WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2019

Options

Replies

• GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,638 Member
    Options
    Hi Gals,

Barbie – I think our moms are sisters!

Communication with parents – while in college every week I wrote one letter, made 2 carbon copies (remember carbon paper?) and then rotated the original went to Mom & Dad one week, to Dad’s parents the next week, to Mom’s parents the 3rd week, and back around. (my dad died while I was in college – so for most of my sophomore year I drove 4 hours home ever other weekend) Often the copy to the parents got an extra note. For a while after college I lived in the same area as my mom and called/saw her regularly. Now the grands have all passed, and I speak to my mom every 3-4 days and see her every 4-6 weeks.

Janet- ((((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))

Kim from N. California
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,943 Member
    Options
    Janetr, so sorry about your sister. 74 is still quite young.

Barbie, you are one of the kindest, wisest, most disciplined persons I know. I’m sorry your mother couldn’t see that.

((((((Rebecca))))). My son has periods of ignoring us followed by times when he is quite sweet and attentive. I’ve learned to let go, but it is hard.

• Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Janet - sorry for your loss.
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    :)
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    janetr7476 wrote: »
    You may recall me telling you about my older sister (74) that lived in Seattle and broke her ankle last May and was in rehab and got sepsis and blood clots etc she passed earlier this evening. My heart is hurting but I know she's no longer in pain and is with the Lord.

Janetr OKC

I'm so sorry, Janet.

Flea
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,951 Member
    Options
    You may recall me telling you about my older sister (74) that lived in Seattle and broke her ankle last May and was in rehab and got sepsis and blood clots etc she passed earlier this evening. My heart is hurting but I know she's no longer in pain and is with the Lord.

Janetr OKC

{{{Hug}}}
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,270 Member
    Options
    Welcome Julie and Stacey!
    Whereabouts are you in Scotland? I am down south in Brighton and Hove. We moved here a year ago and we are loving it. I have a good friend who has lived near Glasgow for 50 years. I visit her most years.

So sorry Janetr for your sister's passing. I know she hasn't been well for some years, but 74 is young. <3

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • julieclarksfitnesspal
    Options
    Hi Stacey - I am new too but seem like a lovely group.

Janet I am so so sorry about your sister. What a sad loss.

CityJaneLondon, I am a Glaswegian born and bred. My son-in-law to be is from Bexhill - I think that may be relatively local to you.

Have a great day everyone I am feeling strong.
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone my weight is a bit up and down, I really need to plan meals especially for the rest of this week with no kitchen - I have been snacking too much.

Karen many congratulations on the birth of Lilliana Belle, what a pretty name.

Heather the cupcakes looked delicious what fun for the grandkids.

Kelly Joaquin and Miguel are so cute, ahh brotherly love :)

Janet so sorry for your loss <3

Welcome to Julie and Stacey, as you can see we are a busy chatty group. We talk about everything and anything, but keep away from anything controversial.

Have a great day ladies.
    Love to all

Viv UK
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Morning, afternoon and evening, all,

JanetR - I'm so sorry about the loss of your sister. As others have said, from here, 74 seems much too soon to go, but I'm glad her pain and suffering is done.

Julie, Stacey, welcome!

Machka - hope the meds help, that looks awfully angry.

Up far too early this morning, but it does seem to be a pattern - I may well go back to bed after Corey heads for work. He'll be up in an hour and gone by 5:15. Sounding better by the minute.

Still haven't gotten my eating under control, but I feel I get closer every day. *sigh* Every day is a new day.

Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR
  • SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options

Janetr OKC

I am so sorry for your loss Janet.
  • ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Sorry for the passing of your sister Janetr.

Communicating with family-I used to call my mom about once a month when I lived in Maine and she was in Ohio. Checked in with siblings with much less regularity, but that was before cell phones. My siblings and I have irregular communication (two of them live in other states). I think part of that may be i am youngest and due to mom being widowed when I was 6 months old, I lived with my grandmother until she died when I was 9 (mom visited frequently) so mom could work and take care of us, so our bond was a bit different. My sons will text with some regularity but not always as often as I would like. I try not to pressure them because they are busy with their lives but when something big comes up I know they contact me or I contact them.

Turned 65 this am. When I started back on MFP in March I thought it would be nice to be at 140 by my birthday. Happy to say I was around 138 so I met my goal and am hanging out in my maintenance range (doctor and I decided 135-140 would be good). Strange feeling in better shape now than 30 years ago! Goes to prove it is never too late.

Off to do pt stretches before work. Go to physical therapy this afternoon so for sure will get two sessions in today. I think I am slowly seeing some progress after the first week being a little rocky.

Enjoy the day all,

Ginny in Ohio
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    janetr ((( <3 ))) so sorry for the loss of your sister.

Kelly had to go back and find that pic of Joaquin and Mighty MiG, gorgeous boys both.

Will have an easier morning and a busy afternoon, I’ll take it, most days are pretty packed so I’m happy for the time to clear out some things and get better organized.

NYKAREN
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    Ginny - happy 65th!

Lisa in AR
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Janet - Hugs and prayers for you and your family.

Okie in the TX Hill Country
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday Ginny!

Okie
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,270 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    KJ - bet you can't wait to see those gorgeous boys again. :D

Michele - The recipe was my favourite chocolate fudge cake and I divided it in two and gave them each a work station. The hardest bit was getting the mixture into the cake papers! :o
    We then made butter icing, while Edie covered the kitchen in clouds of icing sugar, and divided it into six and they each had a chocolate one, a neutral one and a colour of their choice. They both chose green. I had a lot of decorations and different sprinkles already, but I had bought the penguins and some 'gaming' toppers. It was all a great success, but my blood pressure was tested! :o You realise how techniques you take for granted, like getting the icing on the cake, is a learned technique, and not all that easy. Plus monitoring the sprinkles, glitter etc. :o:# They were very pleased with their efforts though. Edie said they were the best ones she had ever made. :D
    DH and I did not eat one! We carefully transported them on the bus to their house.

Not surprisingly, I am knackered this morning. I'm always surprised by how much it takes out of me. I really admire KJ and Karen and others who take on child care. I know I am a bit older than them, but I never found it easy. DH had a long session of PickASticks in the afternoon as well. I bowed out of that!

I felt a bit sorry for the au pair when we left at 4.30. New house, new kids, new food, new oven. I told her to put the tv on if they played up. :*:| I did put the oven on and showed her the food in the freezer and got the baking trays ready.

Tonight is dancing and we will eat nearby at our favourite Persian restaurant. Healthy kebab and salad.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    ginnytez wrote: »
    Turned 65 this am. When I started back on MFP in March I thought it would be nice to be at 140 by my birthday. Happy to say I was around 138 so I met my goal and am hanging out in my maintenance range (doctor and I decided 135-140 would be good). Strange feeling in better shape now than 30 years ago! Goes to prove it is never too late.

Off to do pt stretches before work. Go to physical therapy this afternoon so for sure will get two sessions in today. I think I am slowly seeing some progress after the first week being a little rocky.

Enjoy the day all,

Ginny in Ohio

Happiest of birthdays to you Ginny! And, yes, I agree, it's never too late.