Replies

• Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    Meanwhile I'm mucking around trying to get my hair to curl...

(it's my apocalypse project #priorities)

I'm going to have to go for it and cut my bangs pretty soon. I did it routinely when I was younger but it's been years. I'm not optimistic.

I always cut my own. Start longer than you want them, so you have extra for straightening up. Also, if you have thick bangs, it can be easier to get straight if you do it in layers. And at worst, no one's gonna see them for a while!

Thanks! And yeah, if I botch it, it's not like the fashion police are coming for me 😄

Next tip, cut the bottom layer slightly shorter than the top, so it's not too blunt :)
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Katmary71 wrote: »
    @BarbaraHelen2013 I've been wanting to pull out and reread The Stand too! I just finished a few Robin Cook (medical thrillers) though they weren't related to an outbreak.

I downloaded a bunch of Robin Cook thrillers from my library last week. I love love love being able to get library books for my kindle. (Digital books can also be read on a computer - no ebook device required.)

My library is closed now - people without library cards can check to see if they can get these remotely. Library systems are a fabulous resource. I've been using Overdrive for 10 years, but apparently there are all these other services as well:

Your library is committed to keeping you entertained and informed throughout this difficult time. Here
    are just some of the great resources we offer online:

● Hoopla – Download/stream music, movies, ebooks, audiobooks, and comics
    ● Overdrive – Download ebooks and audiobooks
    ● Kanopy- Start watching the Criterion Collection, The Great Courses, Sundance and Oscar winning
    films and documentaries.
    ● RBDigital – Download magazines
    ● ODILO – Foreign Language e-books in Spanish, French, Portuguese and Russian
    ● Creativebug – Arts and Crafts classes for all skill levels. Class topics include: Art and
    Design, Knitting and Crochet, Sewing and Quilting, Papercrafts, Jewelry Making, Food
    and Home Decor, Holiday and Party Ideas, and Crafts for Kids
    ● Freegal Music - Download music and music videos from your computer or mobile device.

All you need is your library card!

Wow, I didn't know about the majority of this, thank you! I've been decluttering and the hardest thing to get rid of is books, I've been rereading stuff and then donating it to the library for their friends-of-the-library program (left with a few too!) so my Kindle's been resting. I met with a career coach at the library the other week and there's also resources for making and having your resume reviewed among other things. I wonder if this means the two cookbooks I checked out don't need to be returned next week!?

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    Ruatine wrote: »

I went out both Saturday and Sunday -- I had errands, but it had the feel of what in my youth was called "going for a Sunday drive," where you piled into the car and just drove someplace, maybe looking at houses or flowers or scenery in a more rural area ... No need to have human contact that could spread a virus just because you get in your car for a drive.

Generally the roads are a lot less busy around here. However, yesterday I went for a run in the state forest. There's a gravel road that leads back into the mountains. There's not much to see but trees and a small creek, and it seems mostly to be a hunting/fishing area in season. Normally when I run there, I'll see 1 or 2 cars an hour. Yesteday I saw 18 during my 8 mile run. Nobody on foot, though there were a couple of cars parked there, so presumably someone was running or biking. I just never saw them. I figured it would be a lot less populated than the state park or running in town. I was right.

Re the bolded, I've noticed that where I am too. Normally my house street is quite busy throughout the day as it's a main thoroughfare for multiple subdivisions. I walked out to retrieve our trashcan this morning, and there wasn't a single car as far as I could see in either direction. It was a little eerie.

I had an 8 a.m. appointment to give blood today at a location that normally would have easily been 40 minutes away under "good" rush hour conditions, and it barely took me 20 minutes to get there today. And we weren't even under statewide shutdown of non-essential businesses yet at that point.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    veganbaum wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Report from WBUR's Here and Now program, broadcast on US National Public Radio (NPR):

https://www.wbur.org/hereandnow/2020/03/23/malaria-drug-shortage-coronavirus

Summary: Hydroxycholoquine (brand name Plaquenil) is an anti-malaria drug being tested for potential use against COVID-19/coronavirus. CDC sounds hopeful, but says proof is needed. US President has touted the drug in press conference as "a tremendous breakthrough" and "a game changer".

