What Was Your Work Out Today?

Options

Replies

• CentaurusSoter
    CentaurusSoter Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Former Eugene/Springfield resident here as well. The PNW is beautiful, but that weather is not for everyone, myself included. I missed the sun and the heat before I moved back home to the South. It's on my places of "no thanks, I'm good" from October through March.

Anywho, another day, another 33km done.

33km | 67:45
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    @ Aoyoke - Oh, I don't doubt that it sucks with all that rain. Portland is so beautiful, though, it's almost worth it! Not for me. I lived in Eugene for two years. Probably not quite as wet. Rain is why I moved out of Cincinnati. A few years ago, they had 74 inches of rain, shattering 100 year old records and making Portland look fairly dry in comparison. Cincy this year has nearly 28 inches when I left in March already. Seattle had 15 inches in that same time. Last I had heard, Cincy had 40 inches by June. If you throw out historic averages and just look at the last 10 years, Cincy is one of the wettest, nastiest weather cities in the US. Nothing like Houston, perhaps, but there's not many cities that get more rain. People do love the green and flowers, though. Give me drier weather at my age! It's getting into hiking season here!

In the Summers, you have the most beautiful parts of the US and the ocean too, IMHO.

Hope you feel better! Got to try to find a vet open today. My handicapped dog (Toby, he has a severely deformed front leg, had it since he was a puppy. We knew it but he was from a kill shelter and we worried he wouldn't make it out if we didn't take him), somehow injured his back leg. Got to find a vet that can look at it. He's only got two good legs currently, not a great situation.

Yeah I'd assume Eugene has less rain but the pollen counts...I know multiple people, myself include, who would be miserable for a chunk of the year for that reason alone.! Good luck with Toby as well. Pet injuries are so hard - fingers crossed for all of you.

Rowing today: 11.8k in a 4 with me sitting in stroke seat. We had great water for the first half of practice and then it was wake after wake after wake for the second half. The second half consisted of an 18 minute head race piece and then a 9 minute piece.

My catches are getting so much better, even at higher rates. I was also pretty consistent in terms of my rate according to my cox. At one point we also happened to stop just as a bald eagle was trying to find fish in the river with a bunch of gulls circling above. The eagle was unsuccessful, but our 4 and one of the 8s who was also paused watched it for a good 5 minutes.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    went for a run in the rain (about 7 km).
  • surfbug808
    surfbug808 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    1.5k relaxed ocean swim, some sprinting, stretching...
  • geraldaltman
    geraldaltman Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    Sixty-five minutes of water calesthenics (longer because I added a couple new ones) then twenty minutes of water walking which near the end turned into a little jog (which surprised me because I DON'T RUN 😂).
  • sarko15
    sarko15 Posts: 330 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Today - roughly 8 mile hike (was meant to be 6)
    Tomorrow - REST!
  • CentaurusSoter
    Options
    33km | 66:11

I don't know how many more of these rides I have. Just such a long time to ride, especially day after day. Getting tired of being so tired during a ride. Without carbs, it's a slog.. with carbs it's a slog unless I load up before or during. Neither of which I enjoy doing.

I might just scale back down to my 30 minute rides. 60+ minutes on the bike plus stretching time is just a bit too much time to sink in a day on biking.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Extremely wet half marathon run this morning. That's it, my last race of the year. If I'm honest I'm starting to feel a little burnt out as far as races go. Not going to train for anything specific over the next 3 months and then start half training again in the new year
  • Lolinloggen
    Lolinloggen Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    A 8km run this morning in the rain. Better time than anticipated and further than I thought possible after my long walk Thursday. Followed by a walk through town and a museum with a friend (another 10k steps) Feeling good
  • aokoye
    Options

I don't know how many more of these rides I have. Just such a long time to ride, especially day after day. Getting tired of being so tired during a ride. Without carbs, it's a slog.. with carbs it's a slog unless I load up before or during. Neither of which I enjoy doing.

