Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

The most polarizing food: where do you stand?

Replies

• SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    chelleedub wrote: »
    Fois gras. I'm a hard no.

Why?

I can't answer for the poster, but some people find the process of producing the fois gras to be particularly inhumane. Even a lot of people who normally eat animal products find this a bit too far on the cruelty side.

But eggs from caged hens are ok? Ditto broiler chickens? Same thing. Bred and fed for one purpose only.

I myself dont like it, but thats for the taste and texture. Ditto bone marrow.

At least with some animal products you have choices you can make...you can buy cage-free eggs or free-range chickens. Sure, they are still eventually slaughtered, but at least you could reasonably think (or convince yourself) that they were not tortured and were killed quickly. You don't know, but can at least tell yourself that.

With fois gras, it is absolutely certain that the bird was tortured for weeks to achieve the desired product, and that can be a bit hard to justify.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    chelleedub wrote: »
    Fois gras. I'm a hard no.

Why?

I can't answer for the poster, but some people find the process of producing the fois gras to be particularly inhumane. Even a lot of people who normally eat animal products find this a bit too far on the cruelty side.

But eggs from caged hens are ok? Ditto broiler chickens? Same thing. Bred and fed for one purpose only.

I myself dont like it, but thats for the taste and texture. Ditto bone marrow.

At least with some animal products you have choices you can make...you can buy cage-free eggs or free-range chickens. Sure, they are still eventually slaughtered, but at least you could reasonably think (or convince yourself) that they were not tortured and were killed quickly. You don't know, but can at least tell yourself that.

With fois gras, it is absolutely certain that the bird was tortured for weeks to achieve the desired product, and that can be a bit hard to justify.

That means nothing, you know that right? Also, even if the broilers could walk to the yard, they are still made to serve one purpose, grow large white meat that everyone wants now. And how do you know the bird is suffering? Just because the practice looks damaging or simply "not right"? Every seen a baby mammal being force fed via a tube to keep it alive? How is that different?

But thats a different topic.

I think I made it clear that I know that.
    It’s about the perception, whether reality or not. Everyone decides for themselves where they want to draw their moral line, and my point was that for many people, this practice crosses that line for them. I’m not going to argue about what constitutes suffering and what doesn’t. I was just answering your question as to why someone would choose not to eat that particular food.
  • troylfullerton
    troylfullerton Posts: 49 Member
    xaxtyx2w62nj.png

Mouthwatering. I WISH I didn't have a sweet tooth and that I wasn't so delighted by these things (but I am... and YES, they're worth the calories for me). My challenge is to responsibly limit my consumption... I'm not going to give them up entirely.
  • summery79
    summery79 Posts: 116 Member
    I'd rather have a homemade sugar cookie. Honestly, I rarely keep any type of cookie in the house because I've learned through the years that cookies are not a friend to my healthy weight maintenance. When I make them, I need to get the leftovers in the freezer ASAP
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    summery79 wrote: »
    I'd rather have a homemade sugar cookie. Honestly, I rarely keep any type of cookie in the house because I've learned through the years that cookies are not a friend to my healthy weight maintenance. When I make them, I need to get the leftovers in the freezer ASAP

Leftovers?

Here is one for you..... Salceson :)

salceson.jpg

Gross! I wouldn’t even let that in my kitchen!

• bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,982 Member
    Do I want to know what Salceson is made of?
  • CupcakeCrusoe
    CupcakeCrusoe Posts: 1,351 Member
    LOFTHOUSE COOKIES ARE THE DEVIL. They look so good, but they are so not good!

Polarizing foods.. I'm sure in 36 pages, sardines have been covered? I love sardines with crackers.
  • ecrispi
    ecrispi Posts: 25 Member
    I always acknowledge that they are bad “cookies,” yet I still love them. I think it’s the texture. I can eat a whole box no problem, so I refuse to buy them for my own sake 😂
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,553 Member
    tuckerrj wrote: »
    Really polarizing foods are things like: 1) brain sandwiches, 2) barbecued pig snouts or 3) haggis, just sayin'.

I rather like haggis but only eat it on the occasional Burns night. Haven't tried snouts.

Don't like brain because I find it way too rich.

I had an Italian girlfriend whom I once told that I'm nog crazy about most organ meats. Chicken gizzards and livers and riz de veaux are the exceptions. Next time I came for dinner she served kidney, liver and brain because she was convinced I didn't like them because I hadn't had them cooked the Italian way. The kidney tasted of piss, the liver had the texture of sand and pan fried brain tasted like deep fried butter.
  • acpgee
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I will play........ Natto.

(snip image for reply length)

Good play ! ;)

I finally tried some recently, at a restaurant, after being curious about it for years (just not quite curious enough to search for it outside my usual shopping places). The waitress tried to talk me out of ordering it! :lol:

Maybe scary looking, but tastes good IMO.

When I tried to order this in a Japanese restaurant the waitress tried to talk me out of it too.
  • acpgee
    The night before our wedding we took out our witnesses out to a fancy french restaurant. In the Netherlands the groom has two best men, and the bride has two maids of honor who all sign the marriage certificate.

One of the best men, when he saw calves testicles on the menu exclaimed to my hubby, "You need to order these on your wedding night, as an aphrodisiac!" My husband who does eat meat, but is squeamish about any meat that obviously looks like an animal (such as lobster or oysters) refused. So I agreed to order the starter of pan fried calves testicles.

Won't be doing that again. In the same way that lambs kidneys smell of piss, calves testicles taste of semen.
  • acpgee
    Since moving from the Netherlands I really miss fillet americain. That's a sandwich spread made of finely ground raw beef sold in supermarkets.
    https://www.tasteatlas.com/filet-americain
    I have no idea how it got it's name, as it is a food that is as un-American as it gets.
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    acpgee wrote: »
    Since moving from the Netherlands I really miss fillet americain. That's a sandwich spread made of finely ground raw beef sold in supermarkets.
    I have no idea how it got it's name, as it is a food that is as un-American as it gets.

I love raw beef, but this looks unusual. Is anything added to it?
  • acpgee
    acpgee wrote: »

I love raw beef, but this looks unusual. Is anything added to it?

Here's a recipe. It is a low brow version of steak tartare. Sold in supermarkets in NL as a sandwich spread. I love raw beef and raw tuna too.

https://www.thedutchtable.com/2011/04/filet-americain.html
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    568wpvz5egwi.png

how does this make you feel?
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,982 Member
    actually, that makes me feel kind of queazy. That icing looks gritty up that close and just what are those discs supposed to be? I'll take the lofthouse cookies and you can keep the cupcake :grin:
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,572 Member
    568wpvz5egwi.png

My tongue is practically licking that frosting up.

(I should really clean this tablet.)
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,482 Member
    568wpvz5egwi.png

Eh, not worth the calories, it doesn't look very good and I always love the sweets you post! I'd probably eat the icing and that's it.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    In South Carolina, I got into eating "slaw dogs." That's a hot dog on a bun with chili, onions and creamy coleslaw on top, ketchup and mustard optional. I liked mine with pimento cheese instead of chile and yes, please, to the ketchup and mustard. A hamburger done up in a similar fashion is termed "all the way."