Serial Starters

Options

Replies

• gemwolf110
    gemwolf110 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    brennerjlb wrote: »
    Hi!
    just popping in. Enjoying all the posts.
    Good news on the crown - the main part of it is intact, so she was able to grind it down as it did not affect my bite and send me on my way. I feel like I just gained a couple of hundred $!
    Waves to all! Have a great Thursday!
    Lynn

That is great news! dental work can be not so fun!
    Good morning,

Lynn - Great News!! I am usually not so lucky.

I asked a neighbor if I could join them on their next trip to Walmart and he said I needed to conquer my fears. It is not in the best location, I will try and find a closer parking spot. Have my shopping list - Hi ho! Hi ho! Its off to Walmart I go and I am taking the balls I found again in my purse - dedededede -dedededede - earworm for the day - if it makes you walk with greater energy then perfect.

Soccer is tomorrow, so knitting it is. My bacon basil quiche worked out well (onion was toast).

Wishing all a great Thursday.

Yeah I so don't like to go grocery shopping...have you thought about ordering ahead-curbside pickup? Delivery? The quiche sounds delicious! And from you other post I am wanting to get some girl scout cookies...bulk up and freeze the majority for later...BUT I got some of my Aunt famous cookies. She is the cookie backing goddess.

mkculs13 wrote: »
    Greetings to everyone here. I'm Maureen, also in WI (one of you is in Chilton, I noticed). I started here in 2017, lost 20-25 lbs, regained 10 . . . started back in 2019, didn't get far (had to start a new account). But I am back and more determined than ever. I thought that in 2017, too--couldn't *imagine* falling off track, and yet I did.

I started a very long post all about myself, but really, I'd like to know more about each of you. I see some folks have stuck by this group a long time--that's great.

So, here are my basics. Please feel free to share similar info in as much or as little detail as possible. FYI, I *love* learning about different places, so where you are from (even just the country) would be great to know.

Mom to 3 ( male, 30; male, 22; female, 18)
    Raised in the southern US but in WI the past 33 years.
    Happily divorced.
    Now living near Madison, WI.
    4 fur babies--two cats, 1 dog, and 1 puppy.
    Have traveled for pleasure to Europe, East Asia, and Southeast Asia.
    I love to drive. My grandpa designed the GM Firebird I. :)
    Hoping to move south within about 3 years. No plans to retire, though. I LOVE teaching.
    Lost my dad this past fall; miss him a lot. Mom and all 4 sibs still alive and kicking.
    I travel to Florida several times a year to visit them.
    My favorite color is pink/magenta.
    My birthday (61st coming up) is St. Patrick's Day. I'm 5/8ths Irish and a natural red-head.

Ok, let me know if you want to know anything else.

SW: 231
    CW: 227
    GW: 150

Welcome to the group! It's going to be great to get to know you! Got quite a few ppl in this group that have furkids - got 4 dogs myself. They are the best!!! I was a member of this group for awhile then kinda poofed (life got kinda hectic, still is but I need to make checking in here a priority).
    arniedog74 wrote: »
    I’m feeling like a jerk. A young lady at work (22) has decided to get in shape and lose weight. Yes, that is wonderful. She goes to gym 5-6 days a week, personal trainer 3 days a week. Sometimes, she goes to gym twice a day and hikes in between. She is eating 800-1,000 cal/day, almost vegetarian diet. She has lost 22 pounds and 20 inches in 4 weeks...yes, 4 weeks. Everyone keeps cheering her on and telling her how proud they are. But, I just can’t encourage her. She has a heart condition. She has an actual device in her heart, that she just had batteries replaced in, just a few months ago. She pushes herself at the gym, to the point of having “episodes “ with her heart. I don’t want to be a jerk. And, I’m sorry if that’s how I come across. Sorry. I just had to get that off my chest. Yes, people tell her to take rest days. She refuses. Doesn’t think she needs to. She even pushing her dogs. They’ve walked 8 miles in 2 days. And, she’s going tomorrow. Ok. I’m really sorry. This makes me sound like a jerk.