The drug is also important for treatment of people with other conditions, including autoimmune conditions such as lupus and rheumatoid arthritis.

In some areas, demand has risen to the point where supplies are challenging to get, for people with the relevant health conditions who routinely need them.

Some of the increased use is potentially health professionals understandably doing anything possible (even if unproven) to avoid contagion in a context of inadequate protective equipment, but speculative over-prescription and hoarding are also suspected.

I'm trying really hard here to keep this post a simple factual summary, in light of the MFP community guidelines against political content. I think the core issue would be of common interest, but especially so to those who currently depend on hydroxychloroquine prescriptions.

I am really upset by this because my grandmother is one of those who is prescribed hydroxychloroquine for a medical reason. Now she has yet one more thing to worry about, in addition to being in a very high risk group.

It's unbelievably irresponsible to tout that something might be helpful with only anecdotal evidence - both for those who currently rely on the medication and those who might be tempted to take it because of what-ifs.

ETA: just in case it's not clear, I'm not saying Ann is irresponsible for sharing.

The New York Times has reported a case of a couple who decided to self-medicate with some sort aquarium fish anti-fungal that contained hydroxycholoquine (even though they hadn't been diagnosed with covid 19). One of them died, and the other was in the hospital but apparently will recover.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    hello i'm back from my fight with the rona, let's never do that again. my dad's also doing much better. called into work this morning to tell them i'm on the mend only to have just caught my boss on his way out because surprise, they're shutting down for at least the next two weeks. i work for a school district, and the state superintendent wants to shut down school for the rest of the year. just hoping like hell that the district still needs people to run routine maintenance while the kids are out. i was so craving having at least a bit of my routine back, now i'm not sure when i'll get it back, or if.

my fiance's job's in the air too. jewelry's not exactly in high demand these days. i'm trying to be light about it and joke with them that they're gonna have to open back up in a few months once all the post-quarantine shotgun weddings are on but they're really devastated, and frankly as much as i'm trying to hold it together, i am too. precarity and being a giant humanoid ball of anxiety don't mix right, and there's no way, absolutely no way in hell that things just fall right back into their normal places once this deescalates. the unemployment numbers and predictions coming out right now alone are as unfathomable to me as a billion dollars, absolutely bone-chilling.

Welcome back, @cosmiqrecovery :). Glad you are feeling better!
  • ataleforthetimebeing
    ataleforthetimebeing Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    The silver lining, although at a great cost, is that the whole world will be prepared for anything similar in the future. We'll know in hindsight what strategies work best.

I don't share your faith in the lasting value of the lesson. It's not like the lessons of the 1918 influenza led to our being prepared this time around.

1918 was a different time with different technologies and economies. The world is more connected now and things are more heavily documented.

What are you saying? 1918 heavily transformed the way we go about things now. We have discovered viruses since then. There has been major advancements in public policy, advancements in research and technology of antibiotics and vaccines as well as the role of germs and bacteria in our everyday life.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    jenilla1 wrote: »

I ran some math numbers for my mother yesterday which I hope she understood and took to heart: if you have 50% of the some 330 million people in the US get this, with 10% of that number being hospitalized for serious cases, you have some 16.5 million people needing extreme care. If only 1% of those people die from this, that's still 165,000 people. And yet there are still some people who claim this isn't any worse than the flu!...

