December 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    LoveyChar wrote: »
    @polskagirl01 If beer drinking is a sport, well... I think he's just lucky. He doesn't even workout and he's a smoker too. I am not even kidding. I hope your work conference goes smoothly and you can squeeze some good runs in.
    Whatever you do, don't promise to stay with him during the marathon you're doing together! I probably wouldn't even start with him - too much unpredictability and potential for wrecking your race. I mean he might just jog the whole thing at an easy pace, OR he could crash and burn into a pile of limping negativity at any moment.
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    @Camaramandy648 if there’s a high impact bra which doesn’t get sopping wet on a hard, sweaty long run, I haven’t found it yet. I like the Brooks Juno but it is usually soaking and feels awful by the end of a run. I feel like even with tech fabrics, wearing a shirt over it is going to prevent sweat from evaporating.

Just what I was going to say - I've yet to find one that doesn't get soaked when I'm sweating (aka running). My best fitting bras are the store brand bras from Academy Sports.
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    12-1 7k easy
    12-2 7k slow + resistance bands
    12-3 rest
    12-4 7k slow + resistance bands
    12-5 rest + yoga
    12-6 7k slow + resistance bands
    12-7 7k easy + yoga
    12-8 rest
    12-9 4k easy + resistance bands
    12-10 rest + yoga
    12-11 7k easy + resistance bands
    12-12 7k easy + yoga
    12-13 rest + resistance bands
    12-14 7k easy + yoga
    12-15 8k slow
    12-16 7k slow + resistance bands
    12-17 rest + yoga
    12-18 7k slow + resistance bands
    12-19 7k slow + yoga
    12-20 rest + resistance bands
    12-21 7k easy + yoga
    12-22 7k easy
    12-23 7k easy + resistance bands
    12-24 7k easy + yoga
    12-25 rest
    12-26 7k moderate + yoga
    12-27 7k moderate + resistance bands
    12-28 7k slow + yoga
    12-29 rest

December Total: 138k
    December Goal: 135k

January Total: 131k
    February Total: 159.5k
    March Total: 183k
    April Total: 126k
    May Total: 128k
    June Total: 161.5k
    July Total: 151k
    August Total: 133k
    September Total: 135k
    October Total: 115k
    November Total: 155k

2019 Total through November: 1,578k / 978.36m

Monthly average: 143.45k

Next year when you pop in here claiming your December 2019 mileage, what accomplishments will you have made?
    Run at least 4 5k races - Completed 8-31.
    Get under 30:00 and a PR for 5k - Nope...
    Average at least 135k per month, which would put me over 1,000 miles for the year - Completed 12-7.

Run the Year Team: Five for Nineteen - Completed 9-28

Raining today. Seems like a good day for a rest day.

The Twelve Runs of Christmas

On the third run of Christmas, my workout gave to me:
    Three calf cramps;
    Two frozen ponds;
    And a small niggle in my left knee.

2020 goals:
    Continue a 5k regimen.
    Train better.

4-13 Shine the Light 5K - 31:12 chip time; First Place male 65 and older
    6-30 Strides for Starfish 5K - 31:34 chip time; 31/77 overall; second male 65 and older (no official category)
    7-27 Solon Home Days 5K - 31:11 chip time; 95/141 overall; 4/6 age group (male)
    8-31 Race for Freedom 5k - 31:39 chip time; 32:00 Garmin time; Third Place male 60 and older
    10-13 Haunted Hustle 5k - 31:22 chip time; 47/74 overall; First Place male 60 and older
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    @hamsterwheel6 Congratulations on running the year in KMs. That is a great accomplishment!
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    @polskagirl01 If beer drinking is a sport, well... I think he's just lucky. He doesn't even workout and he's a smoker too. I am not even kidding. I hope your work conference goes smoothly and you can squeeze some good runs in.
    Whatever you do, don't promise to stay with him during the marathon you're doing together! I probably wouldn't even start with him - too much unpredictability and potential for wrecking your race. I mean he might just jog the whole thing at an easy pace, OR he could crash and burn into a pile of limping negativity at any moment.

