October 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Hey all.

Question, has anyone noticed the battery life on their garmin suddenly has decreased? I've had my vivoactive 3 for 14 months now and it's been awesome, usually going a week on a charge. Now, suddenly, it's lasting 2 days. I like wearing it as a smart watch now v

I've googled but get varying results but no actual solutions. Last night I charged it to 100%, 11 hrs later its down to 88.

Worth annoying Garmin over or just replace?
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    Hey all.

Question, has anyone noticed the battery life on their garmin suddenly has decreased? I've had my vivoactive 3 for 14 months now and it's been awesome, usually going a week on a charge. Now, suddenly, it's lasting 2 days. I like wearing it as a smart watch now v

I've googled but get varying results but no actual solutions. Last night I charged it to 100%, 11 hrs later its down to 88.

Worth annoying Garmin over or just replace?

Yes! My Fenix 3 HR is old and I figured it was starting to fail. Also, my Aftershokz suddenly have less battery life.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,403 Member
    Options
    @zeesparrow - I know I am standing up straighter but I am not sure if that is from running or from my trainer wanting me to pull my shoulder blades together. Either way I think it helps with the ability to breath better when you are running.
    @T1DCarnivoreRunner - One thing I found with my Trekz is I only charge them when they are low or dead and I only charge them until they are completely charged. I don't leave them plugged in overnight or anything more than an hour or so. Before I gave up on my Jaybird headphones (other issues) the support people told me to never charge them more than 20 minutes or until just when the light changed indicating a full charge. So far it has worked for my Trekz too.

Another question for the group - has anyone read The Cool Impossible by Eric Orton and have you tried his exercises for strengthening and helping your running form? If you have has it helped?

I have a little issue with the way the book is written (as if you were there with him and he is walking you through everything) but I am planning to give the exercises a try and see if they help. He claims that if you do them correctly and consistently they will correct issues with your form and lead to less or no injuries.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,040 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    @Teresa502 I will put that on my list to check out for next year - when I'm ready for a 10 miler. Google maps says I'm a little over 2 hours away from Cades Cove. I really thought I was closer. Still, that's not too bad and would be a really fun run. When I was in college, a group of us went down and rented bikes and biked the loop. We stopped at one of the churches and had a picnic. You almost always see some sort of wildlife, no matter the time of day. I bet the deer are out in force, as are the turkey's early in the morning. Enjoy!

@shanaber Hope everything goes well for Hobbes! Have a fun trip!
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    I'm no longer going to pace a friend for 17 miles of her 100 mile race on October 20th. I need to drop that to keep peace in the house, though I still plan on a long run that day, so I'm not sure what's to gain for her if I skip pacing.
    I may be way off here, but as a wife, one major gain would be knowing you weren't running with another woman that day. Even if I didn't run myself, even if there's no question that it's really a friend and nothing more, and even if I didn't know about the connection that happens between any 2 humans who are out there running together. I'd probably even know in my head that it's not that big a deal and there are many other males pacing females and it's totally fine, there are plenty of other people out on the trail as well, I'm being irrational, etc... but I still wouldn't like it.
    But whatever the reason, I think it's a good thing to make the compromise and not do the pacing that one day if it's a big deal to your spouse.
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    October Goal 100 miles

October 2 – 5.18 miles
    October 4 – 10.7 miles
    October 7 – 4.01 miles
    October 8 – 4.51 miles
    October 9 – 5 miles

Another cool 55F run at 5 this morning. Now this is Fall weather!

@rheddmobile – Congratulations on your female master award! I enjoyed reading your race report but you are not slow at all! I couldn’t run a mile at 7:33 if Satan himself was chasing me!

Great race report @7lenny7! Glad you had such a good race and took the time to recognize the beauty in the day and in your ability. That cathedral is beautiful! @katharmonic – I also thought of @MobyCarp and his race reports when I was reading.