• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    More on the St. Louis student (from the Chi Trib):

"Health officials in Illinois and Missouri are trying to track down who came into close contact with a St. Louis woman who tested positive for the coronavirus after flying into O’Hare International Airport, staying with a friend here, then taking an Amtrak train to her home last week.

The woman, in her 20s, flew into O’Hare on Monday and took an Amtrak train to St. Louis on Wednesday, according to Missouri and St. Louis County officials. Officials did not know where she stayed in the Chicago area, or how she got to Union Station to board the Amtrak 303 train....

Meanwhile, Amtrak issued a statement saying the rail service is “working in close contact with public health and emergency management teams to have the best available information to be able to share with our customers and employees who might be affected.”

Amtrak said it was notifying passengers and employees who may have been on the same train. “As a precaution, we have taken the train out of service for comprehensive cleaning and disinfection, and are also working to do a thorough disinfection of the Chicago and St. Louis stations,” the statement said."

Given the number of people who were brought home from programs in Italy, it seems like it would make sense to test them immediately (but we seem to not have enough tests for that). Locally, I know Loyola U brought home students who were studying in Rome, and so did various other local schools and U of I. And as mentioned earlier, one of the known cases in Chicago is a student who was brought home from a Vanderbilt (in Nashville) study abroad program in Italy.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/breaking/ct-coronavirus-illinois-universities-20200301-qjd35y5e7zconarnyqrwuw6njq-story.html

AmTrak has a station a block away from where I live and that train goes through here (the train goes North-South from Chicago to New Orleans). Should I panic yet?!

If your daily routine includes hanging around the station and hugging randos getting off of the City of New Orleans then it might be OK to panic, otherwise you're probably still OK.

"Hugging on the City of New Orleans
    Illinois Central, Monday morning rail..."

(I've always liked that the song mentions Kankakee.)

Since you're in Chi, I assume you know it was Steve Goodman, not Arlo Guthrie, and a real trip report. :)

Huge fan of Steve Goodman, but the sung version I think of is Willie Nelson, not Arlo.
  • DecadeDuchess
    DecadeDuchess Posts: 315 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    If anyone has trouble locating toilet paper, how about cleaning your closets of clothes that you don't intend to wear again & cut them into pieces, as a temporary replacement but be mindful, not to drop them into the toilet but the trash instead?
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    I haven't noticed any shortage of TP, but better than wasting old clothes, I have tons of mailings from political candidates that could be repurposed. Bloomberg alone (yeah, I know he's now out) is a huge supply and if I included local candidates I'd be great, and our primary isn't 'til next week (Ann, yours ends a whole week earlier, so I am kind of jealous, even if it would be nice to matter more than we normally do).

Steve Goodman song about something that is weirdly still an issue: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dF3q7o8Yjrg

https://blockclubchicago.org/2018/09/12/lincoln-towing-gets-license-revoked-by-state-regulators/

• whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Truly, I'm at zero personal stress over this, so far.

That's admirable, and I mean that sincerely.

For some reason I'm overreacting compared to my normal type of response. A friend asked me where I was 1-10, and I said 6 - only 1 (vs. 0) about personal physical danger (although I find I am way more conscious of the fact I constantly touch my face and of all the other contact I have on the L, my most likely infection vector), more like 4 for my concern about high risk people (before she died 2 years ago my mom was in assisted living in WA state, which is probably making some of this hit home), and then the stock market has been freaking me out about the economy tanking (although I may refi to my own benefit even though I think the reduced interest rates are getting insane and irresponsible).

I’m more concerned about a severe global recession than the actual virus. Although my anxiety over the virus is about. 4 on a 1-10 scale. I live in a rural part of CA that hasn’t seen any cases yet, but we get a lot of visitors from the Bay Area, so only a matter of time. I am somewhat anxious about an upcoming trip to Carlsbad, where my sister want to go out partying.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options

I do wonder if the hope that warmer weather will slow this thing down is too optimistic. My understanding is that this thing is closer to the common cold than it is to the flu, right? And I know that there are strains of the cold virus that lives just fine in hot temperatures - I've had a few summer colds in my lifetime.

Considering that it is summer/autumn in half of the world and the virus is spreading through those countries as well, I don't think that the weather has anything to do with it. Australia is just going into Autumn, so the virus spread here in Summer, and we have three confirmed deaths so far. We have schools closed down because people travelled in from overseas and didn't self-quarantine as they were instructed. And we have that stupid panic-buying paranoia throughout the country too - which is probably more dangerous than the virus itself.

I think the rest of the world is just about to realise how much we all rely on imports from China. I can only hope that causes a shift towards a more local-sourced attitude for shoppers, even once everything is back to normal.

You have to remember that the vast majority of confirmed cases in Australia are from people that contracted it overseas and brought it back with them. There have only been a few cases of person to person spread on Australian soil. Those countries experiencing the most cases are all just leaving their winter. Time will tell on whether the northern hemisphere starts experiencing less and the southern hemisphere more as the season change.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,621 Member
    Options
    I wrote the part about the government because they're trying to contain the northern outbreak by extending the quarantine. People found out about it late at night and those that live in the rest of Italy, especially college students, quickly packed up and flooded the train stations in the middle of the night and left Milan. They can be contagious and may spread the virus far and wide. Italians are used to doing what they want--the rules are for others, so now to see what happens.

I had to think of this when I saw the news of the nation wide lock down in Italy this morning.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Options
    NYS now has the highest number of Coronavirus patients... it's ok though cause we have our own sanitizer now :laugh:

0oz2hdiiv468.jpg
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    ekim2016 wrote: »
    yes, expert on TV said you can catch it over and over again. But each time should be a lighter reaction due to immunities building up.

So maybe I should hug more strangers and not less.

Problem is that first encounter with it can kill you, so... ;)

Then you won't get it again, guaranteed, eh? ;)

Recently semi-diagnosed with maybe-COPD. Loving the timing wrt possible pneumonia-causing virus. Thanks, ironic universe! 🙄

Not that worried, really: Just the 🙄 .

I just got my pneumococcal vaccine injection at my check-up last month. Would this be of benefit to you? Here in Canada, it's recommended (and free of charge) for everyone over 65.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    We recorded our first death in Canada yesterday.

A man in his 80's at a care home facility in North Vancouver. :(
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    sorry - computer hiccupped and double-posted