What's on your mind?

Replies

• GymGoddessGoals
    GymGoddessGoals Posts: 2,146 Member
    I'm always shocked at how cruel people can be.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    I'm always shocked at how cruel people can be.

I only find myself shocked when it's the opposite actually. Cruelty has become the expectation.

Right?

just look at Germany in the 30's & 40's & Japan's lil' Imperial visit to Nanking, China around the same time.

also: Armenia.... Ukraine.... Cambodia & Rwanda (to name a few)
  • GymGoddessGoals
    GymGoddessGoals Posts: 2,146 Member
    It's the first time I stepped into the mall since I went shopping for the kids halloween costumes. It's Christmas everywhere 😮 Everything Halloween is on sale... hope people will like halloween costumes for Christmas 🤷‍♀️🤣

I had never thought about that before. What a novel idea for my niece and nephews.
  • _Miss_chievous_
    _Miss_chievous_ Posts: 2,765 Member
    It's the first time I stepped into the mall since I went shopping for the kids halloween costumes. It's Christmas everywhere 😮 Everything Halloween is on sale... hope people will like halloween costumes for Christmas 🤷‍♀️🤣

I had never thought about that before. What a novel idea for my niece and nephews.

I mean..I probably won't get one for my mom 🤣 but my niece and nephew love to dress up, thinking making something fun out of it for them.
  • cdubks88
    cdubks88 Posts: 3,573 Member

Brilliant. 😁😊
  • ghudson92
    ghudson92 Posts: 2,061 Member
    cdubks88 wrote: »
    Spent quite a bit of time catching up a bit on this thread.

The conversation has been really good and I really appreciate how genuine the responses have been. It's one of the things I love about these forums.

I'm a simpleton and I probably idiot too hard at times for many people here because I'm sure overshare more than a lot of people prefer. I don't share for self-serving purposes and I hope it's never misconstrued as something I'm looking for sympathy/pat-on-the-back for.

It's taken me a long time to have the self-confidence to not only try and believe I've got any worth to someone else, but even more help others discover that about themselves.

I find it incredibly heartwarming when you all share more of your lives with me. I feel honored and it makes me appreciate you all the more that you'd allow yourself to be that vulnerable.

I totally get the perspective of not sharing everything and I agree. I also find to build meaningful relationships I have to be willing to step out and share part of myself and be willing to allow others to misjudge/malign or whatever may come as a result of putting myself out there. I know that's not appealing to some people and it's absolutely your right.

I know for me, it's a chance I'll continue to take to be able to encourage you. I hope you all know I mean that as genuinely as I possibly can.

Seriously, thank you all for being you. It's a privilege to share in this with you. I think you guys are all fantastic. 😊

You are just a dream. So kind and encouraging. Please share as much or as little as you are comfortable with. Lord knows I've overshared on here enough times. You have so much to offer people and I know everyone here appreciates you ♥
  • ghudson92
    ghudson92 Posts: 2,061 Member
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    ghudson92 wrote: »

The conversation has been really good and I really appreciate how genuine the responses have been. It's one of the things I love about these forums.

I'm a simpleton and I probably idiot too hard at times for many people here because I'm sure overshare more than a lot of people prefer. I don't share for self-serving purposes and I hope it's never misconstrued as something I'm looking for sympathy/pat-on-the-back for.

It's taken me a long time to have the self-confidence to not only try and believe I've got any worth to someone else, but even more help others discover that about themselves.

I find it incredibly heartwarming when you all share more of your lives with me. I feel honored and it makes me appreciate you all the more that you'd allow yourself to be that vulnerable.

I totally get the perspective of not sharing everything and I agree. I also find to build meaningful relationships I have to be willing to step out and share part of myself and be willing to allow others to misjudge/malign or whatever may come as a result of putting myself out there. I know that's not appealing to some people and it's absolutely your right.

I know for me, it's a chance I'll continue to take to be able to encourage you. I hope you all know I mean that as genuinely as I possibly can.

Seriously, thank you all for being you. It's a privilege to share in this with you. I think you guys are all fantastic. 😊

You are just a dream. So kind and encouraging. Please share as much or as little as you are comfortable with. Lord knows I've overshared on here enough times. You have so much to offer people and I know everyone here appreciates you ♥

I don't like it!

... not one little bit.

He's making the rest of us look bad.

although, to be fair, we were looking pretty *kitten* before he showed up.

okay... never mind

go ahead, mister positive..... sheesh; rub it in.

To your credit, you make me genuinely lol a lot!
  • isalsayourface123
    isalsayourface123 Posts: 2,153 Member
    Pouches of food
  • cdubks88
    edited November 2019

I don't like it!

... not one little bit.

okay... never mind

I hope you know how much I look forward to all your posts. They brighten my day. And you're better than you give yourself credit for. 😊😎
  • cdubks88

I don't like it!

... not one little bit.

okay... never mind

To your credit, you make me genuinely lol a lot!

