Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Coronavirus prep

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,072 Member
    Here the contact tracers ask who you have been in close contact with for at least 15 minutes. I guess because you don't know the names of everyone you passed at Walmart.

Or you have a phone app that can be used for tracing who you have been in close contact with for more than15 minutes.

Of course that wont work totally even if you had a willing population - there are people who dont have mobile phones or who don't take them everywhere - but that is the idea: if you test positive, it traces people like someone stuck in a supermarket queue or a Dr's waiting room etc who you did not know.

We are now at zero cases in South Australia and opening things up again - you can go to weddings/funerals/social or sporting clubs with social distancing restrictions - and the co ordinaters of the event need to keep lists of names and phone numbers and arrival/leaving time of attendees.
    Which is easy enough to do

The functionality was added to phones in the US (Android and iPhone), but not enabled because waiting on the government to come up with the other piece.

If you have an Android phone, go under Settings, then GOOGLE settings and it's there.. If you have an IPhone, go to settings, privacy then health.

Thanks. I found it. Apparently it won't work anyway if you don't leave Bluetooth enabled all the time, which is a bad security practice.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Here the contact tracers ask who you have been in close contact with for at least 15 minutes. I guess because you don't know the names of everyone you passed at Walmart.

Or you have a phone app that can be used for tracing who you have been in close contact with for more than15 minutes.

Of course that wont work totally even if you had a willing population - there are people who dont have mobile phones or who don't take them everywhere - but that is the idea: if you test positive, it traces people like someone stuck in a supermarket queue or a Dr's waiting room etc who you did not know.

We are now at zero cases in South Australia and opening things up again - you can go to weddings/funerals/social or sporting clubs with social distancing restrictions - and the co ordinaters of the event need to keep lists of names and phone numbers and arrival/leaving time of attendees.

The functionality was added to phones in the US (Android and iPhone), but not enabled because waiting on the government to come up with the other piece.

If you have an Android phone, go under Settings, then GOOGLE settings and it's there.. If you have an IPhone, go to settings, privacy then health.

Thanks. I found it. Apparently it won't work anyway if you don't leave Bluetooth enabled all the time, which is a bad security practice.

I have my bluetooth connected all the time, but it's always connected to something - headphones, car, watch, etc. At a minimum, I'm seeing phone alerts on my watch.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    In Memphis this morning, at 3 different stores, there was 1 other person wearing a mask... an employee at the last place. I thought Memphis required masks, but apparently it isn't getting enforced.

My understanding is that the city council has passed it but now the mayor has to sign it. And the ordinance doesn’t provide for enforcement. They were talking three warnings, then community service or a $50 fine.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    In Memphis this morning, at 3 different stores, there was 1 other person wearing a mask... an employee at the last place. I thought Memphis required masks, but apparently it isn't getting enforced.

My understanding is that the city council has passed it but now the mayor has to sign it. And the ordinance doesn’t provide for enforcement. They were talking three warnings, then community service or a $50 fine.

Oh, I see. Warnings and a fine / community service is still enforcement. I realize they consider it a civil penalty rather than a criminal citation, but that's outside the point. I just think that more people will do it if they might have to pay a fine for refusing.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    There is a reason people wear masks very well in some of Asia and that is because they help reduce the spread of viruses. The USA is torn by its pass so I think concerns about getting COVID-19 have just dropped off of the radar while are mainly concerned about either removing or protecting some monument(s). Self preservation does not seem to be a concern of the masses. Never saw so many adults trying to make other adults to their will or else.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,217 Member

I'm not sure what you mean by "waiting for the government to come up with the other piece"

In Australia (and Singapore and a few other countries, I believe) the government has set up an app - called Covidsafe and is strongly encouraging people to download it.

JustSomeEm wrote: »

Huh. Thanks for this. I didn't realize they had already put this on our phones. I wonder when it will go active?

I mean the government needs to come up with an app to work with this.

Here's some documentation about it... https://covid19-static.cdn-apple.com/applications/covid19/current/static/contact-tracing/pdf/ExposureNotification-FAQv1.1.pdf

See Page 3 (bold added to emphasize important points):
    To power this solution in the first phase, both companies will release application programming
    interfaces (APIs) that allow contact tracing apps from public health authorities to work across
    Android and iOS devices, while maintaining user privacy. These apps from public health
    authorities will be available for users to download via their respective app stores. Once the app
    is launched, the user will then need to consent to the terms and conditions before the program
    is active.
    The companies plan to make these APIs available in May.

If a match is detected the user will be notified, and if the user has not already
    downloaded an official public health authority app they will be prompted to download an official
    app and advised on next steps. Only public health authorities will have access to this
    technology and their apps must meet specific criteria around privacy, security, and data control.

As of yet, there is no "official public health authority app" - at least not that I'm aware of - to be downloaded from the app stores.

yes thats what I meant before - it only really works on a population scale if many people do it and that wont happen even if there is an app but people dont really know about or it has no government co ordination

Quite different to here where there is an app Covidsafe and everybody has been strongly encouraged to down load it by government promotion.

Some people cant or won't do it - but nobody is unaware of it.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,486 Member
    edited June 2020
    Our state has directed no reusable grocey bags and all the stores have large signs reflecting this guidance. Going through the store a couple had their entire cart filled with stuff in reusable bags..

Hopefully cashier tells them sorry can't check out.