NOPE you are not a jerk you are looking out for her health, that is a lot of exercise and a huge amount of weight in a short time frame for one person without a heart condition. Does anyone have access to a close friend/family that might be able to intervene and help? Who is her trainer?? I would think he or she would have more sense to be not so aggressive with the workouts!

• gemwolf110
    Options
    Good afternoon,

Late but not forgotten.

A "nap" took longer than I planned. Dog is taken care of early and she is quite pleased.

Dawn a lot of good answers re coworker so I just hope this young lady doesnt run herself into the ground - we ultimately cannot control what others do.

More quiche on tap - 2 boxes of Girl Scout Cookies to share... are they considered a side dish?

Nice to catch up with you - we finally have some sun so walking is next.

Yes, I'd consider them a side dish! lol
    mkculs13 wrote: »
    Hi, Lana--I just joined yesterday. Or maybe Friday. I had a 3 day weekend and didn't keep track :)

The pic is my now 6-mo-old Aussie, Skye. I have an 8 year old Border Collie/Aussie mix, Radar, but he is a bit camera shy. I'll try to get one when he's not looking--but he watches every move I make, so it's hard. Radar is timid and a real homebody--although he loves the dog park. Skye is bold and exuberant. We are doing obedience, just started agility, and will do a Herding Instinct test on Saturday, 3/7--unless my son ends up running at Platteville instead of Wartburg, b/c I can get to Platteville to see him. He's a college senior (1/2 semester behind his class, though) and has been having a great indoor track season, so if I can see him at this last local venue, I will.

I've noticed all the references to pups and a few horse pics. I've read back some to get to know who is here. What a supportive group. And long standing.

I bought the Beck book online after I saw it referenced here, and I'll get started for real tomorrow. I made my ARC card and have read it today as scheduled. But I didn't have an index card set or a notebook--I can pick those up tomorrow. It's frustrating to have all those checklists ONLINE. So I've written to Beck through the website and have asked if there are downloadable copies I could use. I'll let you know.

I think I have a sense of who Lana, Sara, Lynn, and Tracy are, sort of. And a few other names that have cropped up more recently. I know the best way to get to know folks is to check in regularly, and I will.

In the meantime, I'm into day 2 of logging and staying beneath my calorie limit. I won't get in all the exercise I want right away; I have really fallen off the exercise wagon this winter, jogging only 1x/week for the last 6 weeks. Last week I jogged twice, and will do that this week and maybe next, then add a third day. Gotta get back to walking, too. I have a great 3.2 mile trail literally in my backyard, so no excuses once the ice is gone. Otherwise, I have to jog/walk on streets and sidewalks, which I enjoy much, much less.

Sorry for the tome. Looking forward to spending time with all of you.

Welcome to the group! Your doggies is SOOOO adorable! Yes definitely check in daily! I had the most success when I did. I'll be stopping in more often. What is the Beck Book? I think i may have missed the reference here....I've gotta get back into walking/jogging/running... My hope is to one day get back into running 5K's most I've walked/jogged was 10 miles- pipe dream is to run at least a half marathon at some point in my lifetime.
  • gemwolf110
    Options
    *** MONDAY MARCH 2ND ***

Here I am up in the middle of the night - woke up and I am anxious and finding it hard to get myself back to sleep.
    DH has tortured me yet again on Saturday, but for the last time, about us getting back together. Then the switch in his brain flips again on Sunday, and everything is different.

I can't do this any more, so tomorrow I will get the divorce moved from the back burner onto the front burner....Ugh.

Sara, I think I need to send Leandro and that cute new Cabana Boy off to Brazil to bring back Magic Spell Dust for me to stop loving my DH and move on to the next phase of my life.

They should be back by Monday Happy Hour at the Club....

