WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2020

Options

Replies

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Katla49 wrote: »
    M in OZ: It sounds as though the hospital didn’t have adequate protection for its employees. I am sorry there is an outbreak. :cry:

Katla in NW Oregon
    Katla - I don’t know about Tasmania but here in Alberta the definition of Outbreak is not as dire as it sounds.

We at the nursing home are considered to be on Outbreak as per the below guidelines from AHS

Case Definition/COVID-19 Symptoms
    Outbreak Definition
    * Onset of new illness including:
    o cough, OR
    o fever (over 38 degrees Celsius), OR o shortness of breath, OR
    o sore throat, OR
    o runny nose, OR
    o diarrhea (only if in residents/clients
    of congregate settings), OR
    o vomiting (only if in residents/clients
    in congregate settings)
    (fever may not be prominent in elderly individuals)
    Suspected COVID-19 outbreak
    o one resident/client or staff member who exhibits any of the symptoms of COVID-19
    Probable COVID-19 outbreak
    o two or more individuals (residents/clients or staff) who are linked with each other who exhibit any of the symptoms or COVID-19. Individuals who are linked have a connection to each other (e.g. share a room, dine at the same table, received care from the same staff member, etc.)
    Confirmed COVID-19 outbreak:
    o any one individual confirmed to have COVID-19 including:
    o any resident/client who is confirmed to have COVID-19 o any staff member who is confirmed to have COVID-19

Yes ... I think there are 13 people at that hospital or associated with that hospital in northern Tasmania who have COVID-19. It started with one staff member on April 5 and now they've found 13, almost all of whom are staff members. They are investigating where these staff members may have come in contact with it.

Unfortunately it is a relatively small hospital and if 13 have it, more could. It also potentially puts patients (who are in there for other things) in danger. So I think patients are being tested, then moved to another hospital ... which puts pressure on that hospital's resources ...

http://health.tas.gov.au/news/2020/nwrh_staff_test_positive_for_coronavirus
    http://health.tas.gov.au/news/2020/two_nwrh_staff_test_positive_for_coronavirus
    http://health.tas.gov.au/news/2020/coronavirus_update_7_april_2020

M in Oz

I wonder how many of the people that hospital is moving to other hospitals are false negatives. Yikes.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Barbara
    auntiebk wrote: »
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: stroll with Barb, Post Office, Grocery Outlet, Freddies, KFC, Zoom Line Dance together with 5 of the regulars
    Bonus: more veg prep
    Get to do: Shadow and Tumble to vet, BB&B, invest 10 mins cleaning Living Rm carry over cleaning Kitchen/Laundry, Office + Guest Bth, Call Lee, finish Aunt Elsie’s stove and test light oven, bake cookies for Joe, call Carolyn, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine.
    Reward: inventory seeds, plan garden, order replenishments.
    Coping Calendar Day 16: rediscover music that lifts your spirits
    Line Dancing music, especially “I love it when you call me Senorita.”
    Coping Calendar Day 17: learn something new, do something creative
    Learning to navigate Zoom for virtual dance togethers

A question about C-19 immunity, once one has survived the disease and is immune, does that mean they can no longer carry the infection to others?

Amber the story of those triplets touched me deeply. Thank you. Like them, my “real Mother” was my mama.
    Rebecca Dorothy Hamill indeed!
    Barbie brava for takikng the high road on the TP.
    Margaret the Chimes story also touched me deeply. Read an essay by Italian Physician Amedeo Capetti “Grateful for each breath…” that also resonated.
    SuziQ “You need two $5 bills :lol:
    Rita :love: love it when the desert blooms!
    Julie hooray for the vinyl gloves score. No gloves or individual packets of “Wet Ones” antibacterial wipes here… and TP is rationed, but like Barbie we’re ok for now.
    Welcome @PipAlways in Nebraska. We already have a pip in WA, she applies her boot to us when needed. We’re glad you found us too!
    Janet O in E.MO it is so important for our wellbeing to have something constructive to do, glad your mom has found hers making masks.
    Katla I was so dissatisfied with the paperback I picked up at Freddie’s last week, I decided to borrow a page from you and am re-reading a most favorite cosy mystery series by Charlotte MacLeod. Ah. Just right.
    Pip I could curl up with your dogs, both present and beyond.
    Machka I can mimic that ginger cat’s look!

Our first attempt at Zoom Line Dancing together/apart was a little rocky with audio and familiarity issues, but way better than dancing alone. Some joined from their phones, others from laptops or tablets. Everybody felt better and was eager to try again Friday. Old schedule, new normal.

