Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• thebabadon
    thebabadon Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »
    I don’t understand why people are stockpiling water. It’s not like the municipal water supply is suddenly going ro get turned off or infected with virus. I’m in CA and always have extra shelf-stable food on hand because of earthquake preparedness. Not to mention wildfire threats and PG&E power shutdowns. We picked up a few extra things yesterday so if we get any flu-like symptoms we can self-quarantine at home without having to go out and spread our germs around, whether they’re run of the mill flu or coronavirus. But y’all gotta quit watching the news, taking a few precautions is prudent but there is no reason to strip the store shelves.

I don't watch news anyway. But watching more news especially at this time can create more panic.
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,736 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Los Angeles County latest - 40 cases, 6 community spread. We'll see what the numbers are when testing increases.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Interestingly... all the Catholic schools and charter schools in NYC are closing next week, while the public schools remain open.

That's how it is in Chicago, but CTU is now demanding that CPS shut down too. I bet they do very soon.

I agree! The City council here is demanding public schools closed, but the mayor and chancellor of education are budging. I have a good feeling by Monday the pressure to close will be there.

As expected, our governor stepped in and ordered all public schools in the state closed.

New IL count, as tests continue to roll in, is 46 cases (14 new today), all but one of them in Cook County, the other still in Chicago metro, similar to the prior (although I expect most of the testing has been in Chicago metro vs. the rest of the state).
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    This was at the store... kinda wish I had bought it. For one, as new as this is, and as little as they know, what does it contain? And then also to have to look back on in the future to compare known information...

iszubw7r8a58.jpeg
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    Just had to share this. We are watching the championship of our state basketball tournament (televised- game is being played with limitations on spectators). During the player introductions, one player licked his fingers, wiped them on the bottom of his shoe, shook hands with the opposing player with the same hand, who then went and fist-bumped his teammates. :D Sort of comical, but not, you know?

No, not comical at all. And I have a very twist-y sense of humour. :D
  • RCPV
    RCPV Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    RCPV wrote: »
    Ruatine wrote: »
    You know what I find interesting.... the amount of disagree reacts in this thread.
    Just had to share this. We are watching the championship of our state basketball tournament (televised- game is being played with limitations on spectators). During the player introductions, one player licked his fingers, wiped them on the bottom of his shoe, shook hands with the opposing player with the same hand, who then went and fist-bumped his teammates. :D Sort of comical, but not, you know?

That is just all kinds of gross regardless of what viruses are going around.

Yes! But you seem them do it all the time. And you often see professional players wiping their hands on the bottom of their shoes and then taking out their mouth guard. :#

Okay, as a person who doesn't follow sports I have a question: WHY do they wipe their hands on the bottom of their shoes?
    Grip - takes the dust off... that’s also what the mats are for on the sidelines that they use before they go in.

Gotcha. Thank you! :)
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,136 Member
    Options
    Some more information for all of you.

"News you can use: The public asked us many questions about the coronavirus. We're answering them".

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2020/03/12/coronavirus-reader-questions-answered-symptoms-testing-elderly/5012457002/
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    Options

I'd say way more "not" than "sort of."
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options

I'd say way more "not" than "sort of."

I agree. The contradiction was just so ridiculous, I laughed while I cringed.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options

No, not comical at all. And I have a very twist-y sense of humour. :D

Specifically, what I found comical was the fist-bump after all the grossness, like that was going to help. *eye roll*
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    Today they cancelled the local con I was going to in two weeks. I meet up every year with all my geeky high school friends who have moved out of state. Gonna miss seeing everybody but it’s good to have it officially cancelled since everyone was wavering back and forth about whether it was safe to come, and this way no one has to make that decision.

Yes, it’s been kind of a relief when they finally just cancel something, so then the decision is just out of your hands. We are still waiting for that to happen with our kids’ school, and our daughter’s ballet studio. So far both are still on.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,984 Member
    Options
    Australia: all gatherings over 500 people cancelled for spectators.
    Grand Prix cancelled altogether and sports matches being played without spectators.
    I had tickets to AFL game - round 1 next weekend.
    Waiting for refund.

Meanwhile our immigration minister( Peter Dutton) tested positive and in self isolation.

I read ( but not sure if it is true) that Ivanka Trump in self isolation because she had close contact with him.
  • moogie_fit
    moogie_fit Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    My OH keeps telling me to stock up on Fritos :lol:

I've been seeing stories like these, which are encouraging me to start stocking up for the eventuality of price increases or temporary shortages:

I'm thinking about shelf stable milk. I think reconstituted powdered milk is gross, but have had some ascetic milk that wasn't bad. Don't remember the brand. Anyone have recommendations for brands and best place to buy for best prices?

I was in south Florida for the dreadful 2005 hurricane season, so I believe in preparing for times when stores are not available, although as time has passed, I've done less stocking up.

Buy protein powder a better investment then shelf stable milk
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Today they cancelled the local con I was going to in two weeks. I meet up every year with all my geeky high school friends who have moved out of state. Gonna miss seeing everybody but it’s good to have it officially cancelled since everyone was wavering back and forth about whether it was safe to come, and this way no one has to make that decision.

Yes, it’s been kind of a relief when they finally just cancel something, so then the decision is just out of your hands. We are still waiting for that to happen with our kids’ school, and our daughter’s ballet studio. So far both are still on.
    My children’s last b-ball game, plus the end of season celebration on Sunday, have both been canceled. DH sent me the email and said “you called it!” I am glad in a way, last week I felt like I was breathing in a cess pool. Because my husband coaches all 4 teams, and refs many other games, we are in the gym from 10AM until sometimes 7 or 8 PM with hundreds of people going in and out.