Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    NZ's Prime Minister has just announced our border will be closed to non residents/citizens as of 11.59pm tonight.

Can we trade PM's? She has done an amazing job since being elected with this, natural disasters, a terrorist attack and all while being a new mum too. I do admire her really.

We really need to clone her, don't we? Jacinda for Supreme World Leader?

As much as I am horrified by the speed at which things are happening now*, I actually feel pretty safe. A big part of that (okay, all of that) is because of the steps our government has taken.

*I read an article today comparing this pandemic to the one depicted in the film Contagion (we should all thank our lucky stars that this isn't much, much worse), written a week ago. The death toll was 4100. It's now more than double that. In a week.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,979 Member
    Options
    OK - so I have an idea. Instead of relying on health officials to do all the legwork. How about we all keep a daily diary of the places we have been and the people we have been in contact with. That way if we do come down with the virus, we already have everything concisely in one place to notify others quickly to try to contain the spread. I know if someone from work called me and said, hey I just got tested positive and am sick, I would take a LOT stronger measures as far as my movements and letting others around me know.

Google already knows all of this about us. Even if you have an iPhone, Google Maps collects location data in the background - that's why they make it for iPhone.

If anybody asks them too, they can query their data to find out who's been in the same place at the same time with you. As long as you both have your phones, which covers most people. I hope they're doing that.

you're assuming everyone has a phone connected to the internet at all times. I know quite a few folks who barely have a cell phone, let alone a smart phone.

Your carrier knows your location (historically as well as current) so long as your phone is on and you're within an area that has service (not a dead zone). Even if you have a flip phone.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Dnarules wrote: »
    Dnarules wrote: »
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    acpgee wrote: »
    My office has started dispensing latex gloves for the commute. We are asked not to wear them in the office. Most people are working from home already.

What is their logic in not having employees wear gloves in the office? I'm asking sincerely, I'm not sure how to word it without sounding confrontational.

It's airborne and we don't have enough gloves and masks for our first responders, do they don't want people panic buying them. The general public can wash their hands and not touch their faces. We NEED the docs, nurses, people that do X-Rays, hospital workers and first responders to have these for now. I see us in a couple of months having them for the general public (older and immuno compromised first).

What is your evidence for it being airborne? I have seen nothing to suggest this.

Yes, it is airborne for a minimum of 4 to 5 ft. That's why--masks. On a bus in China a man without a mask, who had the virus, sat in one of the back rows. People in the front of the bus were contaminated. The bus was not crowded. People wearing masks on the bus did not get the virus. The Chinese did extensive testing on this.

That isn't airborne. It seems pedantic, but there's a difference between aerosol and airborne.

Oh--thanks. I'm not at all sciencey and don't know the terms. Thanks for the correction. Just as long as people realize why we need "social distancing".

I hope I didn't come off like a jerk. I very much appreciate your updates. And I think it is great how we are all learning.

No, I appreciate it. Those of you who know more are nice enough to explain a few things. There are always many "lurkers" so I think it's helpful--even to say something dumb and be corrected. <3
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/health/coronavirus/120371192/coronavirus-heres-how-quickly-the-number-of-cases-can-escalate

ETA - read a graph wrong on increase in Italy's death toll, but thought I'd leave the article link anyway.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    https://nypost.com/2020/03/17/first-dog-to-test-positive-for-coronavirus-has-died-in-hong-kong/

This is unsettling. I hope there is more to the story. I thought transmitting it from humans to dogs was not possible.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    There are so many unknowns about this virus. It looks more like a 6-18 month event. It doesn't like heat and high humidity they say.anf summer can bring both in our area. Hopefully schools can restart this fall.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    https://nypost.com/2020/03/17/first-dog-to-test-positive-for-coronavirus-has-died-in-hong-kong/

This is unsettling. I hope there is more to the story. I thought transmitting it from humans to dogs was not possible.

Well in most of the article and linked articles, it says that they still aren't sure if the dog was infected as blood tests came back clear and it may have only been carrying the virus in its mouth and nose from “environmental contamination.” as the owner had the virus and consequently recovered.

Worth noting also that the dog was 17 years old, it might also have just been it's time.

I really hope so. I didn't have time to read the article but it caught my attention. Thank you for listing the main points.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    According to CNN, cases have spiked in the US 40% in the last 24 hours. That’s a huge jump.