October 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    Here we go again... On October 12, Eliud Kipchoge will attempt a sub-2:00 marathon in Vienna, Austria, in a special event called the Ineos 1:59 Challenge.

https://www.runnersworld.com/news/a27376371/eliud-kipchoge-two-hour-marathon-attempt/

I don't understand the fascination with the nice round number of a time of 2:00:00 as if it's some sort of mystical barrier.

Setting a new world record, now that's cool. The fact that it's under a nice round number...meh

Well fine, then he is trying to set a world record of 1:59:59 :tongue:

But it's the 2:00:00 "barrier" he's trying to break, right?

It is just a convenient target to aim for. :tongue: Targets are helpful.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Here we go again... On October 12, Eliud Kipchoge will attempt a sub-2:00 marathon in Vienna, Austria, in a special event called the Ineos 1:59 Challenge.

https://www.runnersworld.com/news/a27376371/eliud-kipchoge-two-hour-marathon-attempt/

I don't understand the fascination with the nice round number of a time of 2:00:00 as if it's some sort of mystical barrier.

Setting a new world record, now that's cool. The fact that it's under a nice round number...meh

I bet Kipchoge is one of those runners who always has to keep running his training runs until he gets to a whole number. No tenths of a kilometer for him!
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,975 Member
    Options
    Good luck @rheddmobile and @7lenny7 !

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options

I bet Kipchoge is one of those runners who always has to keep running his training runs until he gets to a whole number. No tenths of a kilometer for him!

I am probably dreaming this, but was there a report at some point that said that breaking 2 hours was impossible for a human? If so that makes it a prime target.
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Date :::: Miles :::: Cumulative
    10/01/19 :::: 4.8 :::: 4.8
    10/02/19 :::: 3.0 :::: 7.8
    10/03/19 :::: 0.0 :::: 7.8
    10/04/19 :::: 3.1 :::: 10.8
    10/05/19 :::: 10.1 :::: 21.0
    10/06/19 :::: 1.0 :::: 22.0
    10/07/19 :::: 2.7 :::: 24.7
    10/08/19 :::: 3.4 :::: 28.1
    10/09/19 :::: 3.2 :::: 31.2
    10/10/19 :::: 2.2 :::: 33.4

Treadmill warm-up run this morning then my last strength training session before my races next weekend. I just did upper body and core stuff today as I don't want sore legs from here out.

Also I just found out from my blood test results that I'm slightly anemic. Anyone deal with this? I do feel tired all the time, but I chalked that up to training and stress. Maybe not? So I guess I'll be working on diet and supplementing iron.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Date :::: Miles :::: Cumulative
    10/01/19 :::: 4.8 :::: 4.8
    10/02/19 :::: 3.0 :::: 7.8
    10/03/19 :::: 0.0 :::: 7.8
    10/04/19 :::: 3.1 :::: 10.8
    10/05/19 :::: 10.1 :::: 21.0
    10/06/19 :::: 1.0 :::: 22.0
    10/07/19 :::: 2.7 :::: 24.7
    10/08/19 :::: 3.4 :::: 28.1
    10/09/19 :::: 3.2 :::: 31.2
    10/10/19 :::: 2.2 :::: 33.4

Treadmill warm-up run this morning then my last strength training session before my races next weekend. I just did upper body and core stuff today as I don't want sore legs from here out.

Also I just found out from my blood test results that I'm slightly anemic. Anyone deal with this? I do feel tired all the time, but I chalked that up to training and stress. Maybe not? So I guess I'll be working on diet and supplementing iron.

I read an article a while ago that a significant percentage of female long distance runners are anemic, because apparently the act of banging your feet about damages blood cells? You would think that lots of cardio prompts your body to make more red cells but apparently not. Anyway I’m also anemic, but probably not because of running - in my case, my lupus causes periodic vasculitis (inflammation of the blood vessels) which causes petichiae (little blood blisters under the skin) which kills a bunch of red cells. My solution is to supplement using Feosol bifera, which contains both heme and non heme iron, making it a little easier to absorb and easier on the stomach.

There are some other things that can help - if you drink coffee or tea at every meal or consume a lot of calcium rich food, all those things can block absorption of iron, while vitamin c helps iron absorption. Or if you have heavy periods, get those under control with meds.

That doesn't fit my personal experience anyway. My red blood cells seem to last forever since I've started running and become more fit. As a result, my HbA1C's are always artificially inflated now. While they are not bad, they would look a lot better if they matched what my CGM would indicate is my eAG.
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    @katharmonic I've been battling this issue pretty much since puberty. Female, heavy periods, vegetarian, immune system issues, bla bla bla.
    I've been given iron supplements in various forms and strengths over the years and with all, as others have said, the most important things (apart from actually remembering to take the bloody things!) were to keep them well away from dairy, especially milk (think they made me leave at least a 3 hour gap between my morning coffee and taking them). Also try to take them with something with Vit C in. In a nutshell, calcium impedes iron absorption while Vit C aids it. Remember this while cooking too, as Elise said. Think lentils with tomato, chick pea salad with orange dressing...
    At the moment I'm getting by on a specific multi-vitamin supplement for women with a high iron content, but this is one of those things it's best to take your doctor's advice on.
    Oh, another thing about iron supplements... they can make you very constipated as well as turning what you produce a very worrying black colour! I found eating lots of kiwis was good for that, with the Vit C as an extra benefit!
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Thank you @rheddmobile, @Elise4270 and @eleanorhawkins. I appreciate the tips. I'm also supplementing calcium and eat a lot of dairy so that's really important to know. Might take a bit to figure out the timing of everything. Definitely need to work on the Vitamin C.

I read a little about the impact-related breakdown of red blood cells. Seems a little crazy but apparently true and happens for all exercise but runners more so than cyclists, for instance, because of the frequent footstrikes. Women who run are just up against all kinds of risk factors.
  • Squish815
    Squish815 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Just trying to catch up! Thanks to those I missed earlier who congratulated me and well done to everyone who has posted about their recent runs/races. Some great reports I'm still catching up on!

06 Oct - 13.1 miles (outside)
    10 Oct - 1.5 miles (treadmill)
    11 Oct - 1.7 miles (treadmill)

Total - 16.3/50
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options
    We have a cold front blowing in today following a rain storm. Woohoo cool weather!! But it will be 51F at race start for my 10 miler tomorrow and I haven't seen those temps in so long I can't remember how I dress for them. I'm hoping it will cool off enough by this evening that I can experiment a little. I'm thinking shorts and a long sleeve shirt. Maybe. Tank and capris? I don't know.

I know everyone is different but it was around that temp when I ran this morning and I had on capris and a short sleeve tech shirt. I wasn't cold at all!