WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2020

Options

Replies

• JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    he80kih81wes.jpeg
    510 cal lunch

140 cal 14 Tortilla chips 5min warmed in air fryer cooks grease out. 80cal spinach artichoke dip . Squash fried in water y Blk pepper . Crystal light peach tea 2 glasses water down of course or too strong a taste for me. Lettuce mixed with kale salad extra helping of granola mix in it yum yum.

Amber Tx

Dinner unknown still .

JR peanut butter pancakes with Greek yogurt (used to use sour cream in the restaurant for breakfast dishes so thought why not tastes the same . Worked he ate 3!
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    Lisa and Machka- I am with you on the green peppers. I can taste even the tiniest hint and it does ruin the whole dish for me too. I hate it when restaurants list what is in a dish and fail to say green peppers, as if everyone must like them!

Otherwise, I like spices (not hot spice) and flavors. I prefer my food to be flavored with salt and spices than sauces. I love sour beer, dark beer, and juicy IPAs. I don't like the "dank" beer that is in abundance here. The mister thinks beets taste like dirt, which I can understand. I prefer roasted baby beets. The smell of whiskey makes me want to vomit. I think that is from smelling it on my uncle when I was a child.

We are in escrow with our investment property. I fear it will fall out, which is giving me much anxiety. There is a lot of work to do on it and I don't want manage those projects. But it is in a great location and is great income property, but I think the buyers are looking at it to live in, which is a bit of an overwhelming prospect. It's over 100 years old.

Hugs to Carol and others who are saying or said goodbye to pets. I considered fostering when we lost our most recent cat, but I know it would not be just fostering. They are too easy to fall in love with. Instead, we support organizations that work on behalf of animals.

Machka - I wish antihistamines put me to sleep. It seems nothing helps in that area. I can take 50 mg of diphenhydramine and not so much as a flutter of the eyelids happens. The only thing that seems to make me really sleepy is spending a day in the sun. Then as soon as I get in bed, I am wide awake.

For my birthday last year, I was given the option to choose a trip. We went to Romania. It was fantastic. We try to go on trips for our birthdays and over either Thanksgiving or Christmas. Since we live thousands of miles from our families and have no kids, we can do or not do what we want. I like it that way. I still have a few places on my travel wish list, but they will take more planning than I wanted to do last year.

Need more coffee today. Have a great day, everyone.

Tina in CA
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Pip: Thank you for forgiving me. :bigsmile:

Barbie: I understand why some people leave their Christmas lights up for a long time. They want to use the lights to chase the long dark time of winter away. Others have taken an overdose of vitamin LZ. Your latitude features longer dark days of winter than ours, but also longer daylight in summer. I love the long days of summer and rely on very bright lights in my house to help deal with winter darkness. :flowerforyou:

Barbara: Reading is a delight in life. Taking time to indulge in reading is so much nicer than watching TV hour after hour. I’ve been rereading some books set in Friday Harbor, WA. It has been years since we’ve been there in person and I’m enjoying the memories of our visits as I read the story. :heart:

Heather: Last year DS magically appeared tor my 70th birthday. He was on his way home from a business trip. His visit was an unexpected surprise and total delight. We have never leaned toward posh eating. I was the one with food issues for years, then DH developed food problems and was put on a FODMAP diet, which eliminates wheat-based products, among other things. The wheat alternatives are all higher calories than wheat. He has loads of “Foddy” rolls and buns. I still have sourdough bread that I buy from the store. I haven’t tried to make sourdough bread in a long time. I currently have my original sourdough starter and also a brown rice sourdough starter. It makes delicious waffles but they are quite a bit more fragile than wheat flour waffles. :heart:

Machka: Your idea of putting classes online during this virus worry is brilliant. I hope your college gives it good consideration, and also all colleges that have students who may have been exposed. :star:

Amber: The Walmart in our town is a smaller store than most I’ve visited. It has no fresh food. All of the food choices are in a can, box or other sealed package. Luckily, we have other grocery stores to choose from. We have not considered using Amazon for delivering groceries. The nearest Amazon store is about thirty miles away. I like to choose my own fresh foods. :noway: :flowerforyou:

Yoga today!! YAY!!! I need to get going to be there in time to ride the recumbent bike before yoga class.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,343 Member
    Options
    Flea – I have the package with the label. It definitely says “media mail”. It’s a label that she made at home and I’m thinking that maybe she mailed other packages and the program she uses just told her the total postage for all the packages. Not realizing that it was for ALL the packages, she may have thought it was just for the one. I asked for a copy of the receipt because I can’t believe that it’s almost double what it usually is. So far I haven’t gotten the receipt. I’ll just wait a bit more.

M – none of the rugs are in direct sunlight for any length of time. One MIGHT get a bit of filtered light for a very short time (and I do mean short). I sincerely hope the antihistamine helps you. They always make me wide awake. But the good news is that they make me not want to eat.

Wednesday here: Went to the water class today. The plan for tomorrow is to do Kathy Smith’s Build Muscle Shrink Fat DVD

After exercise went to the salvation army and got this cat that I think will go nicely on our cat wall and I found a DVD that I didn’t have!!!! So you know that I had to buy it. Then home and we put away the rest of the Christmas decorations. The final tree is down!

Lisa AR – One of our cats, Clyde, does the same thing as Egg – every time Vince opens the linen cabinet, he jumps in.

I was pretty sure the main consensus would be to just pay that gal for the full postage ($4.88) and just never order from her again.

For those of you who use their own yogurt when making yogurt in the IP – how long can you keep your yogurt until you make the next batch of yogurt? I usually make some, then make some more in a few weeks. Will started from my first batch last until the next batch? Maybe can it be frozen? If it is, can you still use it as starter?

KJ – I never thought of using the whey in baking! You could probably substitute it for water that might be called for. Also, I bet it can be frozen until you need it. Thanks for the wonderful tip. Do you think the whey has to be refrigerated. In other words, if you use it in a cake or icing or whatever, do you have to keep the cake/whatever refrigerated?

Birthdays – I don’t tell people my birthday mainly because I don’t want anyone making a fuss over it. To me, it’s just another day.

Tina CA – if a restaurant doesn’t list a certain ingredient, I send it back! Because I figure if they had listed it, I would have asked for it without that ingredient. So it’s really their own fault

Michele NC
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    :)
  • LuciBThinner
    LuciBThinner Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Just starting page 71- behind again!

Welcome to all New Ladies!! and Welcome Back to those who have returned! I hope I will continue to stay on here permanently as I see getting away from it is when people seem to gain back the weight.

JanetO - sorry about the extra stress. I am right there with you as I am noticing I am either wanting to eat my emotions, or am having trouble eating normally when running about with extra things going on in life.

I am a pumpkin pie...but I like KJ's sweet, dense, nutty pecan pie being more accurate, that's probably true for me, too!

I'm using Splenda. I know it's not the greatest, but at least you use a lot less than with sugar, and it keeps my diabetes at bay. I have not taken drugs up to this point for the diabetes and hope to keep it that way. This has been going on for a little over a year now. Losing the weight and getting more active has brought my A1C down.

Debbie Downer about my sadness the past couple of weeks:
    Have had a rough week even though I had such a wonderful time seeing my kids a week and a half ago. BIL's stroke, and this past week losing a friend from childhood to suicide...these have thrown me a bit. BIL is 5 years younger than me. 10 years younger than DH. He is finally to a point where he is able to swallow a bit after 2 weeks. He cannot move his arm or walk yet. DH has already lost a younger brother. It is tough when they are younger and passing. (Of course, I'm not looking forward to losing my older siblings either if I outlive them.) My friend who committed suicide did so because her health had declined and she felt her family would be better without her. My best friend (who was also my children's Grandma) did this, too, and it was SO hard on all of us. It seems like it should be okay to die with dignity when you go downhill, but, at the same time, it is hard for me to think it's okay. When are you bad enough to leave? and when is it easiest on those who love you? There are states in the US where it is legal to have assisted suicide. On top of all of that, this conflicts with my spiritual beliefs, so it makes it a tougher call. I'm curious where all of you stand on this.

