March 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    @kimlight2 If it were me, for a marathon I would back off and hope for a fall one, but for a half I would go ahead and do the virtual, then maintain a “half marathon ready” level of fitness and hope for a fall race. For most people without injuries and so on, there’s no real need to cut back from being ready for a half, you can stay there more or less indefinitely once you get to that point.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @Avidkeo I am a quilter, but I didn't know they were called jellyrolls either. Well, I should say I used to quilt. I haven't in a while. I have a quilt top that needs to be quilted. It was supposed to be a gift for my nephew 10 years ago. Hopefully he'll enjoy it if I ever get it done.
    lvpv2py44lj2.jpg It's a log cabin quilt because he was attending Lincoln Memorial University at the time and their sports team nicknames are the Logsplitters.
    Wow!! Great work even if it unfinished.

• hamsterwheel6
    hamsterwheel6 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    Hi guys! Dreadmill run today - it rained all night, and though it wasn't raining in the morning, it was only in the 40's and I just didn't feel like going out in the cold (for me, lol), so did 10K and 1 mile cool down walk.
    Half way through regretted not going out as it was getting boring, but then I thought of @eleanorhawkins who did a HM on the dreadmill and so I kept at it!
    I'm debating on whether to run my HM that was supposed to be on Sunday. I should right? Ok I will. Why not, I'm ready for it so might as well. I do have time goal in mind, but even if I don't make that time I'll probably be glad I did it. Thanks for listening to my rambling.

As for COVID-19, a friend of mine lost her uncle (first death in Toronto)..yes he was 71, but he had no other health problems other than his age. He had never been in the hospital before. The virus took him in 7 days.
    His daughter and son-in-law are in fact Dr's at that same hospital and they were devastated as he had to die alone as they could no longer do anything.
    I have one completely blocked artery in my heart - the RCA. So yeah.
    It is very real. It is not over hyped. It is not fear.

Biggest hugs.

Thank you. And same to you, I know we all worry about you as well. Please take care.
  • hamsterwheel6
    Options
    Hi guys! Dreadmill run today - it rained all night, and though it wasn't raining in the morning, it was only in the 40's and I just didn't feel like going out in the cold (for me, lol), so did 10K and 1 mile cool down walk.
    Half way through regretted not going out as it was getting boring, but then I thought of @eleanorhawkins who did a HM on the dreadmill and so I kept at it!
    I'm debating on whether to run my HM that was supposed to be on Sunday. I should right? Ok I will. Why not, I'm ready for it so might as well. I do have time goal in mind, but even if I don't make that time I'll probably be glad I did it. Thanks for listening to my rambling.

As for COVID-19, a friend of mine lost her uncle (first death in Toronto)..yes he was 71, but he had no other health problems other than his age. He had never been in the hospital before. The virus took him in 7 days.
    His daughter and son-in-law are in fact Dr's at that same hospital and they were devastated as he had to die alone as they could no longer do anything.
    I have one completely blocked artery in my heart - the RCA. So yeah.
    It is very real. It is not over hyped. It is not fear.

@hamsterwheel6 I feel your dreadmill pain. It doesn't get any easier! If you're intending to run your HM on it, be prepared to take a lot longer than you would outside :-(
    My new plan called for 4 miles at an easy pace this morning. Except what Hal (Higdon) claims should be my easy pace was hard as heck on that thing. Still, better than nothing.
    Tomorrow I'm meant to do 400m intervals at 5k pace. I know which button I need to press for the prescribed pace. I have no idea whether A.) I'll fly off the back cause my legs won't be able to keep up, or B.) I'll die before I manage 400m at that pace once, let alone 8 times!
    I will report back in about 12 hours' time, if I'm not nursing broken bones (distinct possibility, there's now a brick wall directly behind the dreadmill cause husband turned it round so he can walk on it while watching TV)

I'm hoping not to, to be honest! Weather is looking to nice and much warmer, so I'm pretty hopeful!

