Ashtanga Sun Salutation - 5 Rounds
    Core Strength
    Compression Drills- 3 x 10 (30)
    Back Bridge 3 x 30s (90s)
    Pancake Stretch 3 x 30s (90s)
    Meditate
  • jnomadica
    jnomadica Posts: 280 Member
    An hour long hike with my son. Short, but quite steep, so it felt like a good workout, and was beautiful and fun.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,958 Member
    edited August 2019
    @pierinifitness gonna try this. Daily sub-maximal work (Grease the Groove) with a once a week high intensity session a la https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/al-kavadlo-20-pull-up-challenge.html

No failure, only feedback...
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    edited August 2019
    A little more than 8k in my men's 4 race line up. Our starts felt really good and we did two 450m simulated pieces. The big thing is going to be making sure we actually settle. I, however, am not sitting stroke so there's only so much I can do. I might have a short chat with our stroke because part of the issue in this boat is that a faster stoke rate is making us slower. Actually what I'll do is just talk to our coach before the race and then he can have that conversation.
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Yesterday was leg day with abs and stretching. I have nvited my niece - showed her all the leg machines. Today was an hour bike ride. I bought myself a kayak, but I need a roof rack, so I probably won’t add that to my workouts until the end of next week. I’m so excited to use it in the ponds around my house this fall!
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    J72FIT wrote: »
    @pierinifitness gonna try this. Daily sub-maximal work (Grease the Groove) with a once a week high intensity session a la https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/al-kavadlo-20-pull-up-challenge.html

That program aligns with what I've recently done. One of my "by summer goals" was to complete 100 pull-ups in 20 minutes, any which way I can. After playing around with different rep counts, I settled in on 3-3-2-2-1-1 like I previously mentioned to you. One minor variation is that I alternated rounds between pull-ups and chin-ups to get some bicep work in. Using that cadence, I got to 100 reps in 20:03 as my best time, missing my goal by 3 seconds.

So I decided to add that goal to my "by fall goals" except that I set additional detail of 5 rep minimum rounds. In other words, I need to complete 20 rounds of 5 reps in 20 minutes or less to get my goal. The way I'm approaching it is 5 rep rounds every 2 minutes for starters and after successfully getting all rounds of 5 reps in, start reducing the time interval by 5 seconds a workout. I got 20 rounds in a couple weeks ago every 2:00 but then took a time out because I was concentrating on a fun run just completed. My next workout will again repeat the 2:00 time interval and then I'll start working my time interval down to an eventual goal of 1:00 per round and that'll give me my 100 reps in 20 minutes. It's a long haul but will work based on my past experiences taking a similar approach with other time-based workouts.

I think 5 days a week is overkill and if I read this new workout right, it's not a 5-day a week thing. There's something about being fresh that helps with volume performance.

Anyway, I'm privately cheering for you and will be following your updated journey.

• dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    2 mile run
    barbell squats 125 lb
    lateral raises
    crunches
    hamstring curls 160 lbs
    hip adduction 130 lbs
    hip abduction 130 lbs
    Quadriceps 100 lbs
    Calf machine 90- 100 lbs
  • snits21
    snits21 Posts: 7 Member
    Today is a 5 mile run followed by abs.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Thirty minute elliptical and then a shoulder workout. Tonight I am doing some outdoor construction so plenty of free exercise
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 972 Member
    edited August 2019
    90 minutes bouldering. I think it was an OK session - they had reset all the routes, so I had no reference points.

I dropped my mobile en route home, and the screen smashed. That is a little annoying.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited August 2019
    Guess it's progress because I almost forgot today was a hard interval day. IMO, when you're not overthinking training and worrying in advance about hard days, that's a good thing.

Today was 8' X 4 reps on the rower with 3 minute breaks. HR was dropping really nice after each one (just what you want to see). Struggled to hold pace on the last two and pace fell off, but HR/work increased, so that's fine. Just pushed a bit too hard early.

I try not to overanalyze these workouts but I looked at my ErgData Log just now.

Here was the same workout on 7/11 - 2:07.3 Avg Pace / 25 SPM / 175 HR
    8/1 - 2:05.5 Avg Pace / 24 SPM / 169 HR

So that's a really nice improvement over 3 or so weeks.

@ Ann - appreciate the compliment. Yes, sometimes training is about what you don't do not just what you do. I've made so many mistakes in my training that I finally learned the hard way that going at it every day hard isn't sustainable, just like Pierre mentioned above. On a six day week, at my age, I find two days hard is sustainable and the rest aerobic work. Also, sorry about your incident with the deer. I'm sure that must have been very hard for you!

djd54fbv8ecd.jpg
    s7be8o78bbcz.png
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Thursday

30.min session with my trainer and her bosu ball working full body but especially targeting those little stabilising muscles

5/3/1 cycle 3 week 2 deadlifts plus
    5x10@55kg sumo deadlifts
    3x10@40kg standing calf raise
    3x10 single leg push down
    3x10@16kg straight leg kb deadlifts
    Pushed the tank loaded with 40kg
    Then attempted box jumps, these have always beaten me, but today I finally managed them.

30min treadmill workout, ramped the incline up and then did sprint intervals.

45 min circuit class

2 mile walk home along the river.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,958 Member
    J72FIT wrote: »

That program aligns with what I've recently done. One of my "by summer goals" was to complete 100 pull-ups in 20 minutes, any which way I can. After playing around with different rep counts, I settled in on 3-3-2-2-1-1 like I previously mentioned to you. One minor variation is that I alternated rounds between pull-ups and chin-ups to get some bicep work in. Using that cadence, I got to 100 reps in 20:03 as my best time, missing my goal by 3 seconds.

So I decided to add that goal to my "by fall goals" except that I set additional detail of 5 rep minimum rounds. In other words, I need to complete 20 rounds of 5 reps in 20 minutes or less to get my goal. The way I'm approaching it is 5 rep rounds every 2 minutes for starters and after successfully getting all rounds of 5 reps in, start reducing the time interval by 5 seconds a workout. I got 20 rounds in a couple weeks ago every 2:00 but then took a time out because I was concentrating on a fun run just completed. My next workout will again repeat the 2:00 time interval and then I'll start working my time interval down to an eventual goal of 1:00 per round and that'll give me my 100 reps in 20 minutes. It's a long haul but will work based on my past experiences taking a similar approach with other time-based workouts.

I think 5 days a week is overkill and if I read this new workout right, it's not a 5-day a week thing. There's something about being fresh that helps with volume performance.

Anyway, I'm privately cheering for you and will be following your updated journey.

No no this would be once a week. The other 4 days are the sub-max grease the groove workouts...
  • aokoye
    Addendum: ~8k steps because of some public transportation disruptions caused by a car accident on a bridge blocking at least one lane of traffic (apparently a car drove into a drainage channel? or something). Somehow I was only 6 min late to my therapy appointment.
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    8/1/2019 - a complete rest day during this week of rest and recovery. A little ants in my pants but not enough to make me want to do anything other than enjoy the week.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,724 Member
    Back at spin class (via rental car ;) ), during which I accidentally tapped "row" on my Garmin instead of "Bike Indoor", and didn't realize it for a few minutes, because I was using my HR on the bike's monitor.

Apparently, my indoor biking stroke rating averages 1spm, but goes as high as 33spm, and averages 7m per stroke. My moving splits are pretty fab, at 1:37/500m, but if you count all the (?!?!?) non-moving time, the average is a lamentable 19:47/500m. And it produced this totally fabulous map of my "row" (presumably without benefit of GPS, since I was indoors):

pq5tm077sdf7.png

:lol::lol::lol:
  • aokoye
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Back at spin class (via rental car ;) ), during which I accidentally tapped "row" on my Garmin instead of "Bike Indoor", and didn't realize it for a few minutes, because I was using my HR on the bike's monitor.

Apparently, my indoor biking stroke rating averages 1spm, but goes as high as 33spm, and averages 7m per stroke. My moving splits are pretty fab, at 1:37/500m, but if you count all the (?!?!?) non-moving time, the average is a lamentable 19:47/500m. And it produced this totally fabulous map of my "row" (presumably without benefit of GPS, since I was indoors):

pq5tm077sdf7.png

:lol::lol::lol:

That split! ;)

It's funny because I do the exact opposite on a very regular basis. I set my Garmin to record rowing and accidently have it set to "bike indoor". In my case it's almost always an issue of going through the motions without looking at my watch because I'm typically like, "oh crap I was going to do that but I have a shell on my shoulder now!"
  • bucklidl
    bucklidl Posts: 7 Member
    edited August 2019
    Was only 96* in the garage today but the humidity was killer. Could of definitely pusehed some more weight if I would have had a snack a little closer to my workout time. a67jig6dm768.jpg
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Today I rode my indoor bike for an hour and played Minecraft and then went for a swim. In the morning I'm going to run a trail and aiming for a 5 mile loop.
  • Cutemesoon
    Cutemesoon Posts: 2,646 Member
    edited August 2019