The Sober Squad- Alcohol Free Living

Options

Replies

• lorrainequiche59
    lorrainequiche59 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Good Morn: I have 2 goals to switch up my mindset. The first is to get out of bed each morning & walk for 30 mins without my dog. Todays goal #1 accomplished @ 6:30 a.m. YAY!!

Most people find a dog to be a motivator to walk...mine, not so much...We start our walk out with 10 mins of sniffing and then I try to kick it into high gear as I firmly tug on his leash when he wants to sniff yet some more...because he is a sniffer & not really built for walking any length of time or at any productive pace, when I try to walk with him his little legs scamper to keep up (He's a Lhasa Apso) as his body sways like a bulldog from the Pekingese gene he carries, but at some point along the way, he does a dead stop and gives me the evil stare. AND, of course, my Enabling gene kicks in & ramps up my Guilt gene and we head back home...I figure it defeats my purpose of walking which is to get a wee bit of movement without stress...guilt for me = stress!! SO, he lounged in bed while I had a lovely walk in nature. We'll do a sniff walk for him this eve.

#2 goal is to do 15 mins of mindfulness meditation each morning...yesterday I reached that wee goal AND today I will as soon as I post this....

I logged my food today and hope to carry that on, BUT I am taking baby steps and 2 goals are IT!! for a bit!!

Happy AF day to all ... LOVE LOVE LOVE all of the posts!! <3

• lorrainequiche59
    lorrainequiche59 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    TIME TO GET ANGRY

It's about time you got angry - YES, that angry.
    Anger can be such a potent, frightening emotion. It can also be a feeling that guides us to important decisions, sometimes decisions difficult to make. It can signal other's peoples problems, our problems, or simply problems we need to address.
    We deny our anger for a variety of reasons. We don't give ourselves permission to allow it to come into our awareness - at first. Understand that it does not go away; it sits in layers under the surface, waiting for us to become ready, safe, and strong enough to deal with it.
    What we may tend to do instead of facing our anger and what it is telling us about self care is feel hurt, victimized, trapped, guilt and uncertain about how to take care of ourselves. We many withdraw, deny, make excuses and hide our heads in the sand - for awhile.
    We may punish, get even, whine and wonder.
    We may repeatedly forgive the other person for behaviors that hurt us. We may be afraid that someone will go away if we deal with our anger toward him/her. We may be afraid we will need to go away if we deal with our anger.
    We may simply be afraid of our anger and the potency of it. We may not know we have a right, even a responsibility - to ourselves - to allow ourselves to feel and learn from our anger. <3

Melodie Beattie from The Language of Letting Go

• RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    TIME TO GET ANGRY

Anger can be such a potent, frightening emotion. It can also be a feeling that guides us to important decisions, sometimes decisions difficult to make. It can signal other's peoples problems, our problems, or simply problems we need to address.
    We deny our anger for a variety of reasons. We don't give ourselves permission to allow it to come into our awareness - at first. Understand that it does not go away; it sits in layers under the surface, waiting for us to become ready, safe, and strong enough to deal with it.
    What we may tend to do instead of facing our anger and what it is telling us about self care is feel hurt, victimized, trapped, guilt and uncertain about how to take care of ourselves. We many withdraw, deny, make excuses and hide our heads in the sand - for awhile.
    We may repeatedly forgive the other person for behaviors that hurt us. We may be afraid that someone will go away if we deal with our anger toward him/her. We may be afraid we will need to go away if we deal with our anger.
    We may simply be afraid of our anger and the potency of it. We may not know we have a right, even a responsibility - to ourselves - to allow ourselves to feel and learn from our anger. <3

I like this. Yes hiding anger only makes it reveal itself in other areas or ways I think. Until you explode and that isn't always pretty! Im not usually an angry person but when I am I do struggle with how to cope with it or express it in a constructive way. I tend to go inwards with it and cause myself hurt. Trying to get better and this post is useful reading for me.

I think I'm too sensitive ; I think that is my issue to deal with. I also suppress my feelings and go into hibernation instead of facing a problem or conflict with someone. I am going to get that book you guys are talking about.
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    TIME TO GET ANGRY

I think I'm afraid of my anger and it churns in my brain and causes me to feel depressed and paralyzed.
  • SunnyDays930
    SunnyDays930 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    @IWillTakeBackMyLife My dr has suggested THC oil for anxiety so I don't think that is a problem. Not sure about the vaping it, she suggested putting it on your tongue. As long as you don't feel like it is damaging your lungs I don't see an issue with it. Im happy you are remaining Alcohol Free. I wish you continued success with that.
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    Good morning friends!
    @FeelinFooFoo I have that too. The anxiety the day after, a knot in my stomach as I lay in bed replaying the events. Like a broken record, the obsessive thoughts come when you're recovering from a hangover. All my friends claim they don't have hangovers like I do. I guess we're the lucky ones. At least the hangover is our body saying alcohol is a wicked thing.

@IWillTakeBackMyLife Sorry you went through all that but at least it got you to the point you are right now. Sounds like you are doing well!

Off topic: Chardonnay particularly can be problematic for those who are allergic to some of the ingredients. If you've ever felt out of control after a lot of chardonnay here may be why:
    https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/78da3x/ladies-that-chardonnay-might-be-why-youre-an-emotional-wreck