Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Why do people keep defending sugar?

Replies

• PaperDoll_
    PaperDoll_ Posts: 32,841 Member
    Sugar 🥰

That is all.

Carry on.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Research followers of Fruitarianism..... dont get much more sugar in ones diet than that..... how many are obese? Sugar is fine...... just limit the processed stuff (including honey) and enjoy natural sugars more with the benefits of fiber and micronutrients...
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,926 Member
    Well, sugar is natural too,it grows in nature on sugar canes and is then processed to get to the table sugar we use.

like honey is natural in a bee hive and is then processed to get to the bottles on our table

not sure why honey has been singled out

But I think poster was meaning limit added sugars, including honey, and enjoy sugars already there in whole products, along with nutrients and fibre - eg in an orange

(not saying that is my view, it isnt - but that is what I understood him to be saying)
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Sugar was terrible after antibiotics for me. The GAPS diet helped me to eat sugar again. Now I’m carnivore and have mostly only milk sugar. A high sugar diet can make the body need more vitamins and minerals.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,982 Member
    have you tried Oreo's dunked in coffee?!

that actually sounds really good right now! If I was eating oreo's, that is :g
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member

Oreo's and coffee should never be used in the same sentence together. (and yes, that disagree was from me)

#Iamacoffeesnob

:tongue:
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    During my years growing up, I was surprised to discover that people with diabetes sometimes were short on sugar in their bodies and had to get a quick input to boost them back to normal.

So the lack of sugar is just as bad as too much sugar.
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    Honey isn't a natural sugar? I thought bees were part of nature.

He didn't say honey is unnatural. He said it is processed. Bees do indeed do a kind of processing when making honey. He also clarifies that the issue is when sugar is uncoupled from fiber. It becomes easier to over consume sugar when it isn't with fiber, and it doesn't really matter to your taste buds if the fiber is removed by industrial processes or via bee gut rumination - the fiber's gone, reduced to atoms.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    Sugar was terrible after antibiotics for me. The GAPS diet helped me to eat sugar again. Now I’m carnivore and have mostly only milk sugar. A high sugar diet can make the body need more vitamins and minerals.

No, the body will not need more because of the sugar, but you may have to take in more to get the amount the body needs because of competing metabolic pathways. Vitamin C is a good example of this - vitamin C and glucose share the same metabolic pathway for absorption and the body will prioritize glucose over vitamin C, so it takes more intake of vitamin C to absorb the amount that the body actually needs.
    Every carnivore that pays attention knows about glucose and vitamin c fighting for absorption. You didn’t have to say no because it is because of the sugar making or increasing more glucose. There are other vitamins that get depleted like most of the b vitamins, zinc, and magnesium to name a few. I don’t think sugar in moderation is bad but when you go overboard, you may want to take a multivitamin and eat more nutrient dense foods then or the next day. The sugar bunch have struck the disagree button. I’m not sure why I posted in the main forums again. Haha.
  • Zoomie402
    Zoomie402 Posts: 260 Member

No, but I will now!
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,311 Member
    I need sugar when I lift: two hours training means I deplete my energy stores (medical issue) and quick sugar in the form of dextrose tablets or in something like a sport drink means I can complete my session. Then I’ll go and have a balanced meal. Absolutely nothing wrong with it in moderation. I am also addicted to pineapple - tonnes of sugar in that.
  • threewins
    threewins Posts: 1,455 Member
    In answer to your subject heading question: two reasons 1. They enjoy it 2. They can't stop having it.
  • threewins
    threewins Posts: 1,455 Member
    threewins wrote: »
    In answer to your subject heading question: two reasons 1. They enjoy it 2. They can't stop having it.

Are you asserting there is no real grounds for disagreement, it's simply a matter of sugar addiction driving people to state a point of view they would otherwise not?

Some of the time, yes. I see people here on myfitnesspal message boards saying how they have sugar every day. I also see how infrequently people reach their goal weight here. Are the two related? Maybe.