lost 30 and my clothes were quite honestly falling off already.
  • bjkoziara
    bjkoziara Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Panini911 wrote: »
    the hurts to sit thing is a huge. seriously, i even still have a "booty" but man it hurts to sit.

I don't think it's all related to weight loss but the last year i've been struggling with lots of aches and pain in various parts of my body. In fact i've rarely been this inactive (other than walking) due to physical issues. I've been to a number of doctors, chiros, sport doctor, physios. xrays. and still bleh. Knees, hips, legs in general. and recently lower back and major coccyx pain.

I recently had a doctor tell me that my aches and lains actually can very well be due to loss because of weight distribution. Don't know if there's truth to that, but you might be correct!
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options

I recently had a doctor tell me that my aches and lains actually can very well be due to loss because of weight distribution. Don't know if there's truth to that, but you might be correct!

i read some on that too. but physio/chiro were not convinced. i really hope things start improving because it's been nearly a year since I can do much real exercise :( while not major pain or anything it's annoying to have done all this work to be at my smallest EVER (always been obese even as a child) and yet my body is at it's worse physically.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    Those of you complaining about your rears... I was massive fat and my padding back there NEVER increased. Sometimes it felt like I was sitting with all my weight directly on my coccyx.

No junk in your trunk, eh? Same here now, rather unfortunately :tongue:
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,178 Member
    Options

My osteopath (whom I see for recurrent back issues) said the same thing. Extra evidence (in my mind): It's not unusual for women who have a single mastectomy without reconstruction, but who have a larger remaining breast, to have back problems as a consequence.
  • hixa30
    hixa30 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I hear you with this one. I am an Australian size 6 which is an American 0. Finding clothes that fit is so hard as many clothing shops don't go lower than an 8. I often have to resort to teen shops or children's departments. Not ideal when you are over 40!

I asked online about buying t and polo shirts for men and the general consensus was "go to Asia"! I always measure the distance from side to side, even extra small can be too big.

I went to the children's section of Kmart yesterday. There seems to be a gap between biggest children's size and smallest adult.
  • smantha32
    Options
    hixa30 wrote: »
    I hear you with this one. I am an Australian size 6 which is an American 0. Finding clothes that fit is so hard as many clothing shops don't go lower than an 8. I often have to resort to teen shops or children's departments. Not ideal when you are over 40!

I asked online about buying t and polo shirts for men and the general consensus was "go to Asia"! I always measure the distance from side to side, even extra small can be too big.

I went to the children's section of Kmart yesterday. There seems to be a gap between biggest children's size and smallest adult.

There are a lot of stores that sell clothes that run small. Hot topic is one. But they're not exactly business professional clothes.
    Online clothing stores based out of Asia do have clothes that run small, but you have to be careful as a lot of times they're not well made.

your best bet might be learning to sew.
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options

i read some on that too. but physio/chiro were not convinced. i really hope things start improving because it's been nearly a year since I can do much real exercise :( while not major pain or anything it's annoying to have done all this work to be at my smallest EVER (always been obese even as a child) and yet my body is at it's worse physically.

That’s so weird to me, that weight loss could cause pain. Weight loss relieves my back and neck pain and my headaches - which are probably from my back and neck strain. I carry my weight up top, so when I lose, it relieves the compression of my spine. I hope things start to clear up for you soon. It’s got to be so frustrating.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    Momjogger wrote: »
    Lack of butt padding is a real issue! Trying to roll in yoga is painful! When I was down to my goal weight last time, my biggest issue was unwanted attention from men. At the drug store, grocery store, while riding my bike! I think that’s one of the reason I started gaining it back. I was really uncomfortable with the unwanted, at times almost threatening attention. I was taking a walk along the waterfront and a man followed me for about 1/2 a mile to a stop light and tried striking up a conversation, asking for my number. You start to feel confident, you buy nicer clothes, you walk with good posture and BOOM, suddenly you feel like a gazelle in a wild kingdom episode being chased by hyenas. My younger, single self probably would have been thrilled, but my middle aged, happily married self doesn’t like it.

I HATE when they do the "roll on your back front to back front to back", can't do it, too painful. Same with boat post without a cushion, lol.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options
    Momjogger wrote: »
    Lack of butt padding is a real issue! Trying to roll in yoga is painful! When I was down to my goal weight last time, my biggest issue was unwanted attention from men. At the drug store, grocery store, while riding my bike! I think that’s one of the reason I started gaining it back. I was really uncomfortable with the unwanted, at times almost threatening attention. I was taking a walk along the waterfront and a man followed me for about 1/2 a mile to a stop light and tried striking up a conversation, asking for my number. You start to feel confident, you buy nicer clothes, you walk with good posture and BOOM, suddenly you feel like a gazelle in a wild kingdom episode being chased by hyenas. My younger, single self probably would have been thrilled, but my middle aged, happily married self doesn’t like it.

I HATE when they do the "roll on your back front to back front to back", can't do it, too painful. Same with boat post without a cushion, lol.

I'd end up with bruising. That and v-sits or any tailbone balancing. If my mat isn't thick enough I bruise on my backside. :disappointed: