WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2019

Replies

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,190 Member
    edited November 2019
    Barbie - Love the photo! I really miss my line dancing I did on the ship.

My son rang me with timings etc for tomorrow's babysitting. After the decent day of the photos I posted he said they had continuous rain for the rest of their week in Cornwall. Not happy.
    We will turn up at 6.30 tomorrow, which will give us enough time for early dinner beforehand. Might take fruit and cheese with us. It's supposed to be terrible stormy weather tomorrow night, so we will drive over there.

England in Rugby World Cup final in Japan tomorrow. DH will get up early to do exercising before it starts at 9 am. I will join him in exercising and then get the newspaper and milk. All the pubs have laid on breakfast and tv.

DH 's aunt has had her hip repaired. My DSIL is going up to see her in Birmingham on Sunday.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,034 Member
    Vicki: HAPPY 35th 🥂🍾

Enjoy your break away.

• TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,034 Member
    Night! Night! Girls.

Enjoy the rest of your day.

☘️ Terri
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,331 Member
    Kate – I’m sorry about the keyring. I know how you feel. My father had a scapula that he always carried in his wallet. After he passed, I kept it in my wallet. Then my wallet was stolen. To this day, I wish I had that scapula

Warning: rant
    Remember I told you about that lady at the soup kitchen who was always sour and I was killing her with kindness? She’s the one who insists you ONLY do your section. They got new tables so she was complaining “how do you do it”. She was told “you make it work”. I just said, “it’ll all even out in the end”. Well, she was behind so I asked her if she’d like me to help her. She said “yes”. Later she was taking these desserts to all the tables and people at her tables were asking me for things. Since she was busy, I got them. Then she started asking the people at my tables if they needed anything. When someone said they needed another sandwich, I got it. She said “they asked me for it” (remember, this was my table). Well, someone at one of her tables asked me for something and she was no where to be found so I got it. In the meantime she started talking to this person. I brought the sandwich and she gave this real big scowl so I handed her the sandwich to give to the person. Doesn’t feel good when it’s done to you, huh? Oh, before we started serving, she “showed” me where my tables were by dragging me by my sleeve like I was some sort of child.

Regina – just keep coming in here and you’ll get lots of motivation. Baby steps.

Vicki – happy anniversary

Karen VA – so glad for Bailey!

Michele NC
  • exermom
    OK - what did I do wrong? I was trying to get a spoiler, guess I did it wrong. What's the right way?

Michele NC
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,817 Member
    edited November 2019
    exermom wrote: »
    OK - what did I do wrong? I was trying to get a spoiler, guess I did it wrong. What's the right way?

Michele NC

Put it between the opening Spoiler and closing Spoiler.

[.spoiler] < this (without the period) is an opening tag

[/spoiler.] < this (without the period) is a closing tag

Same as with colour ...

[.color=blue] < opening tag (without the period)
    [/color.] < closing tag (without the period)

And bolding ...

[.b] < opening (without the period)
    [/b.] < closing (without the period)

You can do a lot of features with your posts that way. :) It's called BBCode (Bulletin Board Code) and is sort of similar to HTML. https://www.bbcode.org/

These provide references of things you can do:
    https://www.bbcode.org/reference.php
    https://docs.expressionengine.com/latest/general/bbcode.html

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    edited November 2019
    Sleep Paralysis and Exploding Head Syndrome

If you've never heard of these things, the names sound rather scary ... the first is rather scary, the second isn't particularly, once you know what it is.

I have experienced both now and then since I was a child ... usually when I'm stressed.

https://www.verywellhealth.com/what-causes-sleep-paralysis-3014700
    "sleep paralysis is believed to relate to a problem regulating REM sleep. It is during REM that our body is paralyzed so that we are unable to act dreams out. This muscle relaxation, called atonia, may sometimes occur while you are awake. As such, you will be unable to move, even if you are conscious. This is one of the common features of sleep paralysis."

https://www.verywellhealth.com/what-is-exploding-head-syndrome-3014764
    "This parasomnia involves the experience of hearing a loud bang within one's head. The specific noise type may vary, sometimes sounding like a bomb explosion, gunshot, car crash, or even a clash of cymbals; on occasion, some may also experience a bright flash of light associated with the noise. The condition can be greatly upsetting and distressing, especially if it is not initially understood. It may cause confusion and concern about a serious underlying cause. Fortunately, there is no pain or other physical symptoms associated with it."

