Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Why do people keep defending sugar?

Replies

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,978 Member
    Well, yes, usual disclaimer - unless you have a medical reason to avoid it.

Nobody is suggesting diabetics are fine eating bars of candy.

Just like, say, bread - nothing wrong with eating bread.

Obviously not including people with coeliac disease.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    On the negative side: I would guess that for a lot of people, sugar is probably [1] not very satiating for the calories, and [2] doesn't provide much added benefit other than energy (ie not energy + a minimum required macro or micro).. so probably something to at least somewhat limit if you have particularly limited calories to work with.

on the positive side: For those that are active, [1] some calorie dense options are a good thing (there may be a lot of exercise calories to make up), and [2] quick, easily digestible fuel (ie sugar) can be pretty important for those doing long intense cardio. Sugar becomes pretty d*mn important then.

I normally use splenda to sweeten my morning oatmeal (to avoid the extra sugar calories), but yet have top tube bags on all of my bikes whose sole purpose is to hold pouches of fruit snacks (basically gelatinized sugar). Also worth noting that those fruit snack pouches I carry on rides, runs, and hikes have come in handy on multiple occasions for someone in the group who felt their sugar levels crashing (diabetics in a few of the cases).
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    Hey, @purplebobkat - you okay? Last we heard you were self-isolating and having shortness of breath on the 15th...
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    A bit of sugar doesn't hurt most people. Now if you have the beetus... avoid it like the plague.
  • amorfati601070
    amorfati601070 Posts: 2,861 Member
    Prolly cause of cellular respiration.
  • mommabear4315
    mommabear4315 Posts: 3,424 Member
    Because sugar is cocaine or crack which ever you prefer. Lol.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    gothchiq wrote: »
    A bit of sugar doesn't hurt most people. Now if you have the beetus... avoid it like the plague.

Lol... I get your point, but diabetics can have fruit...
    Because sugar is cocaine or crack which ever you prefer. Lol.

I prefer opiates..... actually in the "reward" pathway, it is more "like" an opiate, but not an opiate... make sense?
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Sugar is neither to defend or demonize. It depends on your nutritional needs. If those are met and you have calories left over sugar can fill some of that gap. Overuse will cause problems, as will almost anything else. Why is moderation such a difficult concept for some? Athletes, people that burn a lot of calories may need that energy and quickly. Sugar has it's place.

Agree with all this. I use sugar/candy for quick energy before my lifting sessions. While it may not be nutritious I find it very beneficial (vegetables or fruit even would not have the same effect), so OP those "bad" effects you speak of are actually the effects I seek.

I made no mention of the bad effects of sugar (although they are numerous), I just asked why people defend sugar so much.

I consume too much sugar (like most people), but I understand it's bad for me & would never defend it. I just wondered why so many on this app are constantly doing so.

Cuz it's delicious!🤤
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Sugar is neither to defend or demonize. It depends on your nutritional needs. If those are met and you have calories left over sugar can fill some of that gap. Overuse will cause problems, as will almost anything else. Why is moderation such a difficult concept for some? Athletes, people that burn a lot of calories may need that energy and quickly. Sugar has it's place.

Agree with all this. I use sugar/candy for quick energy before my lifting sessions. While it may not be nutritious I find it very beneficial (vegetables or fruit even would not have the same effect), so OP those "bad" effects you speak of are actually the effects I seek.

I made no mention of the bad effects of sugar (although they are numerous), I just asked why people defend sugar so much.

I consume too much sugar (like most people), but I understand it's bad for me & would never defend it. I just wondered why so many on this app are constantly doing so.
    Why do you think it's bad for you? Because you overconsume it? That's NOT sugar's fault.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

You're coming in very late to this thread.

The last post made by the OP he/she stated that he might have the virus.

Weeks ago...and no further posts. :(
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,488 Member
    penny30030 wrote: »
    well sugar could be demonized, my daughters doctor told her sugar is like sandpaper in your veins. And, fruit sugar is not equal to processed granulated sugar, which is the culprit. Processing food is the problem.

I would just ask how sugar "like sandpaper" gets in your veins, unless you're shooting it up? I really don't understand this.
    Lol, if sugar is like sandpaper in your veins, the plaque wouldn't be an issue.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,488 Member

Why do you think it's bad for you? Because you overconsume it? That's NOT sugar's fault.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Just saw that. Hoping for the best. How have you been? It's been awhile for me (with the exception of my daily check in posts).

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

The OP was still active March 30th. Fingers crossed.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    I can't believe these debates are still going on...