November 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    @Teresa502 that sounds like a fantastic venue for a race! Bears, scenery, and history! Congrats on the PR! I didn't know they closed the loop to traffic just for runner either. THAT would be an awesome way to see it!

I had to look that race up because it's something I would be interested in running sometime. I was browsing the results of the 10 mile and saw that someone was disqualified. I wonder what they had done? Their times shows 1:24:XX, but a big DQ and listed at the bottom of the results.
  • Camaramandy648
    Camaramandy648 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    Gahhh I tried to post this from my phone this morning but it was before coffee so OF COURSE it didn't post....

Can we talk safety gear for running?

I'm female and run alone, both at night and on trails. I'm getting some feedback from loved ones that I need to stop being an idiot and find some measures of protection should anything unfortunate arise - attackers, wildlife, predators, getting hit by a car, falling....... (naturally, I fell asleep last night thinking about getting mauled by a mountain lion)....

I've seen the run angel wristlet, but what about like if I need to actually DEFEND myself? Thoughts? Ideas? What do you all use?

I hesitate to answer since, as a large male, I don't have the same concerns that you have but I will anyway.

Live tracking apps are useful but they won't be of any help if you get attacked. They may help in finding you after the fact.

Taking photos of suspicious cars and people is a good idea but they only help find the perpetrator after the fact.

As @RunsOnEspresso talked about, your best defense is situational awareness and trusting your gut instinct. Make it a point to notice every single person and every car around you. Don't just look where you're running, keep looking around you. What looks suspicious and what doesn't? If something doesn't feel right, don't think you're being paranoid, act on it and avoid it the situation. Turn around, duck into a store or restaurant, cross the street, whatever you need to do to make yourself feel more comfortable about the situation.

There's a book I recommend, not just for running, but for everyday safety called "The Gift of Fear" by Gavin De Becker about this very subject. I think it was @ddmom0811 who bought this on my recommendation. Maybe she'll chime in with her thoughts on the book.

Your local police department may have a class for personal safety, and if it's geared towards women, even better. If they don't have one, they may be able to tell you were you can find one.

This is all great insight!

I need to read that book - I'll add it to my list on scribd. I am reading Born to Run right now and I AM LOVING IT. I am not opposed to carrying a handgun. The idea is to not need it. Or maybe a knife. And also awareness - yes. so much that.
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    @Teresa502 running in the Great Smoky Mountain National Park sounds like an awesome place for a race! I'll bet it was beautiful. Way to go on getting your course PR!
  • TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,531 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the PR @Teresa502 - sounds like a great race.

If I am attempting 15k next weekend should I consider taking some form of fuel with me?
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 another awesome race, another awesome race report. Keep up the good work!
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    @Teresa502 that sounds like a fantastic venue for a race! Bears, scenery, and history! Congrats on the PR! I didn't know they closed the loop to traffic just for runner either. THAT would be an awesome way to see it!

I had to look that race up because it's something I would be interested in running sometime. I was browsing the results of the 10 mile and saw that someone was disqualified. I wonder what they had done? Their times shows 1:24:XX, but a big DQ and listed at the bottom of the results.

That is interesting. Cheated somehow perhaps?
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    JMNagain wrote: »
    @7lenny7 amazing race, you're a machine. Although my boyfriend was reading over my shoulder and is now sniggering at your description of lubing your crotch... gross!

Thanks, @JMNagain ! Unfortunately it's a necessary evil for long runs. Chafing can be QUITE painful.

Pro tip: Never shake hands with an ultra runner.

Tell your boyfriend to try running the distances @7lenny7 has been without lube, and I promise he will change his tune. You only make THAT mistake once. Trust me :)

• PastorVincent
    Options
    Congrats on the PR @Teresa502 - sounds like a great race.

If I am attempting 15k next weekend should I consider taking some form of fuel with me?

Race like you train. Do you take fuel on training runs around that distance? If not, then do not in race. If you do, then do the same at the race.
  • PastorVincent
    edited November 2019
    Options
    @7lenny7 another awesome race, another awesome race report. Keep up the good work!

This! :smiley:
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Great job @Teresa502!
  • durhammfp
    durhammfp Posts: 493 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    ...but no sign of water bottle :(

I hate that! There isn't a lost-and-found nearby is there? I lost my driver's license on a run the other day and it was returned to the nearby university library...and they got it back to me.

Someone knows where it is, I hope