"It seems to occur more often in women, especially after age 50, but it has been reported in a child as young as 10. Its precise cause is not known. It may be similar to other phenomena such as sleep paralysis that occur in the transitions between states of sleep and consciousness. These overlap states can lead to bizarre sensory experiences.

Exploding head syndrome often occurs in association with extreme fatigue or high levels of stress. The attacks may vary over time, and sometimes abruptly cease for long periods. It may occur once and never again."

October was a very stressful month for me, so it didn't surprise me when I started experiencing "exploding head syndrome" quite regularly again. I get both the flashing light and the BANG!

But then, last night, I had sleep paralysis too. This time, as I was being held down by an invisible being and was fighting in my paralysed, half-awake, half-asleep state to escape, I was able to call out ... "Help me", "Help me" ...

Unfortunately my cries woke my husband who was very, very, very worried about me. Fortunately, he woke me to find out what was wrong and that "broke" the sleep paralysis.

Hopefully November won't be as stressful. I really don't like the sleep paralysis ... it is scary, and I didn't sleep particularly well after that last night.

Have any of you experienced these things?

Machka in Oz
  • exermom
    M -

Here's what I did, I selected "Spoiler" from the drop-down menu next to what looks like a paragraph symbol on the top. I hit that before the part that I wanted to be a spoiler. I did the same and hit "spoiler" at the end of where I wanted the spoiler to end. This is what happened.

What did I do wrong?

Michele NC
  • Machka9
    edited November 2019
    exermom wrote: »
    M -

Here's what I did, I selected "Spoiler" from the drop-down menu next to what looks like a paragraph symbol on the top. I hit that before the part that I wanted to be a spoiler. I did the same and hit "spoiler" at the end of where I wanted the spoiler to end. This is what happened.

What did I do wrong?

Michele NC

Just hit Spoiler once and put the text between the opening and closing tags that appear.

[.spoiler] your text [/spoiler.] (but without the periods, of course)

Machka in Oz
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,904 Member
    :) My resolutions each month include walking lots of steps each day. I carry a pedometer in my pocket and have a step counter on my phone. They are both very motivating and keep me moving because I like "getting credit" for being active. This morning I found out that after walking for 35 minutes with the dogs, that my pedometer battery had died so I lost the count of about 2,000 steps. At line dance class, I realized that even though I was wearing something with tiny pocket for my pedometer, there was no way to carry my phone while dancing so I lost several thousand steps that would normally have been recorded while dancing. Fortunately, Sasha wanted to go on an extra long walk in the afternoon so I ended the day with a good step count. Along with that, I had no plans for the afternoon so I spent several hours riding the exercise bike and watching TV.

:)Vicki, Happy 35th anniversary

:)Viv, Did the changes in the kitchen layout have anything to do with the location of the electrical or plumbing connections?

:)Cari, what a great success story. I am much colder now that I've lost weight and usually wear extra layers in the house along with a wool hat and gloves.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,042 Member
    M I have had both conditions you describe. Both as you said occur as you go into REM sleep. Both as scary. I agree stress is part of it. Creating better sleep habits can be helpful. I admit my sleep habits do need work. I tried to go to be earlier for a while but then I woke up so early in the morning.

Knowing what they are helps me to take it more in stride when it does happen to me.

DH did get good news that his chemo is keeping his cancer in check and one node did reduce in size. The chemo is hard on him. His hair thins and turns white and it is affecting his hearing.

I did help DS get his leaves raked today. I am glad we got it done because it is going to be even colder next week. He got 80-100 trick and treaters in about an hour. He turned his light off when he ran out of candy. Despite the large numbers he did say he enjoyed it.

For me it was the most fun I have had in recent Halloweens. We got about 40 which was just right. We in the past got those huge numbers and it is hard to enjoy it as much. We have also gotten kids that look like they are in high school. We didn't get any of those this year. Favorite costumes were the girl in a dress she worn to the Renaissance Fair, the gorilla, the little girl in the fire suit that was a Dalmatian, and the giant Toucan head.

:heart: Margaret
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,631 Member
    B)
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    😴💤
  • jrsepe12
    jrsepe12 Posts: 34 Member
    Hard to believe it’s November....well day one exercised, tracked all my food, better about drinking my water but 88 calories over my goal. Will try to do better tomorrow.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,190 Member
    Cari - CONGRATULATIONS! :drinker: :D

Good mobility is such a wonderful thing. :)

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx