40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Replies

• nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 8,898 Member
    Heavy snow overnight and still falling. My oldest son tried to go to work, ended up spinning a 360 and into a ditch. He was able to drive out again, he's fine, but it convinced us to keep everybody home inside today, including my wife's college, my younger kids' school, and my gym time. Phooey.

I do have to hit up the grocery store later, but before I do I will shovel the driveway. That will count as my workout today.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    KISS concert tonight!!!
    g8v1831ngnwv.jpg
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Planning a desert hike with the pup and anyone else I can convince to go with us. And the never completed "honey do" list.
  • DaniMerc72
    DaniMerc72 Posts: 188 Member
    My big Friday night is laundry, and working on papers for my class. Whoop-dee-do! I'm living the rockstar life here!
  • gam3rguy
    gam3rguy Posts: 3,773 Member
    "22 Minute Hard Corps Cold Start & Resistance 1”=Done!
  • nurserubin
    nurserubin Posts: 1 Member
    I want in the club too :)
  • SFnBald
    SFnBald Posts: 134 Member
    Trying to get things under control. Anyone have any tips for breaking my sugar addiction? It’s my biggest hurdle to getting back to a healthy life. Feel free to add me too please!
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    SFnBald wrote: »
    Trying to get things under control. Anyone have any tips for breaking my sugar addiction? It’s my biggest hurdle to getting back to a healthy life. Feel free to add me too please!

I can relate. I am affectionately referred to as the "Cookie Monster" by my family.

Think about when you eat sugary treats. Are you bored? Dealing with some stress? Just craving some sugar? The first step is to be aware of your mindset at the time.

I work in several different offices. There are usually some sugary treats around. I indulge occasionally, and I usually log it first. That alone will stop me sometimes.

Otherwise, I just eat something that is more in line with my eating plan. I pack a lunch and take a cooler with me every day. I also carry my preferred snacks - jerky, boiled eggs, nuts, string cheese. I will eat one of those snacks instead of a doughnut or a cookie.

And drink water - lots of water. I also use Mio water enhancer or buy drinks like VitaminWater. I am more inclined to drink if the water has some flavor.

Will send you a friend request.
  • gam3rguy
    DaniMerc72 wrote: »
    Happy Friday! Anyone doing anything fun this weekend?
    Slacking and playing video games here.

• nossmf
    So Friday I never actually left the house as it was snowing all day long, just cobbled together dinner out of whatever was in the cabinets and spent the day chilling. I think in the last six months there have been a grand total of about three days I didn't leave the house for any reason, just stay home in my PJ's and veg in front of the television with my wife. Good times, good times...

But yesterday I did spend half an hour clearing my driveway before hitting the gym for squats and deadlifts, swapping back to doing five singles with progressively heavier weight rather than five triplets with the same weight. Not sure how much bang for the buck I'm getting, but it felt good to move the weight AND not feel injured before, during or after.
  • nossmf

Personally, I find it takes a 2-part approach:

1. Try substituting out something else sweet, such as fruit or cinnamon toast or semi-sweet chocolate chips which get old fast and encourage less eating, along with...
    2. Pre-measure out small amounts of the real stuff. Total denial is difficult, but by pre-measuring some you can control the amount of calories yet still indulge occasionally.
  • mcemino2
    mcemino2 Posts: 427 Member
    KISS concert tonight!!!
    g8v1831ngnwv.jpg

Hope it was a good show! saw them in the early 90's in the no makeup phase.
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 980 Member
    edited February 2020

I was diagnosed with borderline diabetes in February last year. I also have a massively sweet tooth. So I adopted a "cold turkey" approach - I try to completely avoid food containing processed sugar. I am more confident in my ability to abstain than my ability to moderate. I still eat a lot of fruit and veg, so get quite a lot of naturally occurring sugar.

The good news is that my approach has worked for me for the last year, The diabetes is in remission, with no drugs needed- my recent 1AC readings have been well below the threshold for pre-diabetes.

I suspect he most important part of my lifestyle changes was the weight loss rather than the no processed sugar thing (I have lost 40 pounds). However, I've found an approach that works for me.
  • gam3rguy
    "22 Minute Hard Corps Resistance 2! & Brute Force Blue Line Fitness Series: Total Body AMRAP 20”!!! 60#!!!
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member

This is a challenge for me as well. I've identified some of the triggers that lead to my snacking and I try break that habit loop. I'm far more likely to eat sweets if I"m very fatigued (like after a swim workout) and sitting in front of the TV or at the computer.

So I try to leave room in my calorie budget to allow for a protein drink that I consume as a treat in the evening. It really reduces my urge to snack on other sugary foods.
  • D13ntj3
    D13ntj3 Posts: 2 Member
    Hi all, can I join you please? I've just turned 40 last week :smile:
    In the past years, I have been tracking my habits on and off. Every time, after a couple of months, I fall back into less healthy habits and it would be great if I can keep it up this time. That's why I thought it might be good to chat with like-minded people, as my husband is not into health or fitness at all.
    I am married and have 2 kids, 4 and 7 years old. I work almost full time, mostly home-office but some days I travel by car. My goal is to run my first half-marathon by October.
  • nickpnh
    nickpnh Posts: 111 Member
    8 days of abs,done longest commitment I've kept to myself yet... baby steps
  • nossmf
    edited February 2020
    Welcome, @D13ntj3!
  • caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Happy Monday kids. Full training underway now. I am confirmed by the US Powerlifting to compete. I am excited and ready to HULK smash some steel. The goal is to open my deadlift with 125 kilos(275lbs), 72.5 kilos (160lbs), and 45.5 kilos for Squat. The deadlift and bench are more attainable than these dang squats. I am interacting with an experienced PL coach in Texas. He reviewed my videos and provided invaluable feedback. I may get these darn squats under control by May. The dogs and I had a long walk in the woods and they were pooped and I still wanted more scenery. Oh well, another day in my crazy life. Welcome newbies. Have a great day.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    nossmf wrote: »
    Welcome, @D13ntj3!

Ditto. Good to have another runner in the Club.