WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2019

Options

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,962 Member
    Options
    :) A few thoughts about medical insurance (and insurance, in general). I have had auto insurance and homeowners' insurance for as long as I can remember. Fortunately, I have only had to make use of them twice but I don't consider it unnecessary to have it. I had medical insurance paid by my employer until I was 65 and now have Medicare and a Medicare supplement and a prescription drug policy. For years, I didn't have to use the medical insurance but when I developed spinal stenosis "out of the blue", the insurance covered tens of thousands of dollars of medical and surgical expenses required to correct it. I thought I was the healthiest person in the world until I wasn't.

:)Lanette,you were up a lot earlier than me this morning. I lazed in bed snuggling with Bernie, the cat, until 5:15, knowing that I had no deadlines and could walk the dogs when I wanted. We walked for 35 minutes before breakfast and will go out soon to walk for about two hours.

:)Heather, I have wireless headphones for listening to TV in the house and blue tooth headphones for listening to my phone in the house or while walking. They were worth the expense because I use them so often and enjoy them so much.

<3 Barbie from chilly NW WA
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Carol - Lol every time we convince JR that he can’t fly another superhero on Tvs flying or Red Bull wings there we go again.

Got my 1st ever Gyno visit scheduled for the 25th. They wanted records well don’t got none some info I have was being a baby in a hospital with Mom dead y Dad dementia doubt I’ll find out who saw me. Newer stuff they’re going to have to fax 📠 them.I don’t have time to drive to other towns get stuff with JRs car sickness! Plus not sure all they did exactly since it was after talk with Doctor lots of were going to oops nope can’t maybe next surgery talk during a few for sures. Supposed to reattach my bladder but since they had trouble catheterizing me not sure if it fell again. Hospital did a full scan of my uterus to make sure I had no internal bleeding so maybe they can access that too. Some doctors I tried they didn’t have all my records anymore so oh well. Can’t go by all that anyways this could be just a cyst! Or even scar tissue .

Amber Tx

Today steamed steak,kale salad,bell pepper raw,crystal light peach tea, little potatoes 🥔 air fryer whole
  • Rho97070
    Rho97070 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    M in Oz
    IT ... my degree, should I successfully get it, is MITS ... Masters of Information Technology Systems.

Machka, you've demonstrated in this forum what a resourceful and self-determined that you are. Yet there's a smidgen of doubt about completing your Masters? Huh, what???

Do not believe that tiny voice! :wink:

• barbiecat
    Options
    Kim my comments about medical insurance was a response to the idea of "I don't need medical insurance " I was not thinking about the dilemma of not being able to afford it. <3
  • Rho97070
    Options
    CharlieAnn31 Welcome! We do seem to be a chatty group :wink:
    Congrats on losing the weight through WW!!! I'd love to be a size 10 again, but ending up in the hospital, yikes, no thanks. Very scary : :/ Are you needing to take an iron supplement now?

Beth in Buffalo I threw out the sugar I formally used for baking and found Stevia, but don't use it much. I'd like to get away from using all types of processed sugars. Being close to T2D, I need to watch my sugar intake overall (those found in fruit and vegetables as well). Keep up the good work! You're inspiring!!! :smile:

Lanette I owned Suburus in the 80's and 90's. In the Pacific NW (where we are:) they're everywhere, right? My last one was blue so I nick-named it Bluburu, hehe. I'd consider owning another one, but the BF and I sometimes trade car use and he's 6'5".
    Sharon from near Seattle now on vacay in Mexico - I have been craving a shrimp cocktail ever since you posted that photo a couple days ago. When the teleporter is available I'll whip down there and join you for a few hours. B)
    I'm coming, too!!! Mexican restaurant directly on a sandy beach, my fav! Loved the pic :smiley:

Carol in GA After #2 ex who wasn't a good choice, and raising children practically alone (extended fam lives out of state) and 25+ years of being single (and liking it), I dated but never thought I'd partner up again. But if I did, whoever it was had to treat me real well and be able to interact well with my three sons. We met and hit it off. Six months later, I introduced him to my three sons. In all the years, in all the guys I dated, this was the only guy that each of my sons encouraged me hang on to. He's is really a gem! <3

Barbie Can you recommend a good set of bluetooth headphones? I have an iPhone 7

Amber Tx I'm happy to hear you got the appointment scheduled!

Reinventing Rhonda - Week III
    Walk, drink more water, log foods and continue to lessen fats and sugars
    Get car transmission replaced or buy "new" used car by the end of the coming weekend.

Make the moments count, ladies.
    (((hugs)))

Rho (south of PDX)

• LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    Kim - take your motivation to lose weight and stay healthy wherever you need to, but I have no words for the rest of it. You matter too much to too many people to take that route. I went bankrupt in 2004, and, while it's not easy, it's not the end of the world. It's just a hurdle, dear, not a wall.

Heather - glad your family will all be there with you for your party, and that your DH is merging with the rest of the traffic on the information superhighway. :smile:

Just popping in to say "Hi," and back out to build a grant budget.

Later y'all,
    Lisa in AR
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,368 Member
    Options
    Get a load of this: the president of Newcomers asked Vince if he’d be on the nominating committee. Now why would he want to be bothered with that foolishness?

Beth – regarding sugar, to me give me a little bit of the good stuff or don’t give me anything at all. Most times it’s nothing at all since sugar is just empty calories. But food does taste so much better when you haven’t had it. Same with salt. ITA with your statements to Kim, totally

Carol GA – when I turned 40 I decided it would be cool to get a second piercing in my ear. Now I regret it to this day. One hole always gave me problems and always closed up, got infections and all. The other hole – no problem. I wish that one would close up

Barbie – I’m asking for a pair of wireless headphones for Christmas. When I’m downstairs exercising on the recumbent bike, with the fan on and the noise from the pedals, I have to turn the TV up somewhat loud and I’m always afraid it’ll disturb Vince and the cats.

Exercised, stopped at the Salvation Army (didn’t get anything), the bread outlet where I got rolls to bake for Vince, then Aldi, then Habitat for Humanity where I didn’t get anything. Then home to put away the groceries and in the pool. Tonight ceramics and mahjongg.

Michele in NC
  • Rho97070
    Options
    Kim Lots of good info and insights from folks on a similar path and from some who have "been-there-done-that" regarding the concerns and challenges you mentioned. My personal experience would be too long to post. That being said, it was tougher for me to afford monthly insurance premiums and cover my housing expense while I was working, leading up to being eligible for Medicare. Getting on Medicare (when it's time - at 65) is not hard. But understanding the array of options can be daunting, and that's coming from someone (me) who worked in the health care insurance industry for 25 years! Medicare Part A (hospital coverage) costs zero. My Part B (doctor and out-patient hospital/health facility coverage) is $135.50 a month with a $183 annual deductible. Co-payments are limited to 20% of the Medicare approved bill.

You're smart to begin looking into all the options, including US Federal and your State's assistance programs, i.e. QMB as well as energy assistance. ;)
  • barbiecat
    Options
    :)Vicki, congrats on passing your motorcycle test.