February 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Replies

• kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,964 Member
    @ContraryMaryMary Your 7 year old is going a tri? That is crazy! What are the distances for each section- just curious?

It’s the Weetbix (cereal) Tryathlon, designed for kids between 7 and 15. They’re held all over the country over summer. The 7-year-olds swim 50 metres, cycle 4km, and run 1.5km. It’s certainly challenging for the younger ones but they love it. They get a t-shirt, swim cap and gear bag, and a medal (and breakfast if they want it), there’s loads of support, including a bunch of elite athletes, and hundreds of very excited, if somewhat nervous, kids competing.

Plus they get to say they competed in a triathlon! That is so cool!
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    That didn't go quite as well as I hoped. I need to go slower on long runs, not psych myself into thinking I can just keep going further at the speed that challenges me for slower runs. I should run the shorter runs slower, too, I think. I managed 8 miles before my brain defeated me. I'll just try again tomorrow.

Slower.

exercise.png
    That didn't go quite as well as I hoped. I need to go slower on long runs, not psych myself into thinking I can just keep going further at the speed that challenges me for slower runs. I should run the shorter runs slower, too, I think. I managed 8 miles before my brain defeated me. I'll just try again tomorrow.

Slower.

I'm not an expert and you're not a child but I'll tell you what I told my 13 year old when she ran with me the other night and thought she would fly by me only to get winded and stop up ahead and want to rest. Then when I caught up to her, she was done in for having pushed too hard to fast but I pushed her to run again to teach her a lesson. "Pace yourself, this is an endurance run" and it wasn't. It was 3 miles but compared to her daily one mile gym run, it was... Turbo speed is great for sprints or if you plan to stop. Otherwise slow and steady wins the long race, I believe. I'm not sure if she gets endurance, steady and pacing but she'll figure it out.

Nice job on the 8 miles! And congratulations if that was a milestone...
  • LoveyChar
    @katharmonic Is it risky? What are mace workouts?
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Today is cross training day for me. So I did a Leslie Sansone video this morning and am now tending to sick kids. They are teenagers and mostly self sufficient. So I’m just making sure they take meds and trying not to catch this cold/flu/plague from them. The weather here is also predicting cold weather on my scheduled run days. They even floated the possibility of snow flurries Thursday morning. That’s crazy talk for southeast Texas. I’ll be surprised if it actually reaches Houston.

@mbaker566 woot! Excited for you!

@autumnblade75 super cute car! I love the green!

@contrarymarymary what a neat event for the kids!

• LoveyChar
    LoveyChar wrote: »
    @katharmonic Is it risky? What are mace workouts?

@LoveyChar it's not risky, it's just a type of strength training (except for risks like when I whacked my knee with the mace a couple of weeks ago). The mace is a steel rod with a heavy ball at one end - an offset weight. Like medieval weapon mace, but no fighting! It's a full-body workout that you do with lots of squats, lunges, overhead work, etc. Definitely works the arms and shoulders/back though to be swinging that around.

Some pics of the mace in action:
    xhiwqob9symg.png
    c5ws6vvlzvt9.png
    jvdli7oizatv.png
    51ru7lqqs4vz.png

Wow, interesting exercise! Thanks for replying!
  • TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,518 Member
    I like the sound of that full body scan more than the sore knee. I wonder if anyone does that near me?

exercise.png
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    LoveyChar wrote: »

Slower.

exercise.png

I'm not an expert and you're not a child but I'll tell you what I told my 13 year old when she ran with me the other night and thought she would fly by me only to get winded and stop up ahead and want to rest. Then when I caught up to her, she was done in for having pushed too hard to fast but I pushed her to run again to teach her a lesson. "Pace yourself, this is an endurance run" and it wasn't. It was 3 miles but compared to her daily one mile gym run, it was... Turbo speed is great for sprints or if you plan to stop. Otherwise slow and steady wins the long race, I believe. I'm not sure if she gets endurance, steady and pacing but she'll figure it out.

Nice job on the 8 miles! And congratulations if that was a milestone...

Thank you. I'm training for a marathon. Not my first. I just need to relearn everything - probably the hard way.

For the record, the run intervals were about 20 seconds faster per mile than my usual - but I don't usually walk at all. Not anything I would call a sprint. This is how I'm attempting to fine-tune. There may be a better way, but I'm stubborn. I need to harness it to work for me, instead of against. I do know that in the past I've run for 5:30 and then walked for :30. Yesterday was 9:00/1:00. I think I'll try keeping at regular speed, then, and allowing the walks to lower the average. If that doesn't work, I'll shorten the intervals. If that doesn't work, I'll have no choice but to slow further. Today, I'll walk whatever portion I can't force myself to run. Running slower will be faster than walking the last 5 miles. Hopefully.