Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

The most polarizing food: where do you stand?

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,724 Member
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    I will play........ Natto.

(snip image for reply length)

Good play ! ;)

I finally tried some recently, at a restaurant, after being curious about it for years (just not quite curious enough to search for it outside my usual shopping places). The waitress tried to talk me out of ordering it! :lol:

Maybe scary looking, but tastes good IMO.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

(snip image for reply length)

Good play ! ;)

I finally tried some recently, at a restaurant, after being curious about it for years (just not quite curious enough to search for it outside my usual shopping places). The waitress tried to talk me out of ordering it! :lol:

Maybe scary looking, but tastes good IMO.

Interesting. I'm also curious about it and would try it, but indeed everyone assures you that it's terrible.

On the other hand, I have 0 current interest in trying durian.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,023 Member
    While I'm typically a pretty open-minded eater and can get past a funky smell, I have a really strong deep-seated aversion to slimy food. So I would have to vote "no" on natto.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    I like them, but I can't eat one all at once. JUST TO SWEET. They do however make minis and those are perfect.
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lofthouse-Mini-Frosted-Sugar-Cookies-20ct/20670307
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member

Natto_%20Aflo%20Co.%2C%20Ltd.%20%3A%20Alamy%20Stock%20Photo.jpg

Looks good to me!
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    edited February 2020
    Absolute fav. soup. Beef Tripe.

From this....
    tripe-56a8a78d3df78cf7729f6efd.jpg

To this....
    20090728-tripe-soup-primary.jpg

@just_Tomek
    I’ve eaten some pretty funky things my liver loving friend! - but tripe is the one thing on my list that I can’t do!

I tried it in a restaurant in downtown NYC and I spit it out on my plate. My husband still says it was prepared incorrectly because it tasted like 🤮

I dunno. Maybe if it’s hidden in chocolate fondue and chased by some tequila. Maybe.

Ps- I still love haggis. 😬
  • Safari_Gal_
    Steak tartare? 😋

02yig2rnyybm.jpeg
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,926 Member
    Tripe, liver, brains, kidney, steak tartare - all an extremely polarised NO from me. :s
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,982 Member
    Tripe, liver, brains, kidney, steak tartare - all an extremely polarised NO from me. :s

I'll do liver with onions once in a while, but big no to the rest! Though my friend refuses the liver, saying its the garbage disposal for the body lol
  • pancakerunner

From this....

To this....

@just_Tomek
    I’ve eaten some pretty funky things my liver loving friend! - but tripe is the one thing on my list that I can’t do!

I tried it in a restaurant in downtown NYC and I spit it out on my plate. My husband still says it was prepared incorrectly because it tasted like 🤮

I dunno. Maybe if it’s hidden in chocolate fondue and chased by some tequila. Maybe.

Curious: does tripe have the same texture as morel mushrooms??? What does it taste like?
  • Safari_Gal_

From this....

To this....

@just_Tomek

Curious: does tripe have the same texture as morel mushrooms??? What does it taste like?

@pancakerunner /—- well it depends on how it’s prepared...I didn’t like it when i tried it. I don’t think it’s comparable to morels. To me it had a squishy texture that tasted like stomach acid. It probably wasn’t cleaned or prepared right ...next time I’m going to Canada to try @just_Tomek ‘s 😉
    I say try it and report back! 😬
  • pancakerunner
    hdzu91ketp74.jpg
  • chelleedub
    chelleedub Posts: 50 Member
    Fois gras. I'm a hard no.
  • GummiMundi
    GummiMundi Posts: 396 Member
    Just got caught up on the whole food vs "non food" food thing. Which brings me to one polarizing question of which we should probably be debating about by now.
    Cake or Death?

Apologies in advance, I know this specific comment was posted months ago, but I'm only reading the thread now: I <3 Eddie! :)

Regarding the OP, I have no opinion on those cookies because I never had them, but I'd be willing to try them at least once.

As far as "polarizing foods" go, my take has always been "like it or leave it". We don't all have to like the same things, and it all comes down to personal preferences. :)
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    GummiMundi wrote: »
    Just got caught up on the whole food vs "non food" food thing. Which brings me to one polarizing question of which we should probably be debating about by now.
    Cake or Death?

Apologies in advance, I know this specific comment was posted months ago, but I'm only reading the thread now: I <3 Eddie! :)

Regarding the OP, I have no opinion on those cookies because I never had them, but I'd be willing to try them at least once.

As far as "polarizing foods" go, my take has always been "like it or leave it". We don't all have to like the same things, and it all comes down to personal preferences. :)

If you have Death by Chocolate, you can have your cake and eat it too. :)
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    chelleedub wrote: »

Why?

I can't answer for the poster, but some people find the process of producing the fois gras to be particularly inhumane. Even a lot of people who normally eat animal products find this a bit too far on the cruelty side.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member

Why?

I can't answer for the poster, but some people find the process of producing the fois gras to be particularly inhumane. Even a lot of people who normally eat animal products find this a bit too far on the cruelty side.

That's pretty much my reason for avoiding fois gras.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,724 Member

Why?

I may be wrong, but I was under the impression from another post that the poster's a vegetarian. That tends to make fois gras kind of a hard no, no matter what other sensitivities may enter into it. ;)
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,926 Member
    it is banned in several countries because of the cruelty involved in force feeding.

I dont eat liver anyway so already a No from me - but would be a double no on account of that.