BBL *tossing sarong and steamy bodice ripper onto my favorite lounge chair...*

Lana

Lana, so sorry to hear that DH is putting you through! I'll have to see about sending you some of my Aunt's cookies with the newest addition to the Cabana Boy club. Sending ((hugs)).
  • gemwolf110
    Options
    Hi.. sorta feel like I'm interrupting some lifelong friends deep conversation by posting here, sorry, hope it's ok to join! I've been tracking calories a week, longest I've ever tried this method. I've lost weight before, gained some back and for almost a year I haven't stuck to any solid plan.
    I need some help to adjust my stinking thinking today. A MFP blog led to what I thought was another blog but must've been an ad, it was for some diet pill that was on shark tank. I'm just feeling all kinds of negative after I saw that and longed for an easier quicker fix.. now I'm feeling hungry, whiney, wanting some sweet thing to soothe me and Add GUILTY I'm only starting week 2 and I'm already wanting to quit. 🙄😥 I know my reasons to keep going are so good. I know my goals are good.. i know i need to take baby steps and not overwhelm myself.. I just don't feel like I'll ever succeed today. Can anyone help me?

Welcome to the group! It's not easy, especially at the very beginning! Keep on checking in here and other groups too! Just gotta keep going and stick with it. Once it becomes a habit it's a bit easier. Make one SMART goal a week. SMART goals are goals that are Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant and Time bound. Slow and steady wins the race. You are changing your lifestyle and it doesn't happen overnight.
  • Iamthekateanator
    Iamthekateanator Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thanks @gemwolf110 !
    Also I saw now I'm not the only new person to this thread.
    I will try to make my goals SMART.
  • mkculs13
    mkculs13 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    @lamkatenator, your babies are beautiful. I can't tell which end of that dog is which!!
  • gemwolf110
    Options
    Thanks @gemwolf110 !
    Also I saw now I'm not the only new person to this thread.
    I will try to make my goals SMART.

Your very welcome! Feel free to post them here if you feel comfortable to do so.
  • gemwolf110
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Good evening all!

Finally settled at home cooked myself a 3 cheese Cauliflower pizza. It came out good. Ate 1/2 of it(serving size is 1/2). First time trying cauliflower. It’s an interesting taste. Since I was very busy over the weekend I didn’t get a chance to grocery shop so I got it in today. Bought a bunch of frozen veggies that I needed to stock up on as I was out, got a chicken toaster and salad. Ready to conquer the week. I also got some of those chobani flip yogurts to have instead of my ice cream during the week. Will see how they taste. I did get some ice cream to have ready (my “friend” of the month is here) :neutral: but will be balancing it all out with veggies and fruit. If I do eat it. Going to try not to though.

Edit: that Chobani flip cookies and cream Greek yogurt is hands down the BEST. Think I wasted $$ on that ice cream lol
  • Tilliesmommy1
    Tilliesmommy1 Posts: 5,333 Member
    Options
    Busy day here online,

Missy good to see you - love your new dog photo - is that 3 or 4 dogs in the photo?

Spent time this afternoon crochet/knitting. The ladies would like me to join another group, but as I am "back to work" April 1st I dont want to start too many things I cant finish. I do have a heart project for the gift bags they make for those who are home bound - need to make 22 buy November - already have 1 done so seems very acheivable.

Got my W2 forms in the mail now I can get my taxes done.
    bm1jchc2m0gf.png

ooh how to celebrate!! Hmmm

Wishing all a good night.
  • gemwolf110
    Options
    Busy day here online,

Missy good to see you - love your new dog photo - is that 3 or 4 dogs in the photo?

Spent time this afternoon crochet/knitting. The ladies would like me to join another group, but as I am "back to work" April 1st I dont want to start too many things I cant finish. I do have a heart project for the gift bags they make for those who are home bound - need to make 22 buy November - already have 1 done so seems very acheivable.

Got my W2 forms in the mail now I can get my taxes done.
    bm1jchc2m0gf.png

ooh how to celebrate!! Hmmm

Wishing all a good night.

3 couldn’t fit the 4th one

03z2nri6sgd4.jpeg
  • arniedog74
    arniedog74 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    holly1283 wrote: »
    It sounds as if she is feeding off all the attention she is getting both misplaced positive and proving the negative attention wrong. if you are close enough to the other co-workers encourage them not to give the attention. By the way an August appt.is too far away but you have no control over that.

