WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2019

Options

Replies

• JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Michele NC- When I worked for a big hardware company that was our main issue military families were meant to get the discounts only! We had to try to weed out non-Veterans with IDs from the VA to Security jobs which is hard to do since retired veterans work there too.Coastguard is military .

Amber Tx
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    😴💤
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    Rebecca - I didn't think that military ID's expired. You know, Denise's husband gets a military. He isn't in the military and never has been. But it has something to do with the Coast Guard and the fact that he works on a tug boat. To me, those discounts should only be for the people (and their families) who are serving or have served in the military. But that's just me.

Vince is at shooting right now.

Michele in NC
    who is still coughing

My middle son did his respective 4 years, and then was put in reserve status for a couple years. When a sailor retires you are it in reserve status as well. It was a sad day when my husband finally passed that mark, and was truly out f the Navy. He was so bummed!
    💖Rebecca
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,127 Member
    Options
    Poerava14 wrote: »
    Stressing this week. DH's dementia and hearing challenges are causing him more confusion and anxiety than usual. Today, he kept insisting that I drive us home. No matter what I said or showed him, he would not accept that we were already in our home. So, I put the cat in his carrier, and the 3 of us got into the car. I ran the errands I had planned to do, then told him, "Next stop we will be home." He came into the condo and was fine again. Have I mentioned lately how much I HATE DEMENTIA?

Tomorrow I have an appointment with a social worker at the VA. It's the time and place for me to discuss the challenges I'm having with DH, and see what is available from the VA by way of therapy, respite, day care and possibly long term memory care. Later this month we are scheduled to get his hearing checked again and explore if somehow the ear canal growths he has can be removed. Going to be an interesting month.

Rori
    Colorado Foothills

That is how my grandfather was in his last few years. Unfortunately my grandfather started wandering, looking for his home, and forgot my grandmother half the time. He didn't marry her until he was 40, so he was remembering life before her. Soon after that my grandmother decided it was time to move him to a permanent care facility where there would be someone to keep an eye on him all the time.

What you did is probably a good way to handle it ... to kind of reset the brain. You might also try finding out "where" on his timeline he is. One of the positive things was that my grandfather was able to tell us quite a bit about his early days.

I'm glad you are looking into help.

{{Hugs}}

Machka in Oz
  • Maritill
    Maritill Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    Today was not a productive day as I sat until 3 p.m. waiting for a return phone call about my elbow. Have had pain for about 4 weeks now. I put all my weight on it to scoot back from the edge of the mattress one night. The bones are fine. I think it's the muscles or tendons. Frustrating for sure.
    I have been good about writing down my food but keep going over by 100 calories.
    Got to go as I have another nosebleed-3rd one in 2 days.
    Have a great day Wed.
    Marianne-WV
  • cmsavells
    cmsavells Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I’m pretty sure I was whining about relentless heat just 6 weeks ago, so I’m going to try not to complain about the cold. But dang, parts of KY may have single digits in the morning!! This is crazy for November. We set a record for the lowest day time high temperature in November.

My sinus infection finally seems to be dissipating. Greatly relieved for that.

Still trying to find motivation. I know it’s my family situation causing my ho-hum attitude.

Connie in KY
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,331 Member
    Options
    Rori - I can't tell you how glad I am that you are looking into some kind of help and care. Love you. <3<3<3

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    rori I’m sending big healing hugs to you. One step at a time. Accept all the help and love being sent your way.
    (((( <3<3 ))))

NYKAREN
  • Machka9
    edited November 2019
    Options
    This isn't likely achievable for me with the plans I've got for 2020, but ... it may be for some of you and might give me some ideas of what to work on when I've got a second or two. :)

cam7kf5p6dhd.png
    https://www.home-storage-solutions-101.com/organized-home.html

Machka in Oz
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    Rori - so glad for you that you have family coming, and even more so that you're reaching out to the VA for the next step for your husband. I know how hard it is to get their system moving, and that it will not be immediate, but I'm hoping help is on the way for you, and for him.

Love y'all,
    Later,
    Lisa
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,787 Member
    Options
    Machka~love that...
    Rori~I soooo feel your pain with almost 10+ years with doing alot for my DFIL , like I said... check with the VA.. also Connecticut has something called connecticut community care for the elderly... we did an intake which was a couple of hours, they needed by DFIL financials , but got him sooooo much help for a fraction of cost.. for him it was $108.00 a month.. he had adult day care for 4 days a week with a hot meal and crafts , and they would even put him in the shower... had a companion 4 hrs a day on the weekends, had meals on wheels( which he didnt like) and a life alert which he hung on his walker lol... what finally got him into full time care at a nursing home was pneumonia . and my brother in law and sister in law did not care for him well..
    It is doable and check and see if Denver has that.. could help alot.. will be praying for you...
    today is hair color day and shopping..
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,675 Member
    Options
    [[[[[[[
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,514 Member
    Options
    Lisa “the alphabet soup gang” LOL!
    Allie OWW!
    Rebecca ((hugs)) to you and your Montana sister both.
    Heather pomegranate molasses sounds interesting, next time I'm putting together a WalMart order...
    Rori praying tomorrow's appointment offers options, clarity and peace.
    Marianne hope the elbow expert can get you some relief soon!
    Machka I shudder at the thought of a weekly home organization challenge email. ;)

Hit all yesterday's “to do”s but detailing the car. Today will go to BB&B, but miss dog group as must puppysit (and vacuum ugh!) while Joe goes to the DDS, start detailing the car, prep more veggies, walk Tumble and abstain from alcohol.