I might just scale back down to my 30 minute rides. 60+ minutes on the bike plus stretching time is just a bit too much time to sink in a day on biking.
    This might be a cue that you need schedule in a rest day or two.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,127 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Half day mini rowing "camp" coached by a multi-time Big Ten coach of the year, assisted by his wife, a high-level masters rower. Only about 10k rowing (in the double)., so modest volume, but great insights, video review, on-point drills, etc. Small enough group to allow plenty of personal attention. (I didn't count participants: Maybe 10-ish, all people I know so very convivial.) So informative, so much fun! :)
  • CentaurusSoter
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »

No, it's riding on carbs or riding ketogenic. Not a rest day issue, it's a difference in what's fueling me during a ride. I can rest for a year and carb exhaustion is still gonna be an issue at 33km.
  • aokoye
    Options

No, it's riding on carbs or riding ketogenic. Not a rest day issue, it's a difference in what's fueling me during a ride. I can rest for a year and carb exhaustion is still gonna be an issue at 33km.

Have you looked into various cyclists and other endurance athletes who are on a ketogenic diet? Juliana Buhring comes immediately to mind but I'm sure there are others.

1 hour of indoor or outdoor riding is typically something that I do fasted if it's a "I just woke up and now I'm getting on the bike" (I typically ride indoors shortly after waking up) but I'm also not on any specific diet. From what I can tell, doing an hour without any extra fueling isn't especially unusual, there was just a post that touched on this late last month
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    Yesterday: 15 mile hike with 4000 feet of ascent in the Black Mountains in Wales.
    Today: nothing.

Pulling back on my exercise schedule over the winter because I’m bored of being tired all the time, I have some other things to do, and I hate getting home at 9pm :)
  • surfbug808
    surfbug808 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    15 min stretching, 10 minute strength training, 45 minutes soccer practice
  • CentaurusSoter
    edited October 2019
    Options

Have you looked into various cyclists and other endurance athletes who are on a ketogenic diet? Juliana Buhring comes immediately to mind but I'm sure there are others.

1 hour of indoor or outdoor riding is typically something that I do fasted if it's a "I just woke up and now I'm getting on the bike" (I typically ride indoors shortly after waking up) but I'm also not on any specific diet. From what I can tell, doing an hour without any extra fueling isn't especially unusual, there was just a post that touched on this late last month

Did you read what you linked? It's literally going into detail on what I've been talking about where diet does matter.. Riding on glucose vs ketones is a different beast. Boinking as it's called is a thing you're gonna get, especially if you're diet is low carb or ketogenic as mine is, but you have enough carbs in your system to not be in a ketogenic state. I dunno why you're dead set or arguing this as if I'm wrong when linking an article that talks about what I've said before. I'm not on a diet where I have 200-300 grams of carbohydrates to use as fuel on a normal ride. I have had plenty of days where I'll exceed my ketosis threshold that kicks me from a ketogenic state, meaning my rides are going to have boinks at 15-20+ miles, as I'm riding on carbs those days.

Really, just read the exact thing you linked. No sense arguing this.. I know what I'm experiencing, the cause of it, and what I can do to change it. I dunno why I can't just say I don't enjoy long rides and that's the end of it. Just read the thing you linked if you need an explination.

Since I assume you actually won't read what you linked, since you didn't.. that person consumes 200g or so of fat a day on normal days. That's a lot. They also seem to have 400-500g of fat in fuel for during their long rides. That's a lot. So, the distance rider eats a bunnnch more fat, eats more carbs, and refuels during distance rides. This doesn't require a response. It's irksome when people don't read their own links.
  • aokoye
    edited October 2019
    Options

Did you read what you linked? It's literally going into detail on what I've been talking about where diet does matter.. Riding on glucose vs ketones is a different beast. Boinking as it's called is a thing you're gonna get, especially if you're diet is low carb or ketogenic as mine is, but you have enough carbs in your system to not be in a ketogenic state. I dunno why you're dead set or arguing this as if I'm wrong when linking an article that talks about what I've said before. I'm not on a diet where I have 200-300 grams of carbohydrates to use as fuel on a normal ride. I have had plenty of days where I'll exceed my ketosis threshold that kicks me from a ketogenic state, meaning my rides are going to have boinks at 15-20+ miles, as I'm riding on carbs those days.

