March 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    I wish I could go for a run, but stuck waiting on the HVAC guy who they said he would be here "sometime today"

Erf the sun just came out too.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I wish I could go for a run, but stuck waiting on the HVAC guy who they said he would be here "sometime today"

Nice to know that some things never change, even in these uncertain times.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options

I have to ask, are you a quilter?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »

I have to ask, are you a quilter?

No. I think it's an awesome hobby, but I've never done it. Do I seem like a quilter? I take it as a compliment.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options

Erf the sun just came out too.

I had to wait for the plumber Sunday and missed my run. Luckily when they replaced it Tuesday Justin was home so I hid in the office and worked.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    Options
    LoveyChar wrote: »
    @LoveyChar US results are showing that younger and non-immune compromised people aren't an insignificant number of the people being hospitalized with serious complications. So if we decide to let this virus go through 80% of the population quickly, it's unlikely the rest of us will be "carrying on," we'll be grieving for previously healthy loved ones who died because there were not enough medical resources to help everyone recover.

The flu is such that people run to the doctor in fear and it's a virus, which passes in healthy people and this is also what happens with this newest virus. My middle child had the flu when she was a toddler, and I rushed her to the doctor who told me that she had a different strain than the one she was vaccinated from. She passed the virus. Now when my kids, to include my little guy, get a bug or virus, I don't rush to the doctor. I don't. But you have people that get a paper cut or something of the sort and go to the emergency room and unfortunately, you will have people left and right flood emergency rooms for little to nothing. Even in healthy people, this passes with time. I don't believe everything the media is putting out. They are over- embellishing and want you to live in fear.

Statistically it’s likely that you and and very likely your children will be fine if you get it. However, people are not statistics. Even in young healthy people, ten times as many die as from a regular flu. That 1% death rate is not for people like me - my rate is 8% likely to die - or my mom - her rate is 15%. That one percent means people like you. How many people go to your church or a school or daycare your children attend? Are there at least a hundred? Because if there are a thousand young, healthy people just like you who go to your church, and this goes through your church, you will statistically likely be friends with ten people who had no earthly reason to die last year who die.

Of young and healthy people only about ten percent need ventilators to keep living. An even larger percentage need oxygen. They don’t run to the hospital for a paper cut, they pass out on their kitchen floor and are found dead when their boyfriend texts them and doesn’t get a response. Really happened, in America, just the other day, to an otherwise perfectly healthy young woman who was self monitoring at home. A young man in Zimbabwe died yesterday because his city doesn’t have any ventilators. WITH CARE most young and healthy people live. Most. Ten times as many who would die of flu still die even with the best care. Those who live are not the same afterwards, their lungs are trashed. They will not run marathons, maybe ever.

The bolded part? That's why I was familiarizing myself with my employer's guide for an employee death. My office is 140 people. My overall employer? Almost 14,000. We are going to need that guide.

Healthy 52 year old (no underlying health conditions) with several Ironmans is recovering from it here. https://www.azfamily.com/news/continuing_coverage/coronavirus_coverage/phoenix-man-recovering-from-coronavirus-says-this-isn-t-just/article_186e3e9a-6e41-11ea-9fcb-ff9f1df99bf0.html
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    LoveyChar wrote: »
    @LoveyChar US results are showing that younger and non-immune compromised people aren't an insignificant number of the people being hospitalized with serious complications. So if we decide to let this virus go through 80% of the population quickly, it's unlikely the rest of us will be "carrying on," we'll be grieving for previously healthy loved ones who died because there were not enough medical resources to help everyone recover.

The flu is such that people run to the doctor in fear and it's a virus, which passes in healthy people and this is also what happens with this newest virus. My middle child had the flu when she was a toddler, and I rushed her to the doctor who told me that she had a different strain than the one she was vaccinated from. She passed the virus. Now when my kids, to include my little guy, get a bug or virus, I don't rush to the doctor. I don't. But you have people that get a paper cut or something of the sort and go to the emergency room and unfortunately, you will have people left and right flood emergency rooms for little to nothing. Even in healthy people, this passes with time. I don't believe everything the media is putting out. They are over- embellishing and want you to live in fear.

Statistically it’s likely that you and and very likely your children will be fine if you get it. However, people are not statistics. Even in young healthy people, ten times as many die as from a regular flu. That 1% death rate is not for people like me - my rate is 8% likely to die - or my mom - her rate is 15%. That one percent means people like you. How many people go to your church or a school or daycare your children attend? Are there at least a hundred? Because if there are a thousand young, healthy people just like you who go to your church, and this goes through your church, you will statistically likely be friends with ten people who had no earthly reason to die last year who die.

Of young and healthy people only about ten percent need ventilators to keep living. An even larger percentage need oxygen. They don’t run to the hospital for a paper cut, they pass out on their kitchen floor and are found dead when their boyfriend texts them and doesn’t get a response. Really happened, in America, just the other day, to an otherwise perfectly healthy young woman who was self monitoring at home. A young man in Zimbabwe died yesterday because his city doesn’t have any ventilators. WITH CARE most young and healthy people live. Most. Ten times as many who would die of flu still die even with the best care. Those who live are not the same afterwards, their lungs are trashed. They will not run marathons, maybe ever.