I'm too hungry!! I hope I can get it under control!!

Great pictures Everyone!! Always make me smile!

<3 Luci in WNC
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,547 Member
    Options
    Pppp
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    Options
    Katla- No Amazon stores near us.Walmarts here have stopped carrying a lot now Sam’s Club is following suit! Walmart.com what I lean on the most for anything I can’t get from the stores. We have a few other types of stores but their either ridiculously high priced, Costco, or HEB closest to us that always has cops (murdered homeless lady in the parking lot 1st day we moved here! Purse theif I scared off. Lots of other incidents. My old town it was the place to go here more like avoid or drive to one in another area of town). Whole Foods fat distance was bought out by Amazon now it’s mainly cheese y wines. Amazon online well the Prime delivers my neighbors groceries to things to me y other neighbors never them! They have to pray the person is kind so they get it .

Amber Tx

Still unknown Dinner wanting shrimp 🍤 but not sure yet.
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,844 Member
    Options
    Up to pg 84
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    Supertasters- Seeing you post the "signs" of a supertaster, I really think it is describing my husband. Nearly all foods he tries, he claims that they taste or smell like something, in my mind, really crazy (like sour, bitter, dirty, or "chemical-y") He uses sour to describe a great many things. He is also a cilantro hater ("tastes like soap").
    (Kelly)[/b]

I often use the word "sharp" to describe foods that aren't very good ... that are sour or chemical-y. My husband used to look at me like I had lost my marbles, but he got used to it. For example, a tomato-based sauce over pasta will likely be too "sharp" for me ... and I'll have to salt it like mad to tone down the "sharpness" so I can eat it.

Capsicum (especially green peppers) are a really "sharp", chemical, bitter thing. Not only do I not like eating them, I also don't like eating anything they've touched. Like if they're on a pizza, and they've touched the cheese, they are so strong they will have tainted the cheese.

And "dirty" ... have you ever had plain wild rice, not mixed with a domestic rice? That's a great description of "dirty" ... plain wild rice tastes like the whole swamp has been included!

On the positive side, it makes sticking to pretty much the same thing every day very easy. :)

Machka in Oz

I used to think tomato sauce had a strong flavor too, but my daughter In law showed me a trick which was 1 can of favorite spaghetti sauce, 1 smaller can of plain tomato sauce, 1 little can of tomato paste, and 2 spoonfuls of brown sugar. The brown sugar really tones the acidic flavors. It tastes richer. I am sure other sweet, more healthier options work better, but I don't have it that often.👍
    💖Rebecca
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,210 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Dancing went well. DH lasted the course. :D We both liked the new venue by the lagoon. It's about 15 mins walk away. Friendly group. We might stay on for a drink next week, but I wanted to get back home.
    For me the beginners class is a bit slow, but DH feels more comfortable.

Weather due to turn wet tomorrow. :(

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

lb5kpdw6vmrf.jpg
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    Options
    Rebecca- I use plain white sugar to spaghetti sauces that are acidic same result.
    Good job on baggy clothes!

3 servings Shrimp 🍤 in garlic butter with salad y squash for dinner

Amber Tx
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,091 Member
    Options
    ☘️
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,702 Member
    Options
    Got all my.new scripts but will hold off on them have to cut my old antidepressants in half and finish them before starting on new ones
  • coastalgosgal
    Options
    Rebecca- I use plain white sugar to spaghetti sauces that are acidic same result.
    Good job on baggy clothes!

3 servings Shrimp 🍤 in garlic butter with salad y squash for dinner

Amber Tx

I will have to test that theory!👍
  • coastalgosgal
    Options
    Just did my weekly cry watching "This Is Us". Booohooo.💖
    💖Rebecca