I am slow. I'd probably hold him back, but I don't know. The one time we did run, he quit on me. If that happens, I'll keep going without him. I can run 12 miles or more (steady and never stop, only slow down for a drink) and still only at best get between 11-12.5 minute miles. I have no running competition in me. I just want to finish in under the 16 minute mile time that we're allotted. My absolute biggest goal is just building up my endurance, no stopping for anything and I don't want to walk a step (which I don't do anyway) and hopefully, maintain an entire 26.2 at 12 minute miles. If I can do that, I'll do backhand springs across the finish line. I admire racers, I truly do. I'm not one, just a runner. I love running and I get the high and it keeps me in shape, but I started doing it as a stress reliever. Working with kids that have given me black eyes, scratches, bruises, punches, a chipped tooth put me on a quiet trail; it was the only good thing to come out of that mess.
  • hamsterwheel6
    hamsterwheel6 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Scott6255 wrote: »
    @hamsterwheel6 Congratulations on running the year in KMs. That is a great accomplishment!

Thank you! Didn’t think I could make it, but with the holiday time off, I’ve been able to run a bit more!

Today is rest day after yesterday’s long run...although it really is a great day temp wise to run...but I must listen to the legs!
  • hamsterwheel6
    Options

I am slow. I'd probably hold him back, but I don't know. The one time we did run, he quit on me. If that happens, I'll keep going without him. I can run 12 miles or more (steady and never stop, only slow down for a drink) and still only at best get between 11-12.5 minute miles. I have no running competition in me. I just want to finish in under the 16 minute mile time that we're allotted. My absolute biggest goal is just building up my endurance, no stopping for anything and I don't want to walk a step (which I don't do anyway) and hopefully, maintain an entire 26.2 at 12 minute miles. If I can do that, I'll do backhand springs across the finish line. I admire racers, I truly do. I'm not one, just a runner. I love running and I get the high and it keeps me in shape, but I started doing it as a stress reliever. Working with kids that have given me black eyes, scratches, bruises, punches, a chipped tooth put me on a quiet trail; it was the only good thing to come out of that mess.

I have no doubt you will do well! Keep to your game plan and enjoy the accomplishment.
  • hamsterwheel6
    Options
    Teresa502 wrote: »
    Dec 2 – 5.11 miles
    Dec 4 – 5.06 miles
    Dec 7 – 10.03 miles
    Dec 9 – 5.11 miles
    Dec 11 – 5.06 miles
    Dec 14 – 3.22 (Dream Run 5k)
    Dec 15 – 13.26 miles (Santa Hustle)
    Dec 16 – 3.5 miles
    Dec 18 – 5.45 miles
    Dec 20 – 5.53 miles
    Dec 21 – 9.89 miles
    Dec 23 – 4.53 miles
    Dec 24 – 3.07 miles
    Dec 25 – 5.43 miles
    Dec 26 – 5.06 miles
    Dec 28 – 5.00 + 5.05 miles
    Total – 99.36/100 miles

Started training for Peyton’s Wild n Wacky 50K relay yesterday. I’m on a 2-person relay team. It’s held on a trail in Charleston, SC and what make it wacky is that you run a 5K every hour on the hour for 10 hours. You have to be finished with your 5K within the hour and you can’t start the next 5K segment until the hour mark has passed. I’ve done it before as a solo participant so splitting the mileage with my teammate should be manageable. The challenge will be not to eat too much or get stiff when my teammate is running her segments and I’m hanging out at camp. Yesterday we ran 5 miles in town on the sidewalk with some other friends. Then we took about a 20 minute break and drove up to Bays Mountain and ran on the trails for another 5 miles. The park at Bays Mountain doesn’t open until 8:30 am and we wanted to get an earlier start so that’s why we started on the sidewalk plus it was good training to take a break between the runs.