Thanks for this! I go nowhere so thanks for saying this from the perspective of a sane, rational and educated person as opposed to someone on an imaginary high horse and I'm being sincere. My kids are not in school. My husband works from home. I was in healthcare for 4 years of my life. Do you or anyone know how many deceased bodies I've cleaned up? Most people don't. Patients survived surgery to die in their sleep or have stroked out or have a heart attack. I've cried with people after receiving cancer diagnoses and I've held family members' hands after their loved ones passed. My husband has seen people blown into thousands of pieces and I mourned the young men that didn't make it back. I appreciate this from your perspective because it's logical and not self-centered or ignorant.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    Options
    After reading the messages over the past 24 hours I’m going to propose we try to find the positive things we can do in this crisis instead of debating the legitimacy of it. We’ve been “asked” in our community to stay at home and not flood the parks. The more we can do to honor that request, the more it honors the health care workers on the front lines (regardless of whether we agree, the healthcare workers on the front lines are pleading with us to stay at home). I’m interested in hearing the positive creative ways we are all getting our runs and workouts in. I will comply with the request while my pregnant adult daughter as a paramedic is on the front lines. I’m planning to tag #StayHome with any of those that help support this request from our healthcare leaders.

I will run in my neighborhood today #StayHome

Will anyone join me?

Except if people don't believe in the legitimacy of this virus and the effects it's having it won't matter what we do.
  • LoveyChar
    Options
    I only ever run from my neighborhood; this "challenge" would not be new to me.

@rheddmobile Thanks for the above! I go nowhere so thanks for saying this from the perspective of a sane, rational and educated person as opposed to someone on an imaginary high horse and I'm being sincere. My kids are not in school. My husband works from home. I was in healthcare for 4 years of my life. Do you or anyone know how many deceased bodies I've cleaned up? Most people don't. Patients survived surgery to die in their sleep or have stroked out or have a heart attack. I've cried with people after receiving cancer diagnoses and I've held family members' hands after their loved ones passed. My husband has seen people blown into thousands of pieces and I mourned the young men that didn't make it back. I appreciate this from your perspective because it's logical and not self-centered or ignorant.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    After reading the messages over the past 24 hours I’m going to propose we try to find the positive things we can do in this crisis instead of debating the legitimacy of it. We’ve been “asked” in our community to stay at home and not flood the parks. The more we can do to honor that request, the more it honors the health care workers on the front lines (regardless of whether we agree, the healthcare workers on the front lines are pleading with us to stay at home). I’m interested in hearing the positive creative ways we are all getting our runs and workouts in. I will comply with the request while my pregnant adult daughter as a paramedic is on the front lines. I’m planning to tag #StayHome with any of those that help support this request from our healthcare leaders.

I will run in my neighborhood today #StayHome

Will anyone join me?

Except if people don't believe in the legitimacy of this virus and the effects it's having it won't matter what we do.

I’m hopeful that people will come to understand the legitimacy. I think that’s been expressed clearly here on this thread by many including yourself. I also recognize that people learn things in different ways and at different rates. Sometimes finding a way to support others helps the reality sink in.

FWIW - I have asthma. My middle daughter also has asthma and has had pneumonia at least twice per school year from age 18 months through 15 years old. Which is why our family gets flu shots every year. I didn’t understand it at first but trusted my doctor. That knowledge came later in supporting her by following my doctor’s advice. She hasn’t had pneumonia once since we started homeschooling 3 years ago. I worry for her if she catches it.
  • LoveyChar
    Options
    Anyway, @Elise4270 My husband mentioned that show this morning. I'll give it a shot!

On another note, I cooked my homemade pasta today for lunch. It took forever to cook because it was thick but the consistency was perfect and it held up in boiling water, which I was afraid it wouldn't, and it was delicious. I want to bake a dessert next, something from scratch, but I will definitely make the pasta again.
  • LoveyChar
    Options
    @quilteryoyo Yes...!!! ❤️💝💖
  • LoveyChar
    edited March 2020
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    I am going to comment to @LoveyChar from the standpoint of a parent whose child is treating children in Seattle. You, your, husband and your children may very well have COVID-19 not know that you have it and be spreading it to others because you think only the elderly and immune compromised need to self-isolate and let everyone else carry on (and yes I think that attitude is selfish and insensitive and I thought so the first time you posted the comment last week).
    My daughter's practice, the pediatric hospital where she works as well as the clinic she works in have seen many cases of children, not immune compromised, who are VERY sick and yes some could die. They believe the parents could have been asymptomatic and brought it home or the parents thinking kids can't get it took them to the park to play with all the other children who may also be asymptomatic. Seattle has now had to close the parks and children's playgrounds because they were so crowded. I hope it doesn't happen to you but maybe the only way it will ever be real to you, and you will see that yes you do have a responsibility in this situation to take care of others, is if someone within your orbit gets sick and ends up in the hospital. Maybe because you or someone in your family did not take it seriously and transmitted it to them.

I go nowhere. I am probably the least of anyone's, to include your, worries. My children go nowhere. My husband is required to be at work once every two weeks.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    edited March 2020
    Options
    We don't have time for people to learn in their own way. That is how we end up dragging this out even longer.

Edited because I picked the wrong there from auto correct.