Really, just read the exact thing you linked. No sense arguing this.. I know what I'm experiencing, the cause of it, and what I can do to change it. I dunno why I can't just say I don't enjoy long rides and that's the end of it. Just read the thing you linked if you need an explination.

Since I assume you actually won't read what you linked, since you didn't.. that person consumes 200g or so of fat a day on normal days. That's a lot. They also seem to have 400-500g of fat in fuel for during their long rides. That's a lot. So, the distance rider eats a bunnnch more fat, eats more carbs, and refuels during distance rides. This doesn't require a response. It's irksome when people don't read their own links.

So - all that I did was give you a link to a very successful athlete who wrote about being on a keto diet (and successfully so), share my experiences, and essentially say that one of the reasons that they might be different to yours is because I'm not on any specific diet and that's arguing? We either have very different definitions of arguing or you're reading significantly more into this than was actually written or implied. Both are potentially true but the latter is likely spot on. And yes, I'm responding to your post because what you wrote with regards to the bulk of your assumptions about me isn't actually accurate.

If you want to go on about me not reading the link that I posted, did you you read this bit -
    I get up in the morning and have a coffee or two, drink a capfull of xct oil...
    After this, I am fairly buzzing with enough energy to rival the Flash, and off I go on a training ride. The first food I eat will be at around 1:00 or 2:00 pm, either just back from training, or half way through a long ride.
    Basically, I fast 16 hours out of 24, whether I am training or not. My body does not get hungry, it burns the fat slowly and efficientlly and goes on burning it at the same rate all day long, because it is not worried about the next time I will feed it.

She's not actually doing a lot of eating on the bike (though the fasting 16 hours is a broken up 16 hours from what I can tell from her post). The picture with what she eats during a 300km ride should give you a visual representation of how much (or little) she's eating whle riding but above quote does as well. And before you start assuming more things than you already have (again, most if not all have been false in terms of what you've put into writing) - I'm well aware that you are not her. I suspect that no one who posts here with any frequency likely puts in the sheer amount of training volume that she does when she's training for a ride. That sheer amount of volume would point to why she's consuming so much fat.

Yesterday you said that, "Without carbs, it's a slog.. with carbs it's a slog unless I load up before or during. Neither of which I enjoy doing." The point is that people have found ways to make it not be a slog while in keto and if for whatever reason you decide to stop doing keto, there are ways to make it not slog there as well. The person I linked to above isn't eating a lot on the bike (certainly not within an hour of riding) so the whole point of my posting a link was to say, "here's a resource - use it if you want."

And yes, I am well aware that you and I are two different people. I did in fact mention that while I can do an hour of riding fasted (I think 2 hours is the tipping point for me), that I'm not on keto. The most obvious contrast there being the word "not".

So, you can keep making these assumptions that I'm posting out of malice and ignorance if you want (no one other than you can stop you from making those assumptions), but that would exceedingly far from the truth and it would be completely baseless.

edited for a bit more context in a quote
  • aokoye
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Weight lifting class. I felt significantly better about it today than I did last Wednesday, thankfully. Deadlift and bench press. Lots of learning on my part
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,127 Member
    Options
    Back on the water, rowing bow in the double for the usual 7k +/- , sticking to moderate intensity steady state so we could practice some of the things we learned in yesterday's rowing camp.

(Among other things, working on loading at the catch via a combination of factors including hip positioning, "up and out" movement to further turn the oarlocks going into the catch, listening for the "click" as the blade connects with the water (or however you think of it - not the sound non-rowers might expect though) before leg pressure, relaxed proper grip, etc.). Both of us still experiencing the occasional bladework "oops" from trying things, so not trying to power it up too much, as a swimming-avoidance strategy in the 50 degree F weather. :lol: )
  • carlaringuette
    carlaringuette Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    HIIT class tonight