WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2020

Options

Replies

• onward1
    onward1 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I've been silently following this thread since May 1st, my first real day back at MFP. Nice to hear everyone's stories, the Dad stories have brought a tear to my eyes, all so sweet. I love all the baby/ kid/grandchildren pictures also, and keep the sunny photo pics coming, please, as I woke up to snow and a bit of rain. I don't have a cell phone, probably the last person on the planet to not own one, or I'd post a photo. Oh, and the talking/singing dog with the Beatles song, had me laughing and crying at the same time. And, yes, I wipe just about everything down that I bring into the house, I don't go out often and when I do it all seems so bizarre, all of us with our face masks on. What will the new normal be, I wonder. Nice to meet you all...:) Pam in Vermont
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,307 Member
    Options
    ☘️
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,663 Member
    Options
    yesterday's stats

Bike ride home 2 sumner station w/heavy bkpack- 1hr 3min, 141mhr, 12.6amph, 13.23mi= 501c
    apple watch- 476c
    walk sta 2 wrk w/heavy bkpack- fell- 8.03min, 113mhr, .54mi= 43c
    apple watch- 50c
    walk wrk 2 sta w/bkpack- 8min, 103mhr, .53mi= 16c
    apple watch- 52c
    Bike ride dome 2 hm- 17.53min, 144mhr, 8.7amph, 2.59mi= 161c
    apple watch- 148c

total 757 cal
  • BeUncommon
    BeUncommon Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Pam > Nice to meet you and welcome to the group. I am also new here so just getting to know people x I should be wiping everything down but I am so damn lazy to do it.. I do wash my hands alot though but should be taking more care. I don't go out hardly at all so no worries there but yes if you can catch from other items being brought into the house that is scary!

Pip > Wow well done on the calorie burn!!

Matchka > That looks so beautiful :) I have always wanted to go to Australia!! It is on my bucket list. I have to admit that I am a crazy fan of the aussie accent though.. I just want to go and listen to everyone talk!! it is the best thing ..lol :)

Tonya
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Pip: Uneven sidewalks are a curse, especially when one section in the direction we’re walking raises up and turns into a trip hazard. :grumble: I hope you’re already feeling better. :flowerforyou:

Peachy: I don’t wipe down my groceries. I usually shop early and the products are tidy in their display cases. I do wear gloves, though. :star:

SuziQ: Lovely view! :bigsmile:

I had an unexpected call from our niece yesterday. She is an xray technician at a Beaverton area hospital and was called into work in order to help patients find their way to appointments. Her department is not open right now and she was happy for the opportunity to earn a paycheck. I was delighted to hear from her.

I’m up unusually early this morning. The dog wanted to go outside for a potty break. I cleaned up after him and am enjoying a cup of coffee. Outside it is misty/foggy and a few early fishermen are walking down the ramps to their boats.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,099 Member
    Options
    BeUncommon wrote: »
    Matchka > That looks so beautiful :) I have always wanted to go to Australia!! It is on my bucket list. I have to admit that I am a crazy fan of the aussie accent though.. I just want to go and listen to everyone talk!! it is the best thing ..lol :)

Tonya

:)

There are actually several different Australian accents. :grin:

And apparently my Canadian-Australian accent sounds Irish. I've never been to Ireland, but evidently, to an Australian ear, I sound Irish. Go figure!

M in Oz

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Tonya Even if an infected customer or a stocker in a grocery store is wearing a mask, if they sneeze or cough, a small amount of the aerosolized mist still gets through the mask, and it contains lots and lots of virus particles. The mist-containing virus particles float in the air for quite some time, and land on surfaces in the surrounding area - boxes, bottles, cartons, packaging, cans, produce, other people, checkout counters, plastic bags in dispensers, grocery carts, display case fronts, scoops in the coffee grinding and peanut butter grinding areas…Everywhere. If the virus particles land on a slick surface, such as hard plastic, metal, glass, or smooth-skinned fruits and vegetables, the virus remains viable for several hours up to 3 days. That is why I take a bucket of soapy water and a washcloth with me when I go to the grocery store. If you haven't seen these videos, they may be of interest to you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=238&v=vBvFkQizTT4&feature=emb_logo

>>>

And this one showing how much masks really do help, even if they aren't perfect:

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2007800?query=featured_home

>>>

Karen in Virginia
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,969 Member
    Options
    :'(<3Barbara, I am so sorry to hear about the death of your dance teacher. So many of my students are a lot older than I am and I worry that they might die or "age out" of dancing during this long break and I'll never know what happened.

