March 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Camaramandy648
    Camaramandy648 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I think they would want to be part of something so significant @Camaramandy648 as your achievements mean as much to them as theirs do to you! Admittedly when I ran my half I told nobody, ran it, met my SO at at work and went "guess what I did today?" but a marathon is so different!

@TheMrWobbly one would think. But. They're a teenager and a tween. I think they'd want to go for my sisters, but I don't imagine they'd enjoy the packet pickup or waiting around for me. I'll have to talk to them this evening and see where they stand.

If I remember correctly your daughter is autistic. So is mine. You might consider finding a shorter local race or Parkrun near you to give her a glimpse of what to expect in a race environment. This was helpful for my daughter when I raced the 5k. She had already been to Parkrun several times. Unexpected happenings can be problematic for her. Getting to my race early and walking around to see how things were set up helped immensely. We also came up with a location where she would go if she got overwhelmed (this happened several times due to the volume of the live music.). Having a shorter practice race can help her adjust to the race environment.

This is a great idea!

Years ago, while she was still diagnosed as having "just severe adhd," (this is VERY common, especially in girls), I signed her up for Girls on the Run. She trained two days a week after school and I trained during the week on lunch breaks. We ended up running the whole Bass Pro 5K together!

Of course, it occurred to me much later in years that probably the reason she HATED the whole experience was because of all of the sensory stimuli as well as the physical effort and not seeing the point in what we were doing, all the people, etc. etc. etc.

She reminded me yesterday - "Hey remember that time I accidentally ran a whole 5K?"

Anyway, prepping her for the race environment is a great idea. ;)

We carry ear plugs everywhere and she has some stim toys and chewelry to help her with sensory overload. But as I’m sure you know, some days are harder than others.

@emmamcgarity how old is she?

Yep, some days are harder. Madison is vehemently AGAINST earplugs but she has some nice headphones that are also noise cancelling. She usually has some sort of comfort object with her as well. And pockets full of random things she finds that she likes to fidget with.... Autism is a beast but honestly, I wouldn't change her for anything. She's magic. She's got superpowers. She can do things other people can't do. She has such a totally different, unimaginable experience of the world than neurotypical people and I never cease to be fascinated by her.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I think they would want to be part of something so significant @Camaramandy648 as your achievements mean as much to them as theirs do to you! Admittedly when I ran my half I told nobody, ran it, met my SO at at work and went "guess what I did today?" but a marathon is so different!

@TheMrWobbly one would think. But. They're a teenager and a tween. I think they'd want to go for my sisters, but I don't imagine they'd enjoy the packet pickup or waiting around for me. I'll have to talk to them this evening and see where they stand.

If I remember correctly your daughter is autistic. So is mine. You might consider finding a shorter local race or Parkrun near you to give her a glimpse of what to expect in a race environment. This was helpful for my daughter when I raced the 5k. She had already been to Parkrun several times. Unexpected happenings can be problematic for her. Getting to my race early and walking around to see how things were set up helped immensely. We also came up with a location where she would go if she got overwhelmed (this happened several times due to the volume of the live music.). Having a shorter practice race can help her adjust to the race environment.

This is a great idea!

Years ago, while she was still diagnosed as having "just severe adhd," (this is VERY common, especially in girls), I signed her up for Girls on the Run. She trained two days a week after school and I trained during the week on lunch breaks. We ended up running the whole Bass Pro 5K together!

Of course, it occurred to me much later in years that probably the reason she HATED the whole experience was because of all of the sensory stimuli as well as the physical effort and not seeing the point in what we were doing, all the people, etc. etc. etc.

She reminded me yesterday - "Hey remember that time I accidentally ran a whole 5K?"

We carry ear plugs everywhere and she has some stim toys and chewelry to help her with sensory overload. But as I’m sure you know, some days are harder than others.

Yep, some days are harder. Madison is vehemently AGAINST earplugs but she has some nice headphones that are also noise cancelling. She usually has some sort of comfort object with her as well. And pockets full of random things she finds that she likes to fidget with.... Autism is a beast but honestly, I wouldn't change her for anything. She's magic. She's got superpowers. She can do things other people can't do. She has such a totally different, unimaginable experience of the world than neurotypical people and I never cease to be fascinated by her.

