40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Replies

• caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Had to do some stuff at home today. Everything is Maryland is either closed or limited. Just have to make the best of it. Hope all of you are doing well and staying safe.
  • gam3rguy
    gam3rguy Posts: 3,773 Member
    "22 Minute Hard Corps Cardio 3 & Core 2”=Done!!!
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Got out for a couple hours on the bike. Fought through cold March winds all the way out, then enjoyed the tailwind on the way home. Did a short run off the bike that felt pretty good.
    I'm ready for Spring temps any time!
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    My gym is still open. Did some lifting and prowler work today. A little normalcy was nice.
  • gam3rguy
    "Body Beast Bulk: Chest & Arms"=Done!

• gam3rguy
    “22 Minute Hard Corps: Cold Start & Spec Ops Resistance”=Done!
  • caramelgyrlk
    It's 3 a.m. and I am officially deemed out of my mind. I despise home work outs. My coach has offered zoom workouts as well as the gym equipment to use at our homes until the closures dissipate. Maryland has a high number of COVID 19 cases and everything nonessential is now closed. I have to use what's available to me until things get better. My mini tantrum is now over.
    Have a great day ahead.
  • mcemino2
    mcemino2 Posts: 427 Member
    It's 3 a.m. and I am officially deemed out of my mind. I despise home work outs. My coach has offered zoom workouts as well as the gym equipment to use at our homes until the closures dissipate. Maryland has a high number of COVID 19 cases and everything nonessential is now closed. I have to use what's available to me until things get better. My mini tantrum is now over.
    Have a great day ahead.

Same here in Ohio. Gym has been closed over a week now. Finding it difficult to do anything at home.
  • gam3rguy
    "Body Beast Bulk: Legs"=Done!

• Lindsquad
    Lindsquad Posts: 1 Member
    Could use some insight. I’m one month in of eating healthy, routine exercise and no more alcohol. Feeling great. Purpose for doing so is I am 43. Have high blood pressure and I want to be able to keep up with my football fanatic 8 yr old. I have lost a total of 13 lbs. so from 234 now at 221. But last couple weeks have not seen not much weight loss. Is that normal? Do I just keep the same routine or try something different? My work out consists of 3-4 times a week on our elliptical.
  • gam3rguy
    "22 Minute Hard Corps Cardio 3 & Core 2”=Done!!!
  • alteredsteve175
    Lindsquad wrote: »
    Could use some insight. I’m one month in of eating healthy, routine exercise and no more alcohol. Feeling great. Purpose for doing so is I am 43. Have high blood pressure and I want to be able to keep up with my football fanatic 8 yr old. I have lost a total of 13 lbs. so from 234 now at 221. But last couple weeks have not seen not much weight loss. Is that normal? Do I just keep the same routine or try something different? My work out consists of 3-4 times a week on our elliptical.

This is a very common occurrence. Thirteen pounds in a month is great - actually a little faster than normally recommended. Most people find they are unable to continue to lose at those high rates.

Also - are you weighing all your food to ensure an accurate calorie count? Sometimes we are eating more than we think.

See this thread for more information.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10084670/it-is-unlikely-that-you-will-lose-weight-consistently-i-e-weight-loss-is-not-linear/p1
  • alteredsteve175
    Have a great day ahead.

I feel your pain. I really like the gym environment to encourage me to push myself. My gym was still open last Saturday. Have a session scheduled for tomorrow morning - will call later today and make certain they will be open.

• gam3rguy
    "Body Beast Bulk: Back"=Done!

• gam3rguy
    “22 Minute Hard Corps: Resistance 2”=Done!
  • caramelgyrlk
    Hey kids, I am feeling the burn today. Yeah!!!!, I secured equipment from my gym and worked out more intensely at home. I am glad I have more options now. One thing I will do once this crisis is over; buy a bar and some weights in the event this happens again. Atleast with a empty 20kilo bar, I can still get a decent workout in.
  • TorqueMonster1972
    TorqueMonster1972 Posts: 11 Member
    Lindsquad wrote: »

good effort on the drop. Advice here:
    1) you did not lose the weight - there is a psychology that the human mind does not like to lose or quit. you have decided to burn off the energy you have accumulated over the years and you are choosing to be a new goal weight
    2) cardio alone will not do it - there is science that shows cardio alone is not enough to change physiology and that you do need to get muscle workouts included. put in context Muscle mass uses more energy per pound than fat and thus the more muscle mass the better. This does not mean you become a roid monkey - rather you need to add to the weekly work
    3) Food is critical - you drop 20lbs in mass, you need to recalculate you daily needs. if you had accounted for 2500 cal for the 230# mass, and now you are at 210 -> your caloric needs will drop
    4) Muscle exchanges place for fat - the scale is but ONE item you use to determine your effectiveness. remember that muscle takes 3x time about of physical space as muscle does. this is why you should - if possible (and i can hear the arguments already) get a scale for fat and muscle mass calculation and measure your body. I am a data geek and measure my BF% MM% water and bone density with my scale and see how this progresses. I also have a tape measure for body dimensions. I enter this all into excel and graph my progress.
    5) Remember how long it took to get where you started - when I was 25 I was cycling daily and a paltry 175lbs benching 180# - when I started my journey in December 2019 I was 47 at 230# and lucky to bench 80#. I do not expect to be back where I was 20 years ago in 2 months..... it will be at least 20 months before I am even close and you should set your expectations this way.

We all have esoteric ideas where we want to be. this is not a bad thing and we also need targets and modest goal points to get to where we want to be. write them down, track them WEEKLY (daily is fluctuations) for now and see the progress.
  • gam3rguy
    "Body Beast Bulk: Arms"=Done!

• gam3rguy
    "22 Minute Hard Corps Cardio 2 & Core 2”=Done!!!
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 8,887 Member
    No access to a gym... only weights at home are paltry 25# and 15# things (I usually use 50# and up). Phooey.