She craves attention. She will do everything she can, to make herself center of attention. I have tried talking other lady that she is close to. She feels, that the younger girl needs the encouragement. She has had some pretty bad luck lately. So, we are all using that has her reason for her determination and focus.

• arniedog74
    Options
    Dawn - I wonder if she is bi-polar and without care or without effective care + meds.
    My DH is bi-polar, so I am aware of some of the symptoms, which could fit what you've been telling us.

She may be delusional; she sounds as if she has invincible and grandiose thoughts/moods/spells.

Also what Holly suggested about the attention fits in here too.

22 years old is so young. I feel bad for her. But Bi-Polar and Borderline Personality Disorder are SO hard to treat because one of the qualities is that feeling of invincibility/"I am right and no one else is" is so strong that the person cannot be convinced otherwise.

Lana

251.6 today
    258.8 highest

I have had almost all of these same thoughts. She has to be center of attention. Always. Bi Polar could be possible. I was thinking manic depression. She refuses her meds. Says it messes with her feelings and sleep. I get that. Been there. But, just quitting, it’s really messing with her. She is slipping on food. So, maybe, she will slow down. Maybe.

Sorry for your DH troubles. Good for the kick in the butt to get that Divorce being moved to the front. Great WI. Hugs

• LanaCabana537
    LanaCabana537 Posts: 3,848 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options

**** TUESDAY MARCH 3RD *****

Hi there Ladies~~

I am SO regretting getting Chinese food for dinner and then eating all of it (at 5PM then 9PM).....Look at my weight today! Also I drank a can of Hawaiian Punch with it. Between the salt and the corn syrup, my body just sponged up the calories and water.

Today is a travel day. I have to be very smart at the airport...

Waving to Sara and Dawn and Kathryn and Lynn and Tracy in Tennessee and Nikki, Laura, and AnnLiz across the Pond, and Holly, and Tracey and Saltine in Canada, and Runa and Meghan and Missy and Maureen and Kate and anyone else who stops by later on~~

Lana

255.4? today
    258.8 highest
  • holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Don't be too hard on yourself about the Chinese. It's mostly the salt for the weight issue. Drink lots of liquids when you can. Not so much on the plane. Hope you had the strength to do what needs to be done with DH. Don't know the particulars but I was married to an alcoholic for 35 years so I can relate to emotional scars. For me it is part of my relationship with food. You have a good support group here. But make good choices for YOU. Have a good day folks.
  • Twiley510
    Twiley510 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Glad to see you are all here and doing well.

I failed to lose and, in fact, have steadily gained since my last post. My trip is next week and I am 30 lbs heavier than I had hoped to be. (for the newbies, I previously had 6 weeks to lose 25 lbs)

I am fully aware of the choices I am making and seem to be currently unable to choose healthy food. I have determined that I no longer want to garner attention. Historically, being fat makes me invisible. Deeply ingrained behavior has taken over leading to this failure.

Here's hoping spring will bring a renewed sense of energy and purpose. Taking a break from focusing on myself and intend to focus on cleaning and organizing my living space as soon as I can get a moment from my other obligations.

Everyone here inspires me every day. Please continue to inhabit this Cabana forever, friends!
  • Tilliesmommy1
    Tilliesmommy1 Posts: 5,333 Member
    Options
    Good morning,

Thank you Lana for starting us. Sirens around midnight woke me up and there I was.....

Taxes and organization like Tracey/Twiley are on my calendar for March.

Lana thank you so much for remembering names. Even in person I stink at it. I have to accept that it just is so please do not be offended.

Missy - what lovely dogs! Can 2 of them fit on that bed?

Neighbor who has been wonderful and his dog are moving to Illinois in 2 weeks - I will offer him boxes and get him a Target gift card as a Housewarming present. His price is let me know he got there safely. We shall see if that happens....