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    Word for 2019: "GOOD" good attitude, good food, good times, good choices, good enough, feel good, GOOD! Word for November: get up and do it EVERY day!
    Steps=6865 vits=10.5 log=12 CI<CO=10, CI<250<CO=5 Tumble=9 mfp=11 AF=8
  • Machka9
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Machka I shudder at the thought of a weekly home organization challenge email. ;)

I have to say, I did look at the first one: "Kitchen counters and sink" and thought ... but they might as well just keep repeating that one every other week!! That's a regular one.

On the website, you click on the links and get more details so maybe there's something particular about kitchen counters and sink to clean???

And there are some that don't apply like the coupons one. Coupons aren't really much of a thing here. I can't remember the last time I used a coupon. So maybe I'd repeat kitchen counters and sink that week. :grin:

However, it might remind me of something I should consider doing ... :)

M in Oz
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,331 Member
    Options
    Only just got the instructions from my son about how to pick up the two older grandchildren from their school. We haven't done it this academic year yet and we didn't even remember the names of their classes. They are Peru and Mexico. :D He has sent me a map of where the classes are. Bit last minute as we are setting off in a couple of hours.
    This evening we have our French Circle, so we are going to snatch a quick snack at my son's and go straight there. Not ideal nutrition wise, but needs must.
    We will be seeing the au pair again who is picking up Bea.

Much love, Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Rori You're such a good role model for how to navigate through difficult terrain with a loved one who has dementia. I have nothing but admiration for you, and will remember all of this should I be faced with making similar decisions someday. And your approach to Thanksgiving...is nothing short of inspiring. Thanks for posting today, it brought tears.

(((Hugs)))

Karen in Virginia
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,776 Member
    Options
    Rori ... hugs

Machka ... Faithfully, I start that decluttering mission every year ... I have the cleanest kitchen drawers! :D Never seem to get past the first month or so ... Maybe this year I should start from the bottom?

Rebecca ... I have so many memories of eating my lunch while watching Mr. Rodgers. I'm glad you put in a welfare check for your son ... praying you'll receive the peace of mind that you need.

Holidays ... I love them! I'm not social, but I love the things that make the holidays meaningful.

Snow ... took me a while to get the snow blower running. I stood out in the frigid cold working on the dang thing like I was a mechanical boss! Had no idea what I was doing, but eventually it started. It's 13 degrees this morning and the skies are blue and the snow is sparkling. Incredibly beautiful.

Today we're having our annual work Christmas photo taken ... the church sends out a clever Christmas card from the staff and they include me in that. We are all to dress festively and bring our favorite mug as we will be having our "Mug Shots" taken. :p

Scale is stuck. I'm trying to restrict sugar (not having success there). Still maintaining IF lifestyle. Exercise is waning. Step challenge is not being met. Time to get cracking.

Beth near Buffalo
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,085 Member
    Options
    Rori triple hug. I agree with Allie too. Looking into what is available in the community may also be worth while. Dealing with the VA takes time and you need the help and respite now.

Your husband is lucky to have you as his advocate. I know how wearing all of this can be. I deal with it in a different way with our DS. We have to deal with many legal, medical, and financial systems to manage his illness. Every layer comes with different benefits and complications. I now find myself laughing at how ridiculous some of the complications. I remind myself to step back and try not to get frustrated. It helps find the right person or program to help me. That is half the battle.

I have said it before and will say it again. Anyone who is being a caregiver or advocate for someone with severe chronic illness do whatever you can do to give yourself a break and take care of you.

:heart: Margaret

• TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,328 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Amber: That’s quite a job you have keeping up with JR and his growth spurts (((hugs)
    Tracey/Kim: I know how it feels to not have enough. My mother had to scrimp to keep us fed and clothed, and it made me very careful with money during the early years of marriage. It stuck with me even in better times, when My career improved. Life is easier now, but one never knows what the future holds.
    Rori: It’s a cruel disease for both sufferers and caters. We have had several family members and a number of friends taken by dementia/Alzheimer’s in the last few years. (((Hugs))) Glad you are looking ahead at options. In the meantime, enjoy your upcoming family celebration.
    Machka: I have used HSS 101 for years. The 52 week challenge was what got me started on daily de cluttering practices.
    Barbara: I cherry-picked the tasks. Many weren’t relevant, but there were many little hints which helped streamline things. I might add that I still need the detailed help in one or two areas of my home organisation.
    Heather:Best wishes on your expedition to Peru and Mexico this afternoon. 😂 😂 😂

We did our weekly grocery shopping this morning, so lots of lovely fresh produce in the larder. Was going to go for a walk but the skies are clouding over so may have to walk indoors instead.

☘️ Terri