What was the last meal you cooked?

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,553 Member
    I already messed up my first attempt at dessert. I tried cooking the Cambodian pumpkin custard in the microwave which used to work in my old machine but the new one is more powerful even on the lowest setting. It overheated and curdled. Also the butternut squash hubby bought was not big enough to serve four. I had the failed custard for lunch. Now have a second one steaming the conventional way.
    p3mfudvzy7hb.jpeg
  • acpgee
    Dinner party tonight started with chicken satay served Malaysian style with cold skewers of compressed rice, cucumber, red onion for dipping in warmed up commercial satay sauces. Hubby likes a mellow one with lots of peanut and coconut. I like a funky one that contains dried shrimp paste. Main was roll your own Vietnamese hand rolls. Produce was a soft lettuce, mint, thai basil and coriander. Protein was grilled turkey breast, grilled steak, and poached prawns. Main filler for the summer rolls was a mix of grated carrot and bean vermicelli. We used th leftover satay sauces for dipping and added classic nuoc cham. Dessert was my second attempt of Cambodian pumpkin custard, this time cooked the conventional way steamed instead of the microwave.
    n02a6fp4ztz8.jpeg
    2f5ml6e85x5z.jpeg
    b9b1zecrijte.jpeg

• aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    I brought Stella Parks' impossible pecan pie for Thanksgiving. Poor choice in terms of things not to do when baking for a bunch of people that you don't know (I was at my friend's aunt's house) but it worked out well.

kk2vhqctipz9.jpg
    The other pie is a bruleed pumpkin pie a chocolate crust (coco powder was added to the crust - it wasn't any sweeter than any other crust would be).

86n6mmhtqm4w.jpg
    This afternoon I made baked salmon with fennel and a pistachio pan sauce. The recipe is from the NYTimes. Essentially you preheat a pan in a very hot oven, add a tbsp of butter and thinly sliced fennel and let it bake for 10 min. After said 10 min you put the salmon skin down on top of the fennel, turn the oven down to 255, and let it cook for 15 min.
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Thick sliced bacon. Potato pancakes (made from leftover garlic mashers) cooked in the bacon fat. A couple of eggs sunny side up. Happy belly now.
  • seedrah6
    seedrah6 Posts: 55 Member
    A very simple protein meal that’s still healthy. I never like those strange complicated recipes that websites do. Eating healthy should be foods you already enjoy

Peri peri prawns with sweet corn + plum tomato, baby gem lettuce, and avocado with lemon and garlic powder

11fybdrcofeo.jpeg

• aokoye
    My suspected UTI and the lack of energy that is coming with it means that tonight I'm roasting chicken thighs seasoned with adobo powder. I was going to make a simple ramen but I'll leave that for tomorrow.
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Last evening with leftovers tonight - slowcooker beef stew. Overloaded with carrots, light on the potatoes. No pic - y'all know a beef stew when you see one, LOL. Perfect for the stormy ushering-in-winter-season storm coming through the USA Northeast yesterday/today.
  • juniper148
    juniper148 Posts: 2 Member
    Sweet potato apple waffles drizzled with pure maple syrup.
  • shunggie
    shunggie Posts: 1,036 Member
    @juniper148 I just saw a recipe for sweet potato waffles and was thinking of making them this weekend. The one I saw didn't have an apple. I'm curious did you shred it?
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    I made turkey and dumpling soup out of my leftover turkey carcass and I was not a fan lol. I'm making a roast tonight. Tonight I'm planning to serve it with mashed potatoes, and then tomorrow I'm planning to make sandwiches out of it on ciabatta rolls and provolone cheese :p
  • weatherking2019
    weatherking2019 Posts: 943 Member
    edited December 2019
    9nk1bcugko48.jpg
    Roasted Turkey legs. Then a side of Quinoa salad with Kale and roasted butternut squash with toasted pine nuts.
  • aokoye
    Homemade miso ramen with one of the chicken thighs from Monday, homemade chicken broth that I had frozen, chicken fat that I saved from roasting the chicken thighs (bone in skin on), and I made a miso tare. The noodles were frozen Sun medium sized ramen noodles. The other toppings were scallions, nori, menma, and spicy chili crisp.

No pictures because I was too hungry to think about it, thus you got the very detailed description.
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    Marinated chicken, vermicelli and roasted cauliflower & cabbage.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Last night I baked a spaghetti squash with homemade Sun Sugar sun-dried tomatoes, Kalamata olives, artichokes, herbs and garlic sauteed in olive oil and topped it with feta cheese. So delicious.
  • hmhill17
    hmhill17 Posts: 283 Member
    Italian wedding soup
  • mjbnj0001
    Tonight (Thursday 5th): this Stroganoff-ish Slowcooker Creamy Chicken with egg noodles, garnished with broccoli.

Due to time constraints, gave in to the "toss in" crockpot method and used a canned soup as the basis. Don't often do this, as many canned soups give my wife problems (usually MSG), and the rest I usually find more or less unpalatable. Tonight, I tried out "Health Valley Organic Cream of Chicken" soup; it was OK. The meal recipe called for a condensed soup (the usual suspect, I guess, LOL). and I had to fuss with liquid measurements to adjust, thus wound up tossing in many of the uncooked egg noodles to finish in the crock and soak up some of the excess moisture to thicken the result.

MFP recipe builder thinks this bowl (excluding the steamed broccoli garnish) is about 359cal, 35g protein, 11g fat, 28g carb, 3g fiber and 6g sugars. Lowered the fat and cal counts by using a Neufchatel-based cream cheese for the extra creaminess, rather than a regular cream cheese.

I made up 12 servings of this in the crock (excepting the broccoli). Looking forward to getting a new oven delivered tomorrow and needed an on-hand prepped meal as a contingency.

bdbkk8ix3mzc.jpg
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 wrote: »
    Tonight (Thursday 5th): this Stroganoff-ish Slowcooker Creamy Chicken with egg noodles, garnished with broccoli.

... "Health Valley Organic Cream of Chicken" soup ...

lost in the initial posting: the Health Valley soup is "ready-to-eat," not condensed.
  • mjbnj0001
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    Cauliflower scrap soup with carrot ribbons and haddock fillet.

"scrap" LOL ... "waste not, want not" is something I like to follow in my kitchen.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Pan sautéed Brussel Sprouts, garlic, vegan bacon lardons with a splash of white wine, honey & a large dollop of Dijon.

Served with a grain that was new to me - pearled spelt.
  • acpgee
    Salad with grapes, candied walnuts, St Agur, ranch.
    cu2q2jdutwai.jpeg