:* Jake just told me about his friend who has diabetes and cancer and although he had surgery on his foot less than two weeks ago, took his 93 year old mom out shopping all over town yesterday because some businesses were open.

:) My father was an awesome man who was well respected wherever he went. One of the many great lessons I learned from him was "The way to save money is to not spend it."

:)Heather, just like you, I have my schedules and procedures and the people who care about me understand that I am what I am. These qualities mean that I get things done, don't waste time on unnecessary stuff, and can be counted on to do what I promise.

:)Tonya, you are quite intuitive to realize that a political comment wouldn't be OK on this thread. We stay away from topics that could be divisive. We have so many topics that bind us together that we never run out of stuff to talk about.

:)Machka, I loved the story of Rhody's adventure.

<3 Barbie in NW WA

• JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Machka- Lol Aladdin was my favorite lol 😂

Tonya- My Mom lost her cancer battle (30years she had it) I was pregnant with JR few months after. Your Daughter so pretty!

Got a call last night telemarking but it showed California same district as the hospital the Navy uses It hung up the second I tried to answer bam 💥! I panicked. Doesn’t help Navy Daughter won’t ever set up voicemail or answer her cell! I texted up a storm ! Nothing I was in a frenzy! Finally she answered calmed me down she asked if I googled the number. No I forgot to. Googled said Telemarketing. Still would have panicked Incase the number was reissued to a person on base. Darn telemarking needs to stop its the pandemic not time to call under 100’s of numbers! Especially since her base has Covid!

Amber Tx
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,322 Member
    Options
    Barbie - One of the reasons I like the Saga cruises is because everything is so well organised and punctual to the minute. I don't have to get myself agitated because things are not done correctly, or to my standard. It's very relaxing. On board I have my own strict routine with lots of dancing and exercise, so my whole day is taken care of. The programme arrives the night before. The excursions are very carefully planned and executed. All this precision and high standards is very rare, but I love it. If I have a complaint, they always put it right straight away. Who knows when we old people will be able to enjoy cruising again? :s
    The wonderful holidays we used to take long haul were amazing experiences, but much more stressful. I used to stress poor DH out with my complaints. :o>:) I made him cry a few times. :*

Done my bonus calories. :D AF day for me. Fake rosé wine.

Tomorrow is our 17th 'meeting anniversary ', so I'm now going to make a card and wrap DH'S present. Chocolate truffles and Elly Griffiths' latest. Also wash my hair.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Machka9
    Options
    To all the newcomers ...

k1izj0r7dms9.png

And something I need to remember these days as I attempt to do 115 things at once ...

wfwh6apbj1kw.png

And with that ... it's time for bed!

Machka in Oz

• Machka9
    edited May 2020
    Options
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    What have you learned from this experience that surprised you?

Kim from N. California

How easy this was! I actually expected more ... I don't know ... emotion or difficulties or something because I kept reading about how hard this was for everyone. But the shutdown lifestyle isn't that much different than my normal lifestyle, it just got rid of the unpleasant parts.

How much I would love, love, love to keep going with the shutdown as it is for another 6 months ... maybe longer. Every time I hear that we might be relaxing the restrictions a bit, I have a wave of "not happy" emotions. I know some businesses need to open for the economy, but I'd dearly love to keep all the good parts of shutdown ... like staying home and away from people.

How many people have been out walking and cycling, and how friendly everyone is. :) Let's hope we can keep that part!

I could keep going, but it really is time for bed. I have to drag myself out of bed at 8:55 am to join a 9 am uni workshop. So happy I don't have to go in person!

M in Oz
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    (((Barbara))): So sad for the loss of your dance teacher. :broken_heart:

Amber: I lost my mom more than 20 years ago. She had a fear of lung cancer. She may have had it in the end, but it didn’t cause her death. She died of emphysema from smoking cigarettes. :sad:

I think telemarketing is an invasion of privacy and always hang up on them. When I block a caller they just shift to another line and still invade my privacy. I am not pleased with this. There used to be a no-call list, but that went away with the advent of automatic dialers. We block them anyway. It isn't perfect but the number of sales calls has dropped somewhat.

I looked up the Covid stats for our area. Our county has no active cases and no deaths. I rarely see a person in a store who is not wearing a mask. Portland and Salem are the two areas in Oregon with the most cases. I think Washington County numbers are also higher.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    B)