October 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @ContraryMaryMary well done! I find races tend to go better when you forget to watch the clock. :)
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    @katharmonic great job getting through the first HM with your 2nd fastest time. Good luck with your 2nd HM today!!

@ContraryMaryMary awesome HM for you too! Despite being tired and late you showed your toughness and got that PR!!
  • TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    Great running everyone
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    I came across this article this morning. Basically, the lady has been running for years. She runs 6 miles a day for 6 days a week, weight lifts, and makes a half marathon her longest run while marathon training. She also does strength training. It's an interesting take on a training plan. It worked for her and as the article said would probably work for those that have been running a while, has done many marathons, and put in the right effort for each run.

https://www.runnersworld.com/training/a29033623/run-marathon-with-less-training/?utm_medium=social-media&utm_campaign=socialflowTWRW&utm_source=twitter
  • TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    I don't know how long I need to plan for a half marathon. Literally no exercise before June. Followed C25K and did my first 5k at the start of the month. Now running 5ks twice a week and did a 10k earlier this week. Todays run was 5k to McDonalds, stop 10 minutes for a latte, 5k back again and I was ready to stop at the end.

Running fairly consistent miles between 9:55 and 10:15. The 10k wasn't pushing it though I don't want to cause any damage and I still have 2 stone more to lose. So I was looking at around March for a half. Any thoughts?
  • Camaramandy648
    Camaramandy648 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I don't know how long I need to plan for a half marathon. Literally no exercise before June. Followed C25K and did my first 5k at the start of the month. Now running 5ks twice a week and did a 10k earlier this week. Todays run was 5k to McDonalds, stop 10 minutes for a latte, 5k back again and I was ready to stop at the end.

Running fairly consistent miles between 9:55 and 10:15. The 10k wasn't pushing it though I don't want to cause any damage and I still have 2 stone more to lose. So I was looking at around March for a half. Any thoughts?

My thought is that you’re amazing. You inspire me to do more. :)
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,406 Member
    Options
    I came across this article this morning. Basically, the lady has been running for years. She runs 6 miles a day for 6 days a week, weight lifts, and makes a half marathon her longest run while marathon training. She also does strength training. It's an interesting take on a training plan. It worked for her and as the article said would probably work for those that have been running a while, has done many marathons, and put in the right effort for each run.

https://www.runnersworld.com/training/a29033623/run-marathon-with-less-training/?utm_medium=social-media&utm_campaign=socialflowTWRW&utm_source=twitter

Interesting article @RunsOnEspresso. I think one of the key lines though is this from one of the coaches: “It helps that you’ve had miles on your feet before,” Movold says. “You’re conditioned to run. You know what it’s been like mentally more than anything. You know what a three-hour run is going to feel like.”
    As @mobycarp would have said she is keeping herself marathon ready.
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    Wow @Lazy_Bones_85 great, awesome race! You were actually just 2 minutes behind me! I probably saw you at the finish while I was waiting for my niece and nephew to cross. Glad you enjoyed the weather 😆. Congrats on the AG place!
    Give yourself a break today and just veg if you want. You deserve it!
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    Great effort @Lazy_Bones_85. Sounds liked you raced well. Take it easy for a few days, definitely, and that goes for food too. Your body has worked hard and needs to be replenished.