My friend and I also met our 2019 miles in 2019 challenge yesterday. I was worried that we would not make it this year because she was out of running for a couple of months when she broke her shoulder.

So close to my monthly goal!

That race sounds very cool!
  • LoveyChar
    Options

I have no doubt you will do well! Keep to your game plan and enjoy the accomplishment.

Thank you...
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options

Sounds like a wise plan. Stick with it regardless of him and you should be good. :)
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    BOOM! 31.05 miles in seven days! I got out this morning and managed a 12:17 pace and did 1.85 miles. Still didn’t do the 5k distance nonstop but I know I can and I am pretty sore from yesterday. I got going pretty well and had planned to but a lady had her pit off the leash so I stopped to walk around them. I was so annoyed by this! Pits are great dogs if they are trained, but I don’t know this lady or her dog....

So after that i did ten seconds of moderate speed, ten seconds easy, ten seconds moderate, ten seconds easy, until i got back home. Good workout and still got home in time to make breakfast, shower again, get ready and go to church.

Great day today, hoping to go eat Mexican food after tear down at the church at 2.

My murino buff came and I can’t stop laughing when i look in the mirror with it on. I mean BELLY LAUGHING. I think it’ll work quite well and maybe the cold won’t hurt my lungs so bad anymore! Yay no more suffocating!
    Love all of this. Well done :)
  • Camaramandy648
    Camaramandy648 Posts: 711 Member
    Options

@LoveyChar TWELVE MILES NONSTOP! Good NIGHT! You’re amazing!

I so want to be able to say “I can run twelve miles without stopping.” I am going to keep working at it until I can. It’s all learning and progression and SOMEDAY I WILL GET THERE!

Anyway, you’re an inspiration ;)
  • LoveyChar
    Options
    BOOM! 31.05 miles in seven days! I got out this morning and managed a 12:17 pace and did 1.85 miles. Still didn’t do the 5k distance nonstop but I know I can and I am pretty sore from yesterday. I got going pretty well and had planned to but a lady had her pit off the leash so I stopped to walk around them. I was so annoyed by this! Pits are great dogs if they are trained, but I don’t know this lady or her dog....

So after that i did ten seconds of moderate speed, ten seconds easy, ten seconds moderate, ten seconds easy, until i got back home. Good workout and still got home in time to make breakfast, shower again, get ready and go to church.

Great day today, hoping to go eat Mexican food after tear down at the church at 2.

My murino buff came and I can’t stop laughing when i look in the mirror with it on. I mean BELLY LAUGHING. I think it’ll work quite well and maybe the cold won’t hurt my lungs so bad anymore! Yay no more suffocating!

Very nice job on the PR, Woot Woot! Dogs off leashes is one of my peeves, especially if I have my dog out walking with me (she is always leashed). She doesn't get along well with other dogs and your dog better not approach my dog. Problem is I don't have a big dog and she'll probably get hurt if she initiates an attack. Secondly, if your dog is smaller...

Bottom line: It's the law, so leash your dog! Got it?! Nothing cute about your dog being off a leash. Go to the dog park if that's what you want.
  • LoveyChar
    Options

@LoveyChar TWELVE MILES NONSTOP! Good NIGHT! You’re amazing!

I so want to be able to say “I can run twelve miles without stopping.” I am going to keep working at it until I can. It’s all learning and progression and SOMEDAY I WILL GET THERE!

Anyway, you’re an inspiration ;)

Thank you, but I'm not. You're really sweet to say that. I just get stronger. These last two months I have fallen short of hitting my goals but I just keep striving like everyone else here is. I already hit my goal for this month! And I'll do more... I'm progressing and I want it more than I did before. And I have no doubt you'll get to whatever goal you want to reach...
  • LoveyChar
    Options
    Well no run these last two days, so this apparently sums it up for me:
    xg5p4xv5hdh3.png

(includes walking and hiking)

Wow, wow wow, that's over 200 miles per month! Congratulations on a great accomplishment!