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    April: better than March.
    daily: steps=7516  vits=6.5 log=7 CI<CO=4 CI<250<CO=3 Tumble & Shadow 5=4 mfp=7 clean 10 mins=6 outside=5 up hill=7
    wkly: BB&B x3=0 rx=1 dance=1!!!
    mnthly: board mtg=0 grant=0 review 20for20=0
    bonus: AF=5 play=0 sew=0

Barbara This is a very good question. Since the virus can be recovered from the nasal passages of dogs, which appear to be immune to the virus, it is logical that the same can be true of humans who are immune to the virus. The inoculum (number of viruses present in a sneeze or a cough) would be far lower than for a person who was actively infected, but still…are there true 'carriers'? This is a question scientists are scrambling to find out. The more dangerous, in my view, are people who are actually currently infected, but in an asymptomatic prodrome stage (no symptoms yet, but infected with the virus busily replicating away) because their sneeze or cough has a huge inoculum and they are highly contagious. This could be you or me or the neighbor's child or the guy that brings the Amazon package or the guy you are talking to in the parking lot.

Maintaining social distance is no easy task, but it's so important. We literally take our lives into our own hands every time we go out. Because it now appears that airborne spread from breathing and talking is possible, even social distancing is not good enough. Barriers over the eyes (glasses or goggles) and mouth/nose (mask), even if they are not medical grade, further helps to decrease the risk of getting or giving C-19.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,835 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Pyjamas!! And I have to say I wear my evening comfy-wear from about mid-morning to mid-evening and pjs the rest of the time. :)

Except for exercise. I do change into exercise clothes once a day.

"While it seems a surprise sales on items like nightwear have increased, spending on small luxuries during times of hardship isn’t new – in fact it’s a phenomenon dubbed the “lipstick effect”.

The theory is that when facing an economic crisis consumers are less likely to spend big, instead spending on less costly luxury goods that make them feel better, like a lipstick."

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/fashion/fashion-trends/life-in-lockdown-sales-of-pyjamas-more-than-double/news-story/a1de45ab3f5709ead8b840096824946b

Machka in Oz
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,525 Member
    Options
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,828 Member
    Options
    <3
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    Morning, afternoon and evening all,

Just chugging along in my corner... honestly feeling a little guilty at how little my life has changed, while the world around me is getting stranger every moment.

Work vent - boring, I'm sure, so I hid it. :)
    Right now, my CEO is jumping up and down (metaphorically... and remotely) saying "get more grants, get more grants," and asking "why did we get denied," when the answer is always the same -- donors are focused on people with basic needs, food, rent, job losses, and so on. Supporting Girl Scouts, to put it bluntly, is seen as supporting a luxury in these troubled times. Frustrating, but completely understandable. At the same time, these girls desperately need something to stay the same in a very scary world. We can and do supply that - stability, sanity, a way to talk to each other remotely, as well as staff and volunteers. They need this so much right now!

While I'm not the only one running into brick walls in serial fashion, it's giving me a dang headache. Even this issue is not new, though--many of the big foundations and United Ways were turning to support those same basic causes long before covid came along.

Hard to get the massive organizations to see that while they will absolutely be able to help people that way, they're treating a symptom. If they don't cure the root cause, the symptoms never go away. Once they've fed them, and housed them, they've taught them that they will be fed and housed, instead of teaching them how to get out of the situation. Believe me, I truly understand that when you are that poor, it's really hard to think beyond the immediate outlook--I am in no way downplaying the need (especially now) of those who don't know where that next meal is coming from.

Nonetheless, Girl Scouting was created to help all girls see their own potential, and for those who live in poor families, to help them see their way out. A large part of my job is finding funding so girls whose families can't afford the $25 membership fee still get a chance to be Girl Scouts, to see a different future. We fund thousands of girls' memberships every year for just that reason--so they see the leader inside themselves, and are given the tools to create a better future for themselves and their families.

Don't need solutions, honestly, just trying to get it all off my head so I can put my head down and go back to work. :)

Welcome to those who are new, we're so pleased you're here.

KJ - it was good to see you pop in with an icon... we do worry about our little family here...

Allie - thinking about you, girl.

Time to go get my groove on on the elliptical. The best part about exercising at home is I can sing to all the songs. :)

Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,687 Member
    Options
    Morning Ladies
    Feeling better .. was going to grocery shop early today but not up for it.
    Rainy day and I have my list set.. will do laundry and dishes today..
    Having a great cup of tea...
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,835 Member
    Options
    She was shocked that a lot of folks were gathered in the meeting room at a pot-luck birthday lunch for the boss, whooping it up and laughing just like old times, and she heard coughing. She refused to join the crowd.
    Lanette
    Sunny SW WA State

WOW! That would be a minimum $1000 fine for each one of them if they did that here.

M in Oz