• 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    B)
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    Happy Wednesday ladies!

Cheri - sending healing thoughts your way. <3 Those crocheted blankets are awesome! I'm going to dig out my crochet afghan books and check out my yarn stash. How is your daughter doing by the way? Last I recall she was either living at your house or moving close by you.

Have sad news, sort of. An elderly friend of ours, Ernie, died a few weeks ago. He was 97 (likely died of a stroke) and had the reputation of a mean old curmudgeon and we were honored to call him our friend. He was probably one of the last WWII veterans left in our county. His secret to long life - a small measure of whisky at breakfast, lunch, and supper. He called it his "medicine". He avoided doctors, and had it in for the politicians of all stripes and government employees. B) His final wishes were to have his ashes dumped into a huge old-growth tree trunk by the river running through his forest land.

So our county has 2 diagnosed cases of the virus, no deaths. Latest stats per the WA DOH website right now is only 93% of those people tested have been positive and of the 2469 positive cases, only 123 have died. 80% of those deaths are people in their 70's and older.

Of course, many more are being tested now and those stats will change. Hoping that by instituting safe measures as soon as we did, the curve slows or stays fairly flattened in more rural counties like ours with lower population density - even though I-5 runs right through it so we're not real self-contained like some.

Kelly -thinking of you and your situation. So interesting how so many states are handling their "lock down" and "stay home" orders. Governors are doing what they deem best and flying by the seat of their pants, hope they are flexible as they get feedback on how their plans are working.

Working on my strategy for tomorrow's shopping trip. Going thru the closet to determine my "go to town" outfit - old jeans, and a jacket I rarely wear. Items I can take off in the garage and leave them hung on a peg for a week if I don't get around to washing them. My grocery plan is to hit one store - Walmart, get what I can depending on how busy it is. I only have a few items I am deeming "essential". There are other items on the list that would be nice to have in the fruit/veg department but if they don't have them, we'll make do.

In and out. I feel like it might be overkill, but time will tell as we see the stats, mentioned above, the end of this week.

Stay healthy. Stay in touch!! <3

Lanette
    SW WA State

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,372 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    My brother's ex wife has managed to fly back from Jamaica. :D Her online food order also arrived! :p
    Relief all round for my four nephews and nieces from that marriage and their ten children and their one child. His other two children are from his second wife.

DH went out for a walk and found the fish market open. He came back with smoked haddock, cod and trout. They can't sell to the restaurant trade at the moment, so any business is welcome. They have started deliveries to the over 70s. Their boats are still going to sea.

I stayed in for an Amazon delivery that didn't come. Later, I'm sure. I did biking and rowing while watching the final of The Great Pottery Throw Down. As I'm a ceramics geek it was huge fun. I clocked up 400 bonus calories without noticing it. That makes the day's total 1,000. o:)

Tonight is a tiny one person chilli from the freezer, eeked out with a green pepper and a jacket potato. Scattered with arugula. Creme fraiche. I'm going AF with fake red wine. The fish is going in the freezer.

Weather glorious still, so I'm sad I didn't get outside, but it's forecast good for tomorrow too.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

• kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,974 Member
    Options
    Amber TX I really needed your funnies today!

Sorry about the depressing post yesterday. Just had to vent.

Nice and sunny and warm today. I may defy the rule and go sit on the docks! Lol

RV Rita
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,121 Member
    Options
    I signed up for the course too! Yay!
    Annie in Delaware
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Credit should show up PayPal said it was refunded. The guy was nice but you know how China things coming in would be stopped as it enters sometimes I don’t receive it (they send it but customs 🛃 won’t let it through)

Here daycares many are shut down but others open their allowed to be open. Saw last night they clarified what’s closed y open finally !

https://youtu.be/lGqp5TGhPAs

But the rules are different per city y state . One may say farmers market is closed another says open. I use the farmers market in my Dads town when we go it’s open still. There considered food here but lots of rules counting heads. When they run out of freash foods they must close just like any food source that can’t get supplies to other services.

