January 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Replies

• RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    edited January 2020
    I have way too much gear to list.

I have several pairs of socks (probably a dozen+) divided by compression (for really long runs or after races), longish runs, and short runs.

I have a stack of leggings, capris, and shorts. Probably 5-6 of each (and a few more shorts since summer is long and hot). Plus short shorts for weight lifting, yoga etc (not running shorts). I have probably 15-20 sports bras.

I have tank tops, tshirts, and long sleeve shirts. I have holiday shirts for st patricks day, thanksgiving and christmas. I have jackets and a vest. Most of the tshirts and a few tank tops are from races.

I have about a million hats. Gloves, mittens, several buffs and sleeves. Two hydration packs.

Three pair of road shoes, two pair of trail shoes.

I'm probably missing something. I didn't even include my hiking gear LOL

Oh ETA sunglasses. I have 4 or 5 pair just for running
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    maybe start with some easy intervals @samthepanda and enjoy the slow pace?
  • hamsterwheel6
    hamsterwheel6 Posts: 544 Member
    @kgirlhart Glad your mom's surgery went ok!
  • hamsterwheel6
    hamsterwheel6 Posts: 544 Member
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    maybe start with some easy intervals @samthepanda and enjoy the slow pace?

Ditto. Don't put any pressure on yourself, and try to just go out and enjoy it!
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,944 Member
    @samthepanda I was wondering where you had been. I'm glad you are feeling some better. I'd start back with walking. When you can walk at a decent pace, then add in 30 sec or so of running here and there. When you feel like it, add in more running. Just don't push yourself to the point that you get worse. You're body needs to heal. (I am not a doctor. So take this advice for what it is worth. :wink: )

@kgirlhart I'm glad your mom is doing okay and they were able to get the stone out. That must have been really painful for her. Good for you for getting your runs in too! I usually let those types of life happenings to get me off track. Good luck shoe shopping.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Advice needed for an overanxious very slow runner, who needs to balance the benefits of running and other exercise for my mental health, and how to get back to it after been ill for several weeks. My usual runs are a couple of times a week, 2-3 miles, about 12 minute miles - slow as I said. My last run was 27th Dec, when I noticed I was quite wheezy. I had a cough and generally tired, with tight chest finally going to GP on 8th Jan. I am now on my second round of antibiotics, steroids and have been given an inhaler. I don’t normally have but this infection has really triggered a wheeze which is hanging around, I finish the drugs tomorrow. I feel a little better, but by no means ready to start running yet but I am trying to convince myself I will get back out eventually. I am still struggling to keep up with my daughter on the school run. I am very fed up. Can I anyone give any advice on starting running again? I had pneumonia about 6 years ago, and it took a long time to get back, and th breathing issues messed with my anxiety. Fortunately at that time I had a very lovely and patient running partner who helped me with pacing, and not panicking when it was bad. I used an inhaler for a few months after that. This time I am on my own. I have entered my second half marathon in May, my only aim was to go a bit quicker than last year (3 hours so not a big aim), but not sure if it’s worth it.

I am returning from injury instead of illness but am using the following plan as a guideline.

https://minneapolisrunning.com/return-running-injury/

• emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Advice needed for an overanxious very slow runner, who needs to balance the benefits of running and other exercise for my mental health, and how to get back to it after been ill for several weeks. My usual runs are a couple of times a week, 2-3 miles, about 12 minute miles - slow as I said. My last run was 27th Dec, when I noticed I was quite wheezy. I had a cough and generally tired, with tight chest finally going to GP on 8th Jan. I am now on my second round of antibiotics, steroids and have been given an inhaler. I don’t normally have but this infection has really triggered a wheeze which is hanging around, I finish the drugs tomorrow. I feel a little better, but by no means ready to start running yet but I am trying to convince myself I will get back out eventually. I am still struggling to keep up with my daughter on the school run. I am very fed up. Can I anyone give any advice on starting running again? I had pneumonia about 6 years ago, and it took a long time to get back, and th breathing issues messed with my anxiety. Fortunately at that time I had a very lovely and patient running partner who helped me with pacing, and not panicking when it was bad. I used an inhaler for a few months after that. This time I am on my own. I have entered my second half marathon in May, my only aim was to go a bit quicker than last year (3 hours so not a big aim), but not sure if it’s worth it.

I am returning from injury instead of illness but am using the following plan as a guideline.

https://minneapolisrunning.com/return-running-injury/

That is the plan I did when coming back from my broken leg this past year. It worked well. I repeated or moved up intervals when needed. I had to repeat a few early on but moved up quickly after the first 2ish weeks.

Thank you for that feedback! It seemed to be a reasonable plan. It feels somewhat like I’m starting from scratch. I’m thinking I’ll need to repeat some runs too. I’m a little sore from yesterday. Not pain, just sore. So I’ll probably add an extra rest day and/or repeat last nights interval next time.