Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

What was the last meal you cooked?

Replies

• mjbnj0001mjbnj0001 Posts: 766Member Member Posts: 766Member Member
    (Thursday evening dinner): roasted split chicken breast, roasted asparagus, rice medley, side salad. MFP says about 686cal, 71g protein, 20g fat, 57g carb (10g fiber). Approximate: I didn't weigh the leftover chicken bones to net out the actual chicken meat, just estimated from the total package weight on two split halves (I think there's about 7oz meat on this plate).

zgpschmeojtx.jpg
  • just_Tomekjust_Tomek Posts: 8,505Member Member Posts: 8,505Member Member
    Herbed cod loin, baked french fries and sauerkraut salad.
  • snowflake954snowflake954 Posts: 4,644Member Member Posts: 4,644Member Member
    Pasta and Funghi---Pasta with mushrooms, white no tomato sauce.
  • LyndaBSSLyndaBSS Posts: 6,970Member, Premium Member Posts: 6,970Member, Premium Member
    NY strip steak with a side of baby potatoes and carrots. Melt in your mouth goodness!
  • acpgeeacpgee Posts: 4,722Member Member Posts: 4,722Member Member
    I didn't cook tonight but am planning to tomorrow. We get our first delivery of Xmas season goose parts tomorrow. This is the only time of year you can actually buy goose in the UK. Will finish a confit goose leg to serve with roast celeriac and some pureed roast squash I've got in the freezer. Will do a starter of grilled romaine salad. Will probably make some goose breast prosciutto tomorrow as well. It's a great thing to have in the fridge to feed halal/kosher eating guests recipes that normally call for bacon or other charcuterie.
  • epangiliepangili Posts: 705Member Member Posts: 705Member Member
    mjbnj0001 wrote: »
    Not really a meal, but a couple of components. My personal contribution to my wife's department's potluck holiday dinner this evening: two loaves of home-baked bread, just out of the oven and cooling. (L) caraway seed rye, (R) sesame seed artisanal white.

itqw6p9oeb0w.jpg

I miss real carbs...
  • mjbnj0001mjbnj0001 Posts: 766Member Member Posts: 766Member Member
    epangili wrote: »
    mjbnj0001 wrote: »
    Not really a meal, but a couple of components ...

I miss real carbs...

Oh, I hear ya.

When I started going to a nutritionist, he asked what foods i would find hard to part with. I said bread and cheese. So, if I'm going to include them, I budget them, and make sure I am getting a better food quality of them. I try to bake most of my own bread-type products.

1. these two loaves are for a dinner party.
    2. my homemade bread starts with a real food base of only four ingredients: flour, water, yeast and a bit of salt. no commercial-bread dough conditioners, preservatives, sweeteners, and what-have -you.
    3. these loaves are more "satisfying" per slice than commercial breads, so we actually eat less of it per day than other bread, and we incorporate it into our lower-cal, moderate-glycemic, lower-salt lifestyle. i don't have the other computer with me with the GI/GL spreadsheet I worked up for glycemic computations, but these loaves are a bit lower glycemic index and lower glycemic load than my comparative benchmark commercial breads.
    4. MFP recipe builder on the rye loaf approximates, per slice: 72cal, 1g fat, 13g carb, 2g protein. For the white: 77cal, 16g carb, 3g protein. "Approximate" since these are manually sliced. Based on an average of 3 loaves portion yield.
    5. the "white" bread, by the way, uses unbleached white bread flour. i use one of the "no knead" methods discussed at length on the internet/youtube. about 3hrs from start to out-of-the-oven with no mechanical tools/etc. and about 10 min of real, but easy, effort during that time.

i have tinkered around the recipe to get lower carb/higher protein bread using more varied ingredients (whey powder, for instance, as well as whole wheat and other grains' flours). i typically keep to my daily budget on carbs, and especially avoid simple processed carbs.

good luck on your path.

Today's lunch was mushroom and zucchini risotto for the family.
  • petitchatnoir41petitchatnoir41 Posts: 56Member Member Posts: 56Member Member
    Fish burgers and tater tots. . . .
    I'm glad I decided to order a whole goose for Christmas instead of serving confit goose leg. Tasted nice tonight but looked a mess. With grilled romaine, roast celeriac, squash pureed with miso, port sauce.
    vkxk3uew2bxd.jpeg

• LyndaBSSLyndaBSS Posts: 6,970Member, Premium Member Posts: 6,970Member, Premium Member
    Campanelle pasta with shrimp and broccoli in a garlic butter basil pesto sauce. Delicious!
    Bow tie pasta with tuna and green olives for lunch--6 people, 1baby, 1 toddler.
    Pan fried red snapper fillets with salsa verde. Oven fries from the air fryer. Sauteed sugar snaps and broccoli, both with garlic.
    vdauqzquttcu.jpeg
  • AriesFLAriesFL Posts: 812Member Member Posts: 812Member Member
  • aokoyeaokoye Posts: 3,497Member Member Posts: 3,497Member Member
    isuj9fpiwqa9.jpg

Dal using this recipe. There were a number of days this past week that I had zero desire to cook because there's just been a lot going on (some very good and all very stressful). That said, tasty food, and legumes are my favorite way to make use of my instant pot.
  • just_Tomekjust_Tomek Posts: 8,505Member Member Posts: 8,505Member Member
    Roasted honey mustard pork tenderloin, baked fries and bok choy salad.
    Baccala' (salted dried cod, soaked in cold water for 3 days), cherry tomatoes and potatoes.
  • aokoyeaokoye Posts: 3,497Member Member Posts: 3,497Member Member
    Hash browns. Had two old russet potatoes that needed to be eaten and thus.
  • alteredsteve175alteredsteve175 Posts: 1,829Member Member Posts: 1,829Member Member
    Seasoned oven fries. Sirloin beef patties with slices of pepper jack cheese and red onion on a small hamburger bun. Satisfies my craving for a fast food burger and fries with less calories.