My understanding is NOT that 1% of people who are hospitalized die. It's 1% of people who get infected will die. So if you run your numbers again, if half the people get it, then 1% of that half dies = 1,650,000. That's 10 times as many.

maybe so, but that just means my estimate was extremely conservative; in any case, the big question is whether or not my mother took me seriously. My family typically dismisses me as a "know it all" who don't know what she's talking about.......like when I tried to explain to my mother that baldness does not pass through from the mother's side of the family as that's not how genes work. She insists though that because her father had a full head of hair, that my brother will never need to worry about going bald because "it comes from the mother's side". *sigh*

Um, there absolutely are recessive traits passed on the X chromosome, and since men only get an X chromosome from their mother, the trait passes from the mother's side of the family to her sons, e.g., color blindness. So, yes, that is one way that genes work. A quick Google search suggests that baldness is controlled by multiple genes, so it's probably not straight-forward.
    Even in the case of X linked traits, the mother’s father is not a clear indicator since she also got an X from her own mother, who would not have shown male pattern baldness herself but could have been a carrier for it.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    If you really want nightmares, re-read Edgar Allen Poe's short story "The Masque of the Red Death". 😄

I've been thinking about that off and on since this started. Also the Decameron. Both seem to parallel my current situation of being at home supposedly hiding from the potential contagion. The Masque of the Red Death is, of course, much creepier given the ending.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Options
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    SisterSue, you get a 10++ for your very thoughtful action of offering freebies to those who need it!!

I've stuck with my usual once a week shopping, am a little ahead on a couple things, mainly for my dogs. :blush: But am finding stores have little to none of: paper products, cleaners, and bread. I haven't been able to get one loaf of bread in 10 days now. Not even frozen bread dough. I'll have to resort to homemade but I remember trying that a couple times, years and years ago. :(

Lots of great recipes and tips for making bread in this thread! https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10454582/so-i-was-going-to-bake-my-first-bread/p1

All you need is flour, water, salt, and yeast :smiley:

I prefer the Dutch oven method these days, but I have definitely made good bread in regular bread pans, and flatbread, and rolls...

Here's a fabulous bread book: Flour Water Salt Yeast: The Fundamentals of Artisan Bread and Pizza

Under normal circumstances I would suggest seeing if your library system has it (mine does) but likely your library is now closed :(

Speaking of bread: I experimented with making my own homemade yogurt this weekend, and had decent results on the second try - 1/2 gallon of milk produced 2 cups of yogurt and about a quart jar and a half of whey - course there was some yogurt sediment in my whey jars that filtered through with the whey; I'm not sure how to stop that.

If you happen to have cheese cloth, multiple layers will help keep that from happening. If not, something like a pillow-case under whatever you're using to strain the yogurt. When I strain mine I use a colander, place a folded pillow case (clean, obviously) inside, on top of the pillow case I place layers of cheese cloth, then put the yogurt in. I have recently started to get everything damp before I put the yogurt in to strain in an attempt to keep the cloth from soaking up all the whey. I have no idea if it actually works, but it makes me feel better.

And agreed - bread products made with whey instead of milk are lighter and fluffier and taste as if they are made with butter milk. Yum! A friend of mine used whey recently to make homemade sour dough bread... I need to get her recipe.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    SisterSue, you get a 10++ for your very thoughtful action of offering freebies to those who need it!!

I've stuck with my usual once a week shopping, am a little ahead on a couple things, mainly for my dogs. :blush: But am finding stores have little to none of: paper products, cleaners, and bread. I haven't been able to get one loaf of bread in 10 days now. Not even frozen bread dough. I'll have to resort to homemade but I remember trying that a couple times, years and years ago. :(

Lots of great recipes and tips for making bread in this thread! https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10454582/so-i-was-going-to-bake-my-first-bread/p1

All you need is flour, water, salt, and yeast :smiley:

I prefer the Dutch oven method these days, but I have definitely made good bread in regular bread pans, and flatbread, and rolls...

Here's a fabulous bread book: Flour Water Salt Yeast: The Fundamentals of Artisan Bread and Pizza

Under normal circumstances I would suggest seeing if your library system has it (mine does) but likely your library is now closed :(

Thank you for sharing that. :) I talked with 1 of my dds last night, she's doing sourdough starter so I looked more into that online(you only need flour and water)and came across a site called DIYNatural.com. Wonderful site for lots of make it yourself ideas, including maple syrup marshmallows. Lol

My library is closed now. :( But they have a plethora of online material so will definitely check into all they have to offer.