Oh no! Husband needs to move it back!
    Good luck with the intervals and be careful!
  • hamsterwheel6
    Options
    @quilteryoyo Thanks :) And really beautiful quilt! Looks great.
  • hamsterwheel6
    Options
    kimlight2 wrote: »
    Just received the official word that the Cleveland Marathon was changed to virtual. :( I am at a loss for what I want to do. I really don't want my first half to be virtual because I really think I want the atmosphere which is strange for ultra introverted me to say. I feel like if I am going to work that hard I want a crowd to cheer for me. LOL. So what should I do? I have 5 more weeks of mileage building before my taper and my first 10 mile run planned for tomorrow. Do I keep going and just not run the race? Do I begin reducing my mileage until I get to a sustainable level for a few weeks until I need to start building for a fall half? Do I pour myself a hard cider and sit on the front porch (away from everyone) and contemplate the meaning of life and why I run? If you were in my shoes what would you do?

Yeah a HM I would do, not sure about a full. Then again, I don't have any plans to do a full so I can't say.
    Do what you feel comfortable with, and most of all enjoy the experience!
  • hamsterwheel6
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    March Goal: 90 Miles

3/1: 7.62 miles
    3/2: 5.05 miles
    3/3: 5.02 miles
    3/5: 5.05 miles
    3/8: 7.60 miles
    3/10: 5.32 miles
    3/11: 5.26 miles
    3/12: 5.25 miles
    3/14: 9.05 miles
    3/16: 5.55 miles
    3/17: 5.35 miles
    3/18: 5.02 miles
    3/22: 9.02 miles
    3/24: 6.25 miles
    3/25: 5.52 miles

91.93/90 miles completed for March

291.01/1000 miles for Run the Year Team Pavement Pounders

I ran 5.5 miles this morning. It was perfect running weather about 56°F with low humidity. The sun was shining and it was just a lovely day. And I met my goal for March. I think that running is really helping me to deal with all of this stress lately. Then I came on here to read the thread and now I feel worse than I did before.

Edited to add: As I was posting this I heard several car horns honking and just lots of commotion on the street. I got up to look and see what it was. It was a line of teachers and school staff in their cars driving down the street with signs and waving at their students who are stuck at home. I know it wasn't for me, but it kind of made me feel better.

exercise.png

2020 races:
    5/16/20: Run for 57th AHC Half Marathon

The teachers would have made my day too! Glad you were able to get out and run!
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,973 Member
    Options
    @kimlight2 If it were me, for a marathon I would back off and hope for a fall one, but for a half I would go ahead and do the virtual, then maintain a “half marathon ready” level of fitness and hope for a fall race. For most people without injuries and so on, there’s no real need to cut back from being ready for a half, you can stay there more or less indefinitely once you get to that point.

This is what I would do.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    I wish I could go for a run, but stuck waiting on the HVAC guy who they said he would be here "sometime today"

Erf the sun just came out too.

I had to wait for the plumber Sunday and missed my run. Luckily when they replaced it Tuesday Justin was home so I hid in the office and worked.

I really need to get a plumber in here too. You flush one toilet and the shower loses HOT WATER. Like seriously. Something funky going on. But that will take money and I am too busy spending that on canceled races right now LOL

Yah ours cost us $79 for the visit/see whats wrong then $1700 to replace. But Id rather spend that then have my house start on fire. The water heater was 11 years old and had overheated a few times apparently!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    hanlonsk wrote: »
    Well, so much for catching up on the last several days .... I guess hot dogs is no longer our most controversial topic.....

I should have posted a picture of my lunch today :D
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Officially the first day of lockdown here, but our family has been self-isolating since school closed on Monday afternoon. I headed out for a run around 10am and there were significantly more people out and about walking and running than usual (especially at that time of the day - lots of dads running, obviously home from work). Everyone was pretty good at the 2m distance thing, however, I did opt to stick to the streets where there is a lot more room, rather than my usual path along the water's edge which is way prettier but fairly narrow in places. Bonus is, there were very few vehicles on the road so I had no qualms about running on the road where I needed to. Any close encounters were eliminated after about 20 minutes when it started to tip with rain. Then I had the entire suburb to myself. Lovely.

My coach has us all making the most of building our aerobic base - we're going to be soooo fit by the end of the 28 days (if it ends then). Today's session was an hour - 15 minutes warm up at aerobic pace, then 30 minutes at tempo (half marathon pace), then another 15 minutes at aerobic pace to cool down. I arrived home just over a minute early and was happy to cover nearly 11km in that time. I think the cool rain really helped - it was glorious.

Yes so many people our walking! Amazing really. I am still going out at my usual time mostly, though tomorrow I'll be out a little later, after the sun is up for a change! Can't wait for my run tomorrow! Then a long run on Saturday.

And a 3 day weekend! Oh wait...