One city has marijuana dispensaries to liquor stores open another has all smoke shops y liquor stores closed.

Amber Tx

Here they went or called Church to church told them to close or posted on news stations to papers it falls under City Rules of Nonessential. Until they say it has to most stayed open
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Beth: Good news for your dad!!! Good news for your niece, too! I hope this turns out to be a huge blessing for her. :star:

Heather: When I last shopped the grocery store clerk wouldn’t let me use my own bags and insisted on paper. She said that she didn’t want to touch other people’s potentially germy bags. I wasn’t quick witted enough to offer to bag my own groceries. Next time I’ll make the offer before anything gets into a bag. :ohwell: I LOVE the serenity prayer. :laugh:

Amber: Loved the painting tutorial. So glad to know your money was refunded! :smiley:

Michele: Look up Childcare.gov. :star:

Dr. Katie: Good to see you posting again! :smiley:

SuziQ: I love the gratitudes! Our governor has told everyone to stay home. We’re compliant. We can still buy groceries but no TP is available here. Thanks to the internet I can stay in touch with my adult kids in Illinois and Maryland. :heart:

Barbara: I agree that the support and information here is this group is valuable and amazing. :star:

Lisa: Neil Diamond was a gift. Thank you! I shared the song with DH. :flowerforyou:

Rita: Sit on the docks all you like, as long as you don't turn into a crispy critter. I’m glad you’re feeling better today. :star:

As I mentioned, our governor requested everyone in the state to stay home if possible. I just looked online. There have been 209 known Corona virus cases in Oregon. Zero in my county the last I heard. Good news. Also, zero TP available to buy. Not good news. :grumble: :star:

Katla at home in OR
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Funny jokes about TP to hand sanitizers
    gxbn879dg6nr.jpeg
    zc3blgk9h02c.jpeg
    ylxpnlx8nuj8.jpeg
    586rld1gqdvk.jpeg
    noyqu8pdel9l.jpeg
    920ijwjdaaq7.jpeg
    i3lxa0qcq09l.jpeg
    0qobytphbzrg.jpeg
    xwuje82snagd.jpeg
    4tq8u2zv4smm.jpeg
    d5fq6qfd7shk.jpeg
    kx7p7bkxao1w.jpeg
    fd3ptk1sydxh.jpeg

Who remembers canned bread? They still exists!
    r2ua61dlqq2c.jpeg
    gltlrat0pf4u.jpeg

They still have DAK canned hams too on the market

Zumba https://youtu.be/-VXhoeaxxi0

Amber Tx
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,997 Member
    Options
    LisaInAR wrote: »
    Took me a little while to realize it really IS Neil Diamond singing. We all get old, I suppose... "Hands.... washing hands"
    https://youtu.be/sPLgsV_Ms3Q

:) I know a line dance to "Sweet Caroline" so I've been dancing to this video. :)
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    SuziQ113 wrote: »
    While I was driving to the nursery yesterday there were more homeless out than usual. While waiting at a red light one poor soul was attempting to collect change. Under normal circumstances at least one or two cars would give this person some small change floating around in their car, myself included. But, I could not help thinking OMG he probably has not washed his hands today, I cannot possibly open the window to help him, I will be exposing myself, I must protect myself, etc.. At the same time I was cursing myself for having these thoughts running through my head. In addition to all of these thoughts and more (as we know it is never one thought at a time) I thought about how fortunate I am. I have a roof over my head, food, a job, clean clothes, running water, and so much more that I am a millionaire compare to this lost soul.
    PS: I almost deleted this entry several times. Thank you for letting me vent. And, it is duly noted I went out yesterday - but remember it was the first time on day 8. And, I am not under a shelter in place order.

I'm glad you didn't delete it. This situation is so difficult, but common sense should reign, even if it doesn't.

We also are worried about the homeless. They and the refugee populations are so vulnerable. If the virus should start through them, I don't know how it would stop.

Thank you for your insights, SuziQ.

Flea
    Willamette Valley, Oregon