Coronavirus prep

Replies

• Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    sdavis484 wrote: »
    How do we keep people that are quarantined home though? Is that possible? I don't think it is. What would stop an infected person from being out and sharing germs?

Well, one would hope that any decent human being would abide by quarantine requirements, but of course there will be some that don't.

These are the (current) requirements for self-isolation in NZ (this is for anyone arriving into the country, or anyone who has had close contact with someone who has tested positive, I'm a bit unclear if the requirements are more stringent for those that have the virus): https://www.health.govt.nz/our-work/diseases-and-conditions/covid-19-novel-coronavirus/covid-19-novel-coronavirus-health-advice-general-public/covid-19-novel-coronavirus-self-isolation
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    If we don't have enough tests, we're undertesting, and don't know whether the incidence of XYZ virus in the population is higher or lower than the (number of positive tests) divided by (number of tests) . . . but because we're rationing tests to the most severe cases, we're mostly testing highly symptomatic people and getting a high percentage of positive tests, compared to the number of test performed. And, because we're testing the most severe cases as more testing kits become available, the jump in confirmed cases is extra-dramatic.

so once we get a test that is widely available and can be used on much more people, the death toll percentage will fall and eventually level out to a more accurate number which could well be less than the 4-6% estimated now. Right?

Yes, but the infection rate will be higher (and the threat of spread). The concern is in part that even lower infection rates will be devastating if some huge percentage of the population contracts it, and apparently a much higher percentage than the death rate need medical care (although we don't have a real clue about percentages now, IMO).
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,165 Member
    it may be a little too graphic for some people

What does the coronavirus do to your body? Everything to know about the infection process
    A visual guide of coronavirus infection, symptoms of COVID-19 and the effects of the virus inside the body, in graphics
    Javier Zarracina, and Adrianna Rodriguez, USA TODAY
    Updated 7 hours ago

https://www.usatoday.com/in-depth/news/2020/03/13/what-coronavirus-does-body-covid-19-infection-process-symptoms/5009057002/
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited March 2020
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Just to shift gears a bit: On this thread and other places, I'm seeing more about companies encouraging telecommuting, about companies' IT staffs quickly setting up or expanding the infrastructure for telecommuting**, and that sort of thing.

I'm musing about two things (not drawing conclusions):

1. Will this tip the trend in some fashion, and lead to relatively more of that on a permanent basis?

2. Will the security of this new, perhaps hastily-set-up infrastructure be adequate for the task? As someone whose pre-retirement job included a small bite of computer security responsibilities, I know this realm is still an arms race: The highly-automated nefarious actors developing new tools, the good guys running hard to get ahead of them. Haste and under-investment are historically sources of vulnerability. It worries me a little, frankly.

** I've heard rumors, but not fact-checked, that in the US the current administration had been discouraging telecommuting or remote work by federal employees, and that there had been some infrastructure disinvestment or even reduction, in this area; and that this is now moving in the other direction again, toward encouraging more federal employees in some areas to work from home.

I'm pulling for number 1 :smiley: We were recently sold to a larger company, and I ended up with a lot more responsibility with the typical "there's no extra money for you now, but we're aware you're currently underpaid". Now that they've been kind of forced to let me try working from home for a couple of weeks (though I will have to stop in to the office a coue if times at least) I intend to suggest that a great way to reward me without a raise would be to allow me to work from home one or two days a week.

ETA: I'm not VPNing into the network, but most of my work is done by logging into different web based programs. I'm not sure if that makes it less of a security risk or not. That's why I can't avoid the office at all, I will need to get on an on-site computer for a few things.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    sdavis484 wrote: »
    How do we keep people that are quarantined home though? Is that possible? I don't think it is. What would stop an infected person from being out and sharing germs?

It's about personal integrity. There will be those who don't exhibit any symptoms who will go out and about exposing others. Those on the front line, celebrities, health care workers, even the virus screeners and their symptoms may or may not show up later. It's all a multi-cr@p shoot, especially without testing.