October 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    So I had my 10K race this morning:

Had a staggered start as it was on the greenway and it could get really crowded if everybody started at the same time. Staggered meaning you could start any time between 8-9. The marathoners and half marathoners started earlier.

So got there, got my timing chip, and I wanted to get it done so I started couple min after 8. It was overcast and a cool 63 at start time. Off I went and felt pretty good, so I pushed the pace a little, with the intent of slowing up at the gradual uphill that I knew was coming...First mile was around 9:35 which kind of fast for me! I was still feeling good so just kept that pace through out. Walked briefly thorough water station cause I can’t run and drink either. I really wanted to beat my previous PR of 102.09, and by the time I was headed back after half way point, I knew I had a good chance of doing it...I just told myself to keep at it... the last half mile has a steep hill that I was planning on walking then running hard to the finish the last .20. However, I just said wth, and ran it and hard to the finish.

My husband was waiting and I smiled at him knowing I had beaten my goal..
    They weren’t going to post final results until the last person came in which could be another couple hours so we decided to go home.
    Finally got a text with results...final time for me: 57:47.2!! 9:19 Average Pace.. Good enough for 1 in AG (out of 4 but hey it counts) and 8 out of 30 Female, and 16 - 44 Overall.. Gotta love smaller races! Lol!
    I’ll take it though. I’m super happy and sorry to brag but never in a million years did I think I could do this!

Had a Italian buffet lunch to celebrate and now just Netflixing...

That's congrats on the AG win and PR! It definitely counts!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @143tob Well done!

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Just had a quick look at the google doc for the miles for Kevin (MobyCarp) runs.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1u1kakszOV9CNZ6ONIzsQjF2Oq8lgpOZh/edit#gid=1527975205

As it stands, from what I can make out (I suck at spreadsheets lol) if we moved the start back an hour and start the 24 hour period at 6pm EST, we would still have 8 hours to cover to make the full 24. Anyone able to take any of those slots?

I started a thread an taged you . I'm running short on time this morning and on mobile so I don't have the link to the new thread. It's in the group challenges thread. Sorry I'm lazy...
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,975 Member
    Options
    @143tobe CONGRATULATIONS!!!! Those are excellent results! Good for you for making your fantasy goal pace!
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    Options
    Squish815 wrote: »
    I've finally caught up on the 170ish posts I was behind on! First up, very well done to @143tobe (x2!), @kgirlhart , @katharmonic , @rheddmobile , @hamsterwheel6 and anyone else I may have missed! Some fantastic runs there.

Thank you @quilteryoyo for the well wishes - I was feeling much better by Saturday morning and managed to run on the Sunday which leads me to....

My first race report! I'll try and keep is brief-ish.

Being ill the week before any race sucks, even more so when the predicted weather for the day of the race is torrential rain. I think I spent most of last week worrying I wouldn't be well enough to run or worrying the rain would be so bad I'd quit halfway through. Thankfully I felt mostly better by Friday night so knew I'd at last make it to the start, just had to keep my fingers crossed that the rain wouldn't be as bad as predicted.

Woke up on Sunday to the sound of rain on our bedroom window and a horrible nervous feeling that made it difficult to finish my breakfast. However I got ready and headed to the race to meet my friends and collect our race numbers. The rain stopped about an hour before the race started and then, by some miracle, stayed away for the rest of the morning! Yes, it did mean some bits were muddier than normal but that's better than endless rain.

We started at exactly half 9. The route was great - quite varied and the promised hill was nowhere near as scary as I'd been led to believe. The support from locals and family members was absolutely amazing - honestly don't think I'd have done half as well without it! I was completely fine until just after mile 11 when I started to flag. Just after the 12 mile marker I had to stop a few times to walk a few steps before forcing myself to run again. As we entered the last 500m I spotted my husband who took loads of pictures for us and then on the other side I spotted my Mum, sister and 6 month old nephew (I'll add a pic of the moment I spotted them) ! THIS got me through those last few 100 meters and me and my 2 friends crossed the line together. Our aim was 2.5 hours - we made it in 2:15:38!

Honestly, I'm so proud of us as we did it so much quicker than expected and helped push each other through the 13ish miles! I also enjoyed it waaaaay more than I expected and I aim to run at least 1 or 2 more half's next year! Also nowhere near as achy as expected today, although my legs are a bit stiff. I'm off to get some housework done though, so that should help!

Thanks to everyone here who encouraged and gave me advice! Every bit of it helped!

Sorry - don't know how to add in a spoiler - I'm the excited looking one in the black! ke6xyvudo6gj.jpg

Super cute picture, congratulations!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    well done @Squish815
    love the excitement and the leggings

how to spoiler
    nbz66k8egu3y.png
  • Squish815
    Squish815 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Thanks @LoveyChar !

And thank you @mbaker566 - I knew it was hiding somewhere! Unfortunately I'm about a minute too late to edit.

@T1DCarnivoreRunner Thank you! Done a little research but races round my way are currently a bit thin on the ground as winter is coming up. I'll find something though I'm sure!
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    @polskagirl01 Ugh, hail is the worst! Be safe.
    It wasn't too bad this time. Pretty small and light. At one point I was wondering if it wasn't maybe turning into s... but NO, this is early October; I can't start using nasty words like that yet.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,980 Member
    Options
    @143tobe Great job on your 5K PR!

Thanks @Squish815 and great job on your HM!
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,975 Member
    Options
    @Squish815 Great job on you HM and beating your goal by 15 minutes! That's amazing!!! I do love your enthusiasm in the picture!
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options
    Just had a quick look at the google doc for the miles for Kevin (MobyCarp) runs.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1u1kakszOV9CNZ6ONIzsQjF2Oq8lgpOZh/edit#gid=1527975205

As it stands, from what I can make out (I suck at spreadsheets lol) if we moved the start back an hour and start the 24 hour period at 6pm EST, we would still have 8 hours to cover to make the full 24. Anyone able to take any of those slots?

I'm registered to do a 10 mile race that begins at 7:30 am in Eastern Time zone (Tennessee) on November 3. Those slots are already full but maybe we can double up?
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,443 Member
    Options
    @Squish815 Great job on your Half Marathon, and CRUSHING your goal time!! :o
  • zeesparrow
    zeesparrow Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    So many great race reports this weekend! Congratulations @143tobe @hamsterwheel6 @Squish815 and all the rest of the racers!

I ran 3.5 miles Saturday and another 4 Sunday. Today is a rest day, but as I slept well, I took the dogs for a 45 minute walk this morning before work. That was almost more tiring than a run!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Teresa502 wrote: »

I'm registered to do a 10 mile race that begins at 7:30 am in Eastern Time zone (Tennessee) on November 3. Those slots are already full but maybe we can double up?

I'm also doing a race (marathon) in eastern time zone (WV) starting at 7am, so that is why I filled up 5 hours. I'm sure many of us are doing a morning race that day on the same day as the New York Marathon.