WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2019

Options

Replies

• bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    computer acting up again: keeps opening a link in a side bar when I click on a link as simple as opening up a friend's facebook page or switching pages here in this mfp community conversation. it goes on and off doing that and other stuff.

haven't been tracking last days and have surely eaten more (good whole grain) bread than is best.
    had a nice bite out yesterday though, a tiny glass of red port wine (reminds me of my few days away this summer) and a Vietnamese soup. I skipped most of the noodles in the big soup so was glad about that.

@DonnaL1959 welcome!

@Machka9 that is pretty restrictive. for me I am GF plus mostly avoid dairy, though a little cheese (since it's fermented) when it's not allergy season seems to pass ok on occasion, as well as butter, which I only buy on occasion due to calories. I've definitely heard some people do better w hard cheeses than soft. what about MRI or scan to see for polyps. is that done especially w your mom's background? agreed on not eating what we don't like! personally there are so many things I like it's not usually a big problem except maybe when I find myself at a very mediocre cantine, and need to get some sustenance, but that's rare. a glass of wine totally cuts my appetite, but it's not very nutritious, so at present I have a glass of wine out w friends maybe 1x a week average or so. I'm not sure if It doesn't make me feel tired the next day.

@exermom I used to be like that with fruit a 2 or 3 decades ago and then somehow I was no longer that way and was reasonable, and now I seem to be a fruit monster again. these past 2-3 years my food temperance has gone out the window. it used to be way worse in my 20s and early 30s, but it's a disappointment to have issues where they felt more or less relatively resolved for years. I guess it's partly stress but I don't know if it's only that. definitely seemed to coincide w menopause but also I've had really stressful base in my work situation for about 4 years, plus the stress of thesis for 5. how do you manage w fruit? since we are supposed to eat some, but not masses daily. interested in tips...

Bathingsuits
    i'm not sure where the bathing suit question came up. I used to swim an hour a day every day. maybe they have improved. I used to buy good quality brands like speedo or arena always in black or dark blue (lighter colours would become see-through more quickly. (long time ago, prices must have been 20 dollars or so at least in the 80s) rinse immediately after every swim. they would last 2 months max before becoming too threadbare and see-through.
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    feeling a bit off kilter today
  • bananasandoranges
    edited September 2019
    Options
    grateful
    café
    café cat
    decent night's sleep

accomplishments in last 24 hours

got a file cabinet ordered online
    paid a ticket online
    2h x 2 people on paperwork, filing
    1 load laundry done
    admin appointment
    drawing
    pleasant drink and dinner w friend
    planned time w friend on Saturday evening
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,932 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    @Machka9 that is pretty restrictive. for me I am GF plus mostly avoid dairy, though a little cheese (since it's fermented) when it's not allergy season seems to pass ok on occasion, as well as butter, which I only buy on occasion due to calories. I've definitely heard some people do better w hard cheeses than soft. what about MRI or scan to see for polyps. is that done especially w your mom's background? agreed on not eating what we don't like! personally there are so many things I like it's not usually a big problem except maybe when I find myself at a very mediocre cantine, and need to get some sustenance, but that's rare. a glass of wine totally cuts my appetite, but it's not very nutritious, so at present I have a glass of wine out w friends maybe 1x a week average or so. I'm not sure if It doesn't make me feel tired the next day.

I eat a lot of fruit, veggies, and grains. :)

This is my usual work day ... quick & convenient ...

11:45 am snack - crackers & cheese or a banana - 100 cals

q99u9dgskq33.png

2:00 pm lunch - rice, chicken, veg - 337 cals

75bdf6j0vi11.pngdz3l2xuhpx20.png3twko9cq9nae.png

3:30 pm snack - yogurt (175 grams) - 73 cals

xap43b4seve3.png

4:30 pm snack - either apple (or other fruit) or crackers & cheese - 100 cals

Sub-total: 610 cals

7:00 pm dinner - lots of veg + something else - usually about 400 cals, but occasionally more. Once in a while even as much as 700 cal!

Sub-total: 1010 cals

And then a couple evening snacks around 8:30 pm and 11 pm. :) These might depend on how much exercise I've done and how many calories I've got to work with. These snacks will usually be yogurt, fruit, whole grain rye crackers maybe with a tiny bit of cheese ... that sort of thing.

This works for me ... most of the time. :)

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    4 days off!!

I can't take 3-week holidays anymore, but I can take long-long weekends. :)

At least one of those days is going to be devoted to making progress on my Assignment 2. But there will be some rest in there too.