She will be 19 tomorrow. Yes.. superpowers is accurate. She’s very special. She keeps the ear plugs in her pocket but her preference is actually a set of ear protection from her Dad that he uses at the shooting range. Her pockets are always full with items she finds interesting. Lots of pretty rocks mostly. She started volunteering at Parkrun after several weeks of watching. She just wanted to be sure she volunteered in a position that allowed her not to talk to anyone.... so she scans barcodes and is rewarded with treats from the coffee shop. The community there has been a great way for her to have new experiences. She has no interest in running, but she’s interested in walking the course at some point to see where all the runners go while she’s waiting for us all to return.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options

This is a great idea!

She will be 19 tomorrow. Yes.. superpowers is accurate. She’s very special. She keeps the ear plugs in her pocket but her preference is actually a set of ear protection from her Dad that he uses at the shooting range. Her pockets are always full with items she finds interesting. Lots of pretty rocks mostly. She started volunteering at Parkrun after several weeks of watching. She just wanted to be sure she volunteered in a position that allowed her not to talk to anyone.... so she scans barcodes and is rewarded with treats from the coffee shop. The community there has been a great way for her to have new experiences. She has no interest in running, but she’s interested in walking the course at some point to see where all the runners go while she’s waiting for us all to return.

Just wanted to say, I have a coworker who is autistic and he is one of my favorite people. He does have superpowers! I write for a video game series with a twenty year history, and he has an infallible memory for obscure details which otherwise even the writers who have been there since the beginning tend to forget. He tends to say things sometimes which confuse or offend people who don’t understand the way he thinks, but he’s a great part of our team. The world is a richer place because non-neurotypical people are in it!
  • hamsterwheel6
    hamsterwheel6 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    March goal: get back to running 2-3 days per week. 5K in April

3/3 - Ran 1.76 miles (total run: 1.76 miles)
    3/4 - Walk 3.3 miles (total walk: 3.3 miles)

Thank you to everyone who commented on Emma. I have my moments where I'm ok, then something so routine as walking into the bedroom at the end of the day and she isn't behind me or her not laying under my feet as I'm on the couch studying....sigh.

Sorry I missed the post about Emma. It’s heartbreaking I know. Lots of hugs to you. You certainly can have as many as you like. You’ve had a rough time lately! Glad you are back to walking and running!
  • hamsterwheel6
    Options
    @RunsOnEspresso @LoveyChar

Yes! So glad you understand. This is the first time I’ve actually said anything to the owners, I usually just give them a look, which I’m certain they don’t care about. I just had enough I guess as this is not the first and won’t be the last.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry but I can't agree with the 'Vincent goes to Boston' idea. I can only get behind it if we go with "Pastor V rocks Boston", can't have him being confused with another Vincent. Seriously happy to support you on this Pastor V, don't dismiss us :smiley:

This!
  • hamsterwheel6
    Options
    @RunsOnEspresso @LoveyChar

Yes! So glad you understand. This is the first time I’ve actually said anything to the owners, I usually just give them a look, which I’m certain they don’t care about. I just had enough I guess as this is not the first and won’t be the last.

Some lady once called out to me that I should not run by her dog because he's mean. I said not my problem and kept running. If your dog is mean you definitely should have him on a leash and controlled when out in the neighborhood.

Omg, for sure! Ugh. That is so unbelievably wrong on her part.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent i think we all believe you can. I know I do. Once you hit your mark, if you’re fine with it, we can all organize something!

So I asked my friend today, “do you feel like running in the middle of the night through the woods in the humidity and heat of Arkansas in July for fifteen or thirty one miles?”

She’s down for 15 so I’m doing the 15 also. I’m pretty excited. There will be glow sticks.

GLOW-STICKS!!!! That’s so awesome! Sounds fun (except the heat and humidity part).
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    2 miles tonight total at my running class. On the agenda tonight was warm up then alternating 30 second intervals of “conversational pace” with 30 second intervals of “comfortably hard”. Injured leg felt more tired than the other but leg felt stronger than last week. I’m going to call that improvement. Training plan tomorrow calls for 3 miles but we are planning to take the kids to the zoo. So I’ll have to see how much running time I have available afterward.