Exactly. That's what I look forward to so much. It's fantastic. 😊
  • Reckoner68
    Reckoner68 Posts: 2,139 Member
    Kinda sorta realizing how uninteresting I am and that that probably contributes to why I am so isolated and alone. I can't be like all those curated stories you see on Instagram or the super polished stories on Facebook. That's not the kind of life I have. I don't do interesting things and I keep to myself. Always have, always will.

The more and more I examine it, the more and more social media (not being social, but media that *is* social) bums me out. Most of it is fake or highly curated to omit anything negative. Sure, sure, the filters are fun and there are parts I enjoy (like hanging out and bullshitting here), but a lot of it is just.. well, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Social media bums most people out even if they don't realize it. We have a weird culture now. One I am not so much a fan of. I have friends posting on FB like their lives/relationships/kids are perfect when in reality they are a *kitten* show. And you know what? I love them even with a *kitten* show life. I don't know why they feel the need to pretend. It makes me sad. All the filters make me sad. When will who we REALLY are be good enough?

100%.

Social media has been bumming me out for decades at this point. I barely go on FB now and the only reason I have an account still is because I have family there and they aren't going to use things like Skype or aren't going to text me (different generation). Most of what friends/family post isn't terrible, but it's a lot of dumb memes or *ugh* political stuff and I end up snoozing people for half a year because of it.

Honestly? It's the inability of people to open up and ADMIT that their life isn't all rainbows and sunshine and to be okay with that. Only curating and showcasing the highlights of your life like you're in some sort of *kitten* movie. And what's worse is that I have witnessed the shift. I've been on and around computers enough to witness how the culture went from starting drama and creating a *kitten* show of "unfortunate events" to this wholesome, Country Homes and Gardens type magazine front. And it's all just that: a facade. They aren't fooling anyone except themselves, but they feel they can't be anything else. To be otherwise is to incur judgment and spite from your peers.

It's just.. yeesh. On the one hand, there are a lot of cool things about living in society today. On the other? There are so many negatives that I kinda just want to pack up and go be a hermit in the woods until I die.

Absolutely. It is so weird because on one hand you have people saying "It's okay to not be okay" and encouraging mental health and all that YET you have people trying to hide from reality and putting on these masks.
    I don't go on FB much anymore because of it. I use it primarily to find out about events that I will likely never attend 🤣 But IG is the same way. How many people post the ugly stuff? Not many. The people who do are usually the type who find it impossible to find positive so they just get eye rolls anyway. I just wish people were more real. The fake ones make the real people feel incompetent or unworthy and that's so screwed up.

The fake ones are easy to spot from a mile away. One of my biggest pet peeves is when ladies have an Instagram account with almost exclusively selfie poses in yoga pants. It reeks of self-importance & is a total eye-roller On the other hand, airing the negatives of your life serves no positive purpose on social media. But you can still be authentic without being negative.

I disagree. Especially for younger people.... Not too long ago a very well known celebrity came out that she struggles with depression and it made a huge impact on young girls. Some people need to know they are not alone. Everyone needs to see that just because you are rich, famous and have a good relationship doesn't mean you don't have your own internal struggles.
    The whole issue with social media is it makes people feel like they are the one with a problem. If everyone they know only posts the positive stuff and vacation photos they think that those lives are perfect.
    I don't post a lot of negative crap on FB, but I don't post much to begin with. I am not talking about people posting "woe is me" but it IS okay to not be okay every minute of every day. People who are doing it just to show life isn't a fairytale, not the people who do it for a pity party.
    Anyway, just my opinion

I stand corrected. I guess you can air some of the minuses without throwing the 'wow is me' pity party but just to be authentic.

I don't know. I think personal stuff shouldnt be shared. Theres just some things that should stay private. Is it wrong to walk around smiling and laughing and sharing things about my kids that I love or appreciate? Do I really need to announce my recent break up...is it ok to post things that bring a smile to my face?
    Not sure if this makes sense.

Sometimes if you accidentally post personal stuff you can go back and turn it into potatoes
  • Motorsheen

I don't like it!

... not one little bit.

okay... never mind

I hope you know how much I look forward to all your posts. They brighten my day. And you're better than you give yourself credit for. 😊😎

there you go again....

post reported.
  • CaliValleyGirl
    CaliValleyGirl Posts: 744 Member
    Back on the bike today after a hiatus. I can't believe how out of shape I feel from being on hiatus just a very short amount of time. I went from doing FIIT with ease to getting out of breath on a standard bike ride.

Lesson learned.
  • CaliValleyGirl
    CaliValleyGirl Posts: 744 Member
    If you do need glasses, I recommend zenni. Those glasses are a 3rd of the cost of what I paid at a big name eyeglass shop with all the bells and whistles. They also held up better, and the lenses were far more durable. Just be weary of the framless glasses. My own fault those cracked, I tightened them too much.
  • Motorsheen
    If you do need glasses, I recommend zenni. Those glasses are a 3rd of the cost of what I paid at a big name eyeglass shop with all the bells and whistles. They also held up better, and the lenses were far more durable. Just be weary of the framless glasses. My own fault those cracked, I tightened them too much.

Zenni now has 'glow in the dark' frames..... and yes, I already have a pair in my cart.