M in Oz
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,578 Member
    Options
    Rho97070 wrote: »
    Good evening, ladies ~

A little more about me. Vegetarian/Semi-vegetarian since I was 15. Formally athletic (surfing, skiing, volleyball, latin dance and distance walking). In great shape until broke bones in my foot and packed pounds. Was never a runner though - at 1/8 mile, I get frighteningly short of breath (SOB). Now I know why. . .

Long story short: I recently had a sleep study doctor and saw a pulmonologist. The results/diagnosis: I have low RBCs, RLS, asthma, and mild OPD (that's non-chronic COPD). I've prob have had asthma since I was a child. Growing up in Los Angeles with layers of smog and smoker parents could that, eh? Taking iron supplements with Vit-C has should alleviate the RLS so I can get a good night's rest. The use of an inhaler during exercise and loosing weight should bring my RBCs back to normal and the alleviate SOB. What this means is that I should soon be feeling more energetic and have no excuses for not exercising regularly. Mentally, I'm all in :) Hope my knees hold up!!!

Day 4 of "Reinventing Rhonda"
    I stayed under my limits on everything and wasn't jonesing for sugar as usual. But need to include more fresh veggies and eat at more regular times.

Barbiecat and Sue in WA Thank you for the warm welcome <3
    Donna I'm new, too. Great bunch of gals. Just four days here and it feels like family.
    Lanette I am all for reading through my records (and seeing gory medical stuff). It opens my eyes to learning about what goes on in my own body.
    Karen in VA Thank also for the welcome <3 and the video of the bear. It was brilliant!
    pipcd34 My closest cousin was (finally) diagnosed with MS two years ago. BF (he rides) and I tried to find an AirBnB spot for the weekend but couldn't at a reasonable cost. It makes me happy to know that I (sort of) know someone that is participating. Should be a good day, and its such beautiful area, you're sure to enjoy the day.

This is a great group with lots of diverse gals who inspire me. I'm grateful to be a part of it

{{hugs to all}}
    Rhonda (south of PDX)

after this ride is over, I would like to send you a handkerchief to sign for the next year ride. it's one that I have peeps that I've run into that have or have friends affected by MS.
  • Machka9
    Options
    Review ... (Distances include cycling + walking + a bit of rowing)
    Mar-15 … 489.8 km (304.3 miles) = 38 hours 4 min
    Apr-15 … 491.94 km (305.6 miles) = 43 hours 6 min
    May-15 … 361.81 km (224.8 miles) = 35 hours 50 min
    Jun-15 … 569.53 km (353.9 miles) = 41 hours 53 min
    Jul-15 … 230.7 km (143.35 miles) = 32 hours 45 min
    Aug-15 … 211.3 km (131.3 miles) = 28 hours 8 min
    Sep-15 … 306.7 km (190.6 miles) = 35 hour 2 min
    Oct-15 … 441.82 km (274.5 miles) = 47 hours 43 min
    Nov-15 … 660.21 km (410.23 miles) = 60 hours 41 min
    Dec-15 … 499.91 km (282.8 miles) = 54 hours 56 min
    Jan-16 … 864.79 km (537.35 miles) = 65 hours 36 min
    Feb-16 … 470.53 km (292.4 miles) = 40 hours 39 min
    Mar-16 … 917.73 km (570.2 miles) = 66 hours 13 min
    Apr-16 … 417.83 km (259.6 miles) = 40 hours 23 min
    May-16 … 267.09 km (165.9 miles) = 36 hours 10 min
    Jun-16 … 552.1 km (343 miles) = 54 hours 48 min
    Jul-16 … 709 km (440.5 miles) = 60 hours 41 minutes
    Aug-16 … 775.9 km (482.1 miles) = 54 hours 52 minutes
    Sep-16 … 371.3 km (230.7 miles) = 32 hours 20 min
    Oct-16 … 649 km (403.3 miles) = 49 hours 46 min
    Nov-16 … 403 km (250.4 miles) = 52 hours 16 min
    Dec-16 … 511.05 km (317.55 miles) = 52 hours 2 min
    Jan-17 … 741.9 km (461.0 miles) = 70 hours 3 min
    Feb-17 … 600.5 km (373.1 miles) = 57 hours 30 min
    Mar-17 … 1113.2 km (691.7 miles) = 78 hours 25 min
    Apr-17 … 1181.9 km (734.4 miles) = 76 hours 45 min
    May-17 … 426.6 km (265.1 miles) = 39 hours 21 min
    Jun-17 … 575.7 km (357.7 miles) = 41 hours 53 min
    Jul-17 … 714 km (443.7 miles) = 52 hours 23 min
    Aug-17 … 475.8 km (295.6 miles) = 38 hours 41 min
    Sep-17 … 455.5 km (283 miles) = 41 hours 25 min
    Oct-17 … 647.1 km (402.1 miles) = 57 hours 19 min
    Nov-17 … 427.0 km (265.3 miles) = 50 hours 4 min
    Dec-17 … 553.5 km (343.9 miles) = 52 hours 12 min
    Jan-18 … 590.2 km (366.7 miles) = 57 hours 49 min
    Feb-18 … 826.9 km (513.8 miles) = 57 hours 35 min
    Mar-18 … 582.01 km (361.6 miles) = 50 hours 11 min
    Apr-18 … 176.23 km (109.5 miles) = 29 hours 47 min
    May -18 … 167.6 km (104.1 miles) = 29 hours 08 min
    June-18 … 349.9 km (217.4 miles) = 36 hours 58 minutes
    July-18 ... 324.2 km (201.5 miles) = 24 hours 26 minutes
    Aug-18 ... 210.1 km (130.6 miles) = 25 hours 59 minutes
    Sep-18 ... 261.7 km (162.6 miles) = 25 hours 11 minutes
    Oct-18 ... 230.8 km (143.4 miles) = 30 hours 15 minutes
    Nov-18 ... 216.8 km (134.7 miles) = 30 hours 3 minutes
    Dec-18 ... 285.2 km (177.2 miles) = 37 hours 49 minutes
    Jan-19 ... 241.6 km (150.1 miles) = 27 hours 2 minutes
    Feb-19 ... 175.5 km (109 miles) = 19 hours 8 minutes
    Mar-19 ... 170.3 km (105.8 miles) = 28 hours 21 minutes
    Apr-19 ... 160.3 km (99.6 miles) = 25 hours 4 minutes
    May-19 ... 164.0 km (101.9 miles) = 29 hours 10 minutes
    Jun-19 ... 246.2 km (153 miles) = 25 hours 40 minutes
    Jul-19 ... 217.3 km (135.0 miles) = 33 hours 45 minutes
    Aug-19 ... 162.5 km (100.9 miles) = 28 hours 4 minutes

Goal: More than August!!

Sunday, 1 September 2019 … 5.0 km walking + 0.0 km cycling + 0.0 km rowing + 0 flights of stairs
    Monday, 2 September 2019 … 4.3 km walking + 0.0 km cycling + 0.0 km rowing + 4 flights of stairs + pilates
    Tuesday, 3 September 2019 … 6.9 km walking + 0.0 km cycling + 0.0 km rowing + 6 flights of stairs
    Wednesday, 4 September 2019 … 2.9 km walking + 0.0 km cycling + 2.4 km rowing + 6 flights of stairs
    Thursday, 5 September 2019 … 1.8 km walking + 0.0 km cycling + 2.5 km rowing + 4 flights of stairs

2019 Monthly September
    Walking Distance (km): 20.9
    Walking Time (min): 252.3
    Cycling Distance (km): 0.0
    Cycling Time (min): 0.0
    Flights Stairs Climbed Number: 20.0
    Flights Stairs Climbed Time (min): 16.0
    Rowing Distance (km): 4.9
    Rowing Time (min): 33.0
    Other Distance: 0.0
    Other Time: 30.0

Totals
    Total Distance (km): 25.8
    Total Distance (miles): 16.0
    Total Time (min): 331.3
    Total Time (hr): 5:31:15

Machka in Oz
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,063 Member
    Options
    From Lisa:
    Karen - thank you, you said it before I could. Barbie, you've pointed up something that I've been struggling with for weeks---that I'm struggling with things I can't control.
    I can't control who they decide is my supervisor at work... but I CAN control how I choose to react to it.
    I can't control my weight... but I can control what I put in my mouth in terms of food, and I can control my exercise, what I do, how I do it, and when I do it.
    I can't control others, but I can control myself.

Love it. Great reminders!
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Trt
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,359 Member
    Options
    Did a body pump DVD today. The plan for tomorrow is to do Jillian Michael’s 30 day Shred DVD.

Karen in VA – when we lived in PA they had a mushroom festival every year. One thing they had was mushroom ice cream (you may stick your tongue out now)

Rhonda – what makes you a semi-vegetarian???

I must have had a lot of water weight because this morning the Wii said I lost 3 pounds!

Bananas – I’m almost ashamed to admit that I have a hard time managing fruit. But I do find that if I freeze fruit (cherries, bananas, blueberries, strawberries, etc) it seems to take longer to eat so therefore I don’t eat as much. I used to buy a bathingsuit on sale, it lasted usually about 2 months. I just found that spending $$ (even more) once pays off. Like that $70 bathingsuit now has cost me probably a bit over $7 a year. Did you go to a cat café?

Allie – My heart breaks for you. But I know you’ll do what is right for Chester. You’re not selfish. When Vince’s parents had their first dog, even tho he was in pain, they didn’t put him down. They felt that as long as he was wagging his tail, they shouldn’t put him down. The poor dog was probably wagging his tail because dogs want to please their masters. To me, letting him continue in pain is selfish

Lanette – I think I’m pretty muchly into my routine. Good for you getting out with people.

Green Room in a bit

Michele in NC
  • pipcd34
    Options
    lhscapil wrote: »
    It's Thursday, ladies!

Barbara AHMOD & Karen in VA - great job on the decks. Crossing fingers we can get ours done before the rains come. Not sure if DH is up for scrubbing ours down good enough before applying new stain. :/ But it is what it is.

Heather
    - sorry for the laptop woes. Catch me up - are you able to work on your book again? Very impressive seeing you heavier in that photo (I hadn't seen it before) and seeing how fit you are now and how you have made your exercise a habit. :)

Gallbladders - mine was removed due to being very painful, diagnosed with a polyp and not a gallstone.

Pip [/b]- looks like a cooler weekend (and possibly damp) for your ride this weekend :)

Quick update on surgeon visit yesterday... no allergy shots and no strength training for another 4 weeks. His recommendation for the allergy - take Benadryl and use moisturizing lotion. It's starting to look ok but still is itchy so I'm still using anti-itch creams.

I asked him what to do to prevent this from happening again... he said nothing. He said I didn't do anything that caused this. Will ask my primary care doc when I see her next if she knows what he meant by this. From the doc report, he removed some material that had "leaked" (fat?) and closed the small hole with sutures. I did have some infection under the belly button for some reason so he left a drain hole. Said he thought this would be better than removing tissue.

During this past week or so, I had time to reflect on what was important to me. I seriously considered dropping out of Master Gardeners (thinking I might be limited in what I could do from here on out). But realized that I'm becoming more and more isolated.... which isn't good for me. So I've renewed my enthusiasm with the group and while not willing to grub out gardens do the heavy lifting I did ten years ago, I can participate and be among folks I really like and have something in common with.

Time to close this epistle, lol.

Have a great day all! <3

Lanette
    SW WA State

we've been following the weather, supposed to be high of 76 on sat. possible showers on sun 40% oh well, we'll see
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,363 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Karen in VA - when I talked to the surgeon yesterday about something for the rash, I mentioned Zyrtec or Benadryl with the Pepcid. He shook his head and said just Benadryl.

Zyrtec plus Pepcid works miracles... AND his nurses said it was a great idea, lol.

I took a Benadryl this morning at 6 after spending an itchy night last night. Still not doing the trick so had my Pepcid a little bit ago.

Voila. Doing much better now.

He's good with a scalpel and pretty cute. But he doesn't know diddly about how to make my rash feel better :D .

Lanette
    SW WA State

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Ugh, horrible sinus pain and headache. I'm in Connecticut so it can't be barometric pressure changes from Dorian. 😩

For any of you lovely people that are in Dorian's path, you're in my thoughts and prayers. 💙

Lanette did you get your tecnu yet?
  • AZTeri2016
    AZTeri2016 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Good morning. Pip - I see that you ride to and from the gym. I wish I could do that and actually might start later when it's cooler out. The main road to it is not a safe ride, but there is an alternative route that takes a little longer, so we'll see. :)

I spoke with my trainer yesterday and we're switching Friday's training to Thursdays. That will be back-to-back training sessions, but I suspect he'll mix it up so I'm not working the same muscle groups. I'll give that a shot for a while and see how my ride goes on Saturday. I'm also going to plan pasta for dinner Friday night. If that helps me go further on Saturday, then I'll stick with it for a bit. I'd really like to add 5-8 more miles to our ride this weekend.

Still waiting on insurance approval for the next vein ablation. I wish they would hurry up, that leg is bothering me. I do wear my compression stocking when working out, but not riding - it's just too hot here for that! I'll put it on when I get home though. It is kind of odd that I'm feeling this because I didn't really have pain in the other veins, even though they were worse. Maybe I just wasn't aware of it? Or the pain was different? I know the swelling I used to have in my right ankle is gone now, so blood isn't pooling any more.

Isn't aging fun? Sigh. But it beats the alternative!