Wave to all who follow.

• gemwolf110
    Options
    Good morning,

Thank you Lana for starting us. Sirens around midnight woke me up and there I was.....

Taxes and organization like Tracey/Twiley are on my calendar for March.

Lana thank you so much for remembering names. Even in person I stink at it. I have to accept that it just is so please do not be offended.

Missy - what lovely dogs! Can 2 of them fit on that bed?

Neighbor who has been wonderful and his dog are moving to Illinois in 2 weeks - I will offer him boxes and get him a Target gift card as a Housewarming present. His price is let me know he got there safely. We shall see if that happens....

Wave to all who follow.

At least two, I've seen all 4 end up in the bed but not for long lol
  • gemwolf110
    Options
    Twiley510 wrote: »
    Glad to see you are all here and doing well.

I failed to lose and, in fact, have steadily gained since my last post. My trip is next week and I am 30 lbs heavier than I had hoped to be. (for the newbies, I previously had 6 weeks to lose 25 lbs)

I am fully aware of the choices I am making and seem to be currently unable to choose healthy food. I have determined that I no longer want to garner attention. Historically, being fat makes me invisible. Deeply ingrained behavior has taken over leading to this failure.

Here's hoping spring will bring a renewed sense of energy and purpose. Taking a break from focusing on myself and intend to focus on cleaning and organizing my living space as soon as I can get a moment from my other obligations.

Everyone here inspires me every day. Please continue to inhabit this Cabana forever, friends!

Spring has this way of feeling renewed. Or at least for me it does. I'm so in need of some spring cleaning. Planning on deep cleaning my home and diet. I went food shopping last night got myself healthy meals and alternatives. Had my scrambled eggs with chicken sausage for breakfast with apple mango juice, and a Vitamin D pill. Then lunch was about 4 oz of chicken, 1.5 cups of asian medley, and 1/2 of a sweet potato, and chocolate milk. Plan on having a nice salad for dinner followed by the Chobani Flip S'mores flavor with a side of strawberries and blueberries. I also obtained a nice recipe from a coworker for making my own balsamic dressing. And I have yet to have any of that ice cream that I bought...thinking i should have skipped buying it...
  • mkculs13
    mkculs13 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Howdy, all. Taking a "lunch break," haha. We don't get breaks where I am--but it's my choice to be here, and my schedule (6-7 straight hours with students) has planning time first and last thing each day, which I enjoy b/c it gives me more flexibility for appts, etc. And, teens are so fun, so having some downtime with them (supervising during their lunch) is usually entertaining.

I've lost "nearly 7 lbs," haha, since last Friday. I must have been retaining fluids or something. It's unusual for me to show a big loss like this, even at the start, but I'm not complaining. I just know that it will smooth out to showing 4 oz losses most days, if any--or the occasional leap up due to water retention. I'm over 60 now and don't have those hormonal swings to mess things up, so my weigh ins have been relatively predictable over the past decade or so. It's when I don't weigh in daily that I get into trouble.

Anyway, we had a little snow and not as warm today. Can't decide what I'll do for exercise; I was hoping to walk but it doesn't look very inviting. Oh, well; I'll figure it out. And I'm going to shop online for pick up (I'm still in the "free pick up" category for now). Trying to think of some things I should add to my usual list, now that I'm back to being more calorie conscious. I often eat the same thing, but that rut can get me into trouble when losing weight, so I need to find ways to mix it up without creating temptations I don't need. Remember, I don't cook, so my options are somewhat more limited. . .

Have a good day, all.
  • arniedog74
    Options
    Missy- great to see you and, your pups! My co workers Dad is her only family we know. He does try to tell her to eat more. The more people tell her this, the angrier she gets. And, the more she tries to find someone to defend her. I honestly had my chance to.say something, today. I only said, “we worry about you” I have a feeling, she is eating more than she is admitting. I’m just going to keep my thoughts to myself. Her trainer is going on vacation for 2 weeks and she’s wanting to skip the gym. Maybe, she will take a bit of a break....