Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Unwanted advice at gym

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    edited September 2019
    wmd1979 wrote: »
    Call me non-sociable, or whatever, but I really don't want to be talking to anyone at the gym, period. There is a big difference in being polite and saying hello, to giving advice or inquiring about someone else's workout. That annoys me to no end, and especially in this situation I would have probably told the guy to *kitten* off. I just want to get in there, do my work, and leave. People who do this are either making a very poor attempt at flirting, or are trying to feed their ego. I wish there was one gym we could ship all these people off to. That would be pretty entertaining actually, to see all these bro types critiquing each other and trying to determine who has the most perfect form. Thats reality tv I would watch.

Assuming from your photo/avatar you're male, if you told him to kitten off, he wouldn't have called you a b***h or a c**t, which is actually on the low end of what women have to be aware could happen if they tell a jerk offering unsolicited advice, compliments, or invitations "no".

I dunno... I have no problem telling a dude to eff off and leave me the eff alone. 🤷🏼‍♀️

More power to you. I've been called a b***h and a c**t and had my path blocked multiple times by guys (sometimes by guys acting as a group) just for ignoring a total stranger's demand that I smile or attempts to engage me in conversation. I don't need anyone, not even another woman, judging my decisions about how to avoid unpleasant and threatening situations.

That's sad. But no one is judging you. Do you. For me, I have no problem telling someone to go eff themselves... Male, female or otherwise. 🤷🏼‍♀️
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    There are jerks in the malls, there are jerks in the workplace. The gym is no different. I spent a lot of time at the gym, and I've seen this type of thing over and over again. There are people that are genuine and just wanting to be helpful (they offer advice to male and females and tend to be quite sociable all around) and there are others who lurk and wait for the right opportunity to pounce.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Guess I am just evil.... I watched a guy doing deads with poor form.... threw out his back. I didn't say a word. Polite or just gym rules?
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 910 Member
    i've had this happen. in your case, i would have said, "my personal trainer disagrees" and turned my back.

in my case, i was less polite :D
  • Just look him straight in the eye and say "Is this your awkward way of hitting on me, because if it is, it's not working", and then ignore him, no matter if he keeps talking or not. Who cares if you tick him off, he should learn not to stare, or to come over and give "well-meaning" advice. Besides, if you were doing it wrong, I'm sure your own Trainer would of corrected your posture already, he just wanted to get your attention and didn't know how to do it.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    edited September 2019
    psychod787 wrote: »
    Guess I am just evil.... I watched a guy doing deads with poor form.... threw out his back. I didn't say a word. Polite or just gym rules?

One of my previous physical therapists, who specializes in sports medicine and works with athletes every workday, told me a story about how she watched someone nearly dislocate both of their knees at the gym. Their technique while doing I don't remember what lift was just that bad and they were lifting a lot of weight.

She turned around and ignored him. Had he hurt himself she'd likely have been obligated to do something, but that "something" isn't telling him how to lift.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    I suppose I'd be willing to give someone unsolicited advice if it was because they were doing something that directly affected me. The example I'm thinking of is if you're lap swimming and there are multiple people in a lane and one of those people doesn't know the direction of circle swimming at that pool. That's especially true if it's posted on a sign on the pool deck that you can easily point to, though regardless communication needs to happen so people aren't swimming literally head to head.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    OP - If you want to deter guys from hitting on you, wear large headphones, and wear non-sexy clothes and no makeup.

Yes, it's occasionally appropriate to help others.. like the wandering newbie who's using machines upside down and there's no staff to help. It's not much different than telling someone they dropped something from their wallet, telling a driver their headlights are off, asking a lost tourist if they need help, etc.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    edited September 2019
    ceiswyn wrote: »
    psychod787 wrote: »

Anyone else putting this together with a few threads in the General forum and kinda... wondering...? :D

I am evil....... lol Not Joker evil.... More like Emperor Palpatine from star wars...