December 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Replies

• eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,655 Member
    LoveyChar wrote: »

Question: If I don't tell my husband and daughter that my aunts in the UK sent us cash in their xmas cards and I spend it all on race entry fees, does that make me a bad person?

If they sent it to "you as a group of people to share" - then yes. :p

If they sent it to "specifically you to do with as you want" - then no.

What if nobody said anything about who they were sending it to? I mean the xmas cards are addressed to all of us, but also in the envelopes were birthday cards for me for Wednesday. So if it didn't actually say anywhere who or what the money was for, I could assume it's for my birthday, right? Right???
    Running stops me murdering either of them (or any of his family) so we could say that spending it on races for me also benefits them......

@Camaramandy648 Dammit, I always wish I hadn't told mine stuff after having done so too LOL

Count yourself as two people or two holidays (your birthday + Christmas) and divide it by 3. My dad sends a check each year and I just divide it evenly five ways. My little man just gets it chunked in his bank account. My mom sends Monsanto but it's individual.

Just adding that ultimately it's your money, addressed to you from your family and what you do with it is your business. I won't tell...

Hehehe yeah we're talking 20€ here, if I follow that method we'd end up with 5€ each (which is like 5 dollars and a few cents). I think me not murdering them if probably worth more than the coffee and a donut they would spend their portions on! Especially as I can get 3 races out of it!
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,954 Member
    @noblsheep I like that doctor! Does she make house calls to Tennessee in the USA? ;)
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    LoveyChar wrote: »

Question: If I don't tell my husband and daughter that my aunts in the UK sent us cash in their xmas cards and I spend it all on race entry fees, does that make me a bad person?

If they sent it to "you as a group of people to share" - then yes. :p

If they sent it to "specifically you to do with as you want" - then no.

What if nobody said anything about who they were sending it to? I mean the xmas cards are addressed to all of us, but also in the envelopes were birthday cards for me for Wednesday. So if it didn't actually say anywhere who or what the money was for, I could assume it's for my birthday, right? Right???
    Running stops me murdering either of them (or any of his family) so we could say that spending it on races for me also benefits them......

@Camaramandy648 Dammit, I always wish I hadn't told mine stuff after having done so too LOL

Count yourself as two people or two holidays (your birthday + Christmas) and divide it by 3. My dad sends a check each year and I just divide it evenly five ways. My little man just gets it chunked in his bank account. My mom sends Monsanto but it's individual.

Just adding that ultimately it's your money, addressed to you from your family and what you do with it is your business. I won't tell...

Hehehe yeah we're talking 20€ here, if I follow that method we'd end up with 5€ each (which is like 5 dollars and a few cents). I think me not murdering them if probably worth more than the coffee and a donut they would spend their portions on! Especially as I can get 3 races out of it!

😂 I agree
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    @LoveyChar Your poor knees! I’m so glad the little one was okay. How sore and/or swollen are they after having time to set up?

@mbaker566 @polskagirl01 being sick is no fun, hope you are both better soon.

I hope everyone who celebrates had a delightful Christmas! I’m 90% over my cold now but my husband is still miserable. We ran 5k yesterday anyway, because we were both feeling crazy from not running and also I am gaining weight stupid fast. I know intellectually that I’m still logging and eating under my maintenance calories and can’t really have gained 5 pounds of fat in a week, but the combo of not running plus that number is freaking me out.

Really really wanted to get out there and run on Christmas, the weather was balmy and bright, but my husband was too sick, neither one of us had gotten any sleep (extended family gets up earlier than we do) plus too much family stuff to do. I think the weather laughs at us mortals, I had bought the cutest Christmas sweater and it ended up being t-shirt weather. I kept imagining all the tiny children being crammed into tiny adorable Christmas coats for church and photos despite the weather because darn it, it won’t fit by next year!

Was Santa good to everyone? Santa brought me the new Brooks Adrenaline 20s, flip mitts, a new heat reflective headband to replace the one that got stolen, darn tough socks, and a pair of snow boots which are really easy to zip on and off for wearing after running wet winter trails.

I tried the Adrenaline 20s yesterday and the jury is still out. I love the 18s, but skipped the 19s because they seemed to throw my weight to the outside of my foot. The 20s on paper are made the same as the 19s - “guide rails” instead of a medial post - but don’t seem to have quite the same issue side to side. However, they have their own set of issues. They are noticeably soft and springy compared to the 18s, but instead of the return being forward, they seem to bounce straight UP and kill the momentum. Also, after only 2 miles the stabilization muscles in my hips were really feeling worked out. And most annoyingly my arches felt tired after running. I may be able to use them once I get used to them, but they are definitely not a shoe I can just put on and run and feel great, like the old version. Apparently many people agree with me since they currently have 55% one star reviews on Run repeat, all saying, “Quit changing the shoe!” But I am almost out of my hoarded shoes from year before last and can’t find an acceptable replacement, so I have to find something that works.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,388 Member
    @rheddmobile - have you looked at the Adrenaline 18's on eBay? I don't know what size you want but there are some listed there, new and used. I found a pair of the Topo ST-2s there that I have not found anywhere in my size. They are used but very few miles and only $20!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    shanaber wrote: »
    @rheddmobile - have you looked at the Adrenaline 18's on eBay? I don't know what size you want but there are some listed there, new and used. I found a pair of the Topo ST-2s there that I have not found anywhere in my size. They are used but very few miles and only $20!

Yep, I should try eBay again. I got the pair I’m currently wearing on Poshmark used - person tried them once on a treadmill and hated them. Very nice deal, fifty bucks, not even the micro tread is worn. Unfortunately a lot of people seem to wear 9.5 b and most of the ones I’ve found have more wear than the ones I’m replacing or they want more than the price they were new. Plus, how long can I keep finding them? The supply is going to run out eventually, so I need to transition to something that’s still made.

• Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    I almost forgot to do my 12 Days of Christmas song. Not sure how I forgot. That's all I could think of while I was walking/running. LOL

On the second day of Christmas,
    my workout let me see,
    two lumbering cows and
    a squirrel high up in a pine tree.

I thought you had abandoned me...
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,433 Member
    @Elise4270 thanks for setting up the January thread. Not sure how much I'll participate, but glad you are feeling so proactive! 😁
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited December 2019
    Scott6255 wrote: »
    @Elise4270 thanks for setting up the January thread. Not sure how much I'll participate, but glad you are feeling so proactive! 😁

I beat ya to it, eh? I had an ulterior motive. The RTY teams need a little support. And I'm between semesters... and I'm tired of cleaning the house... and if I can't run (ever again), least ya'll can (try). :p

train smart my friend!

ETA Tag! you're it for February! <-- I think this a great way to delegate the new thread starter!
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    @Avidkeo That is such a sweet pic! I feel your pain - one of my dogs can take from 25-38 min to do ONE MILE😭 Some days I just embrace